PDA

View Full Version : V70 R clunk when engaging drive

Pauld
Thursday 27th October 2011, 16:27
My R has developed a clunk she going into drive, or reverse.

I sounds as if it is coming from the front off side wheel hub.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

LiamT4
Thursday 27th October 2011, 20:33
Engine mount? My old audi did something similar, garage fitted a new mount and it went away.

burchi
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:07
Sounds like "axle ping". Where the loctite for bolts in the wheel hubs is not so strong.

Resolution is to get XC90 axle bolts as these have rubber grommets on them that set a firm seal against the hub and getting rid of the noise.

Hope this helps

volvokid
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:09
Sounds like "axle ping". Where the loctite for bolts in the wheel hubs is not so strong.

Resolution is to get XC90 axle bolts as these have rubber grommets on them that set a firm seal against the hub and getting rid of the noise.

Hope this helps

Have you got a PN for these my dealer is refusing to fit these????

volvokid
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:49

Hope this helps

Think this is what happened in my C70, Volvo just re loctited the bolts

Nick0
Saturday 29th October 2011, 10:56
Have you got a PN for these my dealer is refusing to fit these????

part number is 30714142

SomeBloke
Sunday 30th October 2011, 07:45
As a matter of interest for us with AWD, do we need to fit these to the rear as well?

M-R-P
Sunday 30th October 2011, 08:44
Had a clonk from front o/s when changing gear, thought it was the cv till I found it was the hub bolt, or lack of it! It's too long to just fall out (nowhere for it to go), looks like plod forgot to put it in at some point :eek: All sorted now tho :)

LeeT5
Monday 31st October 2011, 01:01
Common fault. They all work loose. Remedy is to replace with XC90 bolts. Martyn i am not sure why your dealer is refusing to fit, its actaully the correct modification to cure axle ping!! Some dealers really are thick! they should read their TNNs once in a while and they might learn something.

Make sure you torque the new XC90 bolts to 50Nm not the original 35Nm.

volvokid
Monday 31st October 2011, 01:15
Common fault. They all work loose. Remedy is to replace with XC90 bolts. Martyn i am not sure why your dealer is refusing to fit, its actaully the correct modification to cure axle ping!! Some dealers really are thick! they should read their TNNs once in a while and they might learn something.

Make sure you torque the new XC90 bolts to 50Nm not the original 35Nm.

TBH I dont think they really knew what i ment. Gonna get it sorted out

M-R-P
Monday 31st October 2011, 19:20
If they can't plug it into a laptop or poke it with a stick, they don't wanna know nowerdays. When I had my DIM changed (grrrr) they did a "health check" and found £800 worth of problems but didn't mention my sticky w/g or blocked PCV! tossers.

pwcov
Saturday 5th November 2011, 23:00
Please , what do these bolts connect to , is there a diagramme anywhere.

M-R-P
Saturday 5th November 2011, 23:12
Please , what do these bolts connect to , is there a diagramme anywhere.

You mean the hub bolt?
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00166-20111012-1150.jpg
Bang in the middle of the hub (12mm head - I think) about 90mm long. It pulls the C/V into the hub and has a nasty habit of working loose.

pwcov
Sunday 6th November 2011, 19:29
Thanks for that Martin. Note from the service history from last owner that these where checked and greased? Think XC90 bolts will be the next thing on my list.

Pete W.

M-R-P
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:14
TBH, I don't have XC bolts, but I do have the wheels off quite a bit (big 10 and all that) so I torque them up alot. I can see how they'd work loose and how XC bolts would help.

Nick0
Sunday 6th November 2011, 20:29
As a matter of interest for us with AWD, do we need to fit these to the rear as well?

No, front wheels only. Pop out the centre cap on the wheel and undo the existing bolt (make sure the female thread is clean) and replace with the XC90 bolt, about as simple as you can get. Takes all of 10 minutes each side.

daza-b
Sunday 6th November 2011, 21:16
hi there when i was working with auto gearboxes there was a few reasons, one being the mounts, next being the clutches inside the gearbox are worn, even could go down to being the torque converter, maybe try changing your gearbox fluid (ATF) see if that helps :)

wegal
Tuesday 8th November 2011, 13:02
Hub bolts frist and the correct repair is to use XC90 ones as mentioned. Mine where done under warrenty at volvo and they put the XC90s in.

Then look at the AFT fluid, I just had mine flushed and replaced.. cost £75.60 in fluid and £25 labour. You need 4 litres of fluid ( 2 to flush and 2 to replace) the gear change is much smoother. After that try the software up-dates for the gear box.

After that... well just accept its part of the car cos anything else will be very expensive.

LeeT5
Sunday 13th November 2011, 02:31
Have you sorted the Clunk noise yet??

Assume your car is an auto? If it's a clunk or clonk noise then it won't be the Hub bolt nor axle ping. It's more lightly to be engine mounting related due to the engine rocking lightly backwards or forwards when you select gear. Check your 'lower transmission mount'. They are sh i te!! The small bush can be ripped out with your teeth so they don't last 5 minutes. It will look ok on the car so you will need to remove the entire bushing. It's very easy to do.

Just undo the rear two bolts (14mm i think). see what happens. If the bush falls and swings like a banana then the bush is shagged. Replace with powerflex. Only replace the small bush otherwise your gearchanges will become extremely harsh and not nice to drive in stop start traffic. Takes about 2 minutes to remove with simple tools.

Pauld
Sunday 13th November 2011, 22:11
I have replaced the hub bolts and the clunk is significantly reduced.

I suspect the bush needs doing also.

Thanks for all the advise.

M-R-P
Sunday 13th November 2011, 22:44
If you suspect the bushes, this might help...
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38699
It may also be worth re-tightening the hub bolts.:)

Pauld
Sunday 13th November 2011, 23:21
Torqued them again this morning

M-R-P
Sunday 13th November 2011, 23:25
Hmm, give the bushes a good levering with a bar and see how easily they move. Maybe check the C/V joints again.
You want to go well over the recommended torue settings for the hub bolts too.

M-R-P
Sunday 13th November 2011, 23:26
Hmm, give the bushes a good levering with a bar and see how easily they move. Maybe check the C/V joints again.

LeeT5
Thursday 1st December 2011, 23:55

Oh no you don't! If you strip the threads then you'll be buying a new CV outer at £70.
The XC90 bolts should only be torqued to max 50Nm. Ensure you use a slight amount of thread lock as this will act a lube for the bolt when tightening and prevent it coming out once fitted.

LeeT5
Thursday 1st December 2011, 23:57
Torqued them again this morning

50Nm. :B_thumb:

Redbrick
Friday 2nd December 2011, 00:27
Hub bolts are stretch bolts, you can keep torquing them up but they will eventually go ping which isn't good.

Leeds_finest
Wednesday 7th December 2011, 10:39
I had this problem with my 2004 S60.

XC90 drive shaft bolts, poly upper large/upper small, poly lower large/lower small bushings solved the issue.

Your upper and lower engine/gbox mounts won't always 'look' worn by the way, but they are often haggered more than you may think.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th December 2011, 12:12
Agreed, several of my suspension and torque mount bushes were dhoy. Looked ok but when I gave them a wiggle, they were loose as a tramp's trousers!

Leeds_finest
Saturday 10th December 2011, 10:15
Question guys - I didn't realise the driveshaft bolts were 'stretch' bolts and obviously, once used and then removed, should not be used again.

Now, by looking at them, it seems to me the only difference between the normal S60 bolt and the XC90 bolt is JUST the rubber insert/collar/washer/bung?

When I changed my ball joints, I received brand new driveshaft bolts and didn't use them due to having fitted the XC90 bolts. Could I use the XC90 rubber collar on an otherwise S60 bolt? Surely the bolt is physically the same? Can't buy another set of XC90 bolts they cost approx £15 EACH!

Which torque setting would I use? 50nm or 35nm?

Thanks

LeeT5
Monday 19th December 2011, 23:55
If the thread pitch and length of bolt are the same then yes of course you can use them. With the XC90 rubber washers they MUST be torqued to 50Nm, else they will come loose.

Leeds_finest
Tuesday 20th December 2011, 00:44
If the thread pitch and length of bolt are the same then yes of course you can use them. With the XC90 rubber washers they MUST be torqued to 50Nm, else they will come loose.

I'm fairly certain the thread/pitch/length are all the same, but i'll check tomorrow.

I'll re-fit at 50nm with a touch of thread lock.