PDA

View Full Version : T5/R owners - dies your car smell when you cold start it?

JezF
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 19:08
Always get a nasty rich running smell when the engine is cold, disappears as soon as it's warm and has always done it (3.5 yrs).

It this normal or do I perhaps have an exhaust fanimold leak?

JezF
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 19:09
Soz can't edit title - should say does. Fecking IPhones!

LiamT4
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 20:05
All (petrol) cars will smell a bit rich when cold.
Just depends how bad it is, has it got worse over the years?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 20:57
Cold cars don't run using their lambda sensors until they have warmed up, I won't worry about it an all

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 21:03
Mine stinks when first started. I think they take more fuel/air/effort to start due to the turbo causing lag and the fact it's just a big meaty motor ;)

LiamT4
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 21:05
Think they overfuel to try and get the engine up to running temps quicker.

Niles
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 22:08
At cold the ecu bungs in more fuel 'choke' style. Also, the lambda will take a little while to warm up and more to the point the CAT will take longer to reach 'converting' temperature. Hence...bit of a whiff when cold, pine fresh when warm (if you have a cat). Not so pine fresh if you don't.

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 22:48
The other thing is a smell of rotten eggs, that's the cat heating up which is normal.

JezF
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 23:45
Thanks, no rotten eggs so defo not the cat.

Thing is, two Focus ST's I've owned haven't done it, my Saab 9000 Aero didn't do it either. So, guess it's either the engine design or ageing components that is the cause.

M-R-P
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 23:53
Do I read your sig correctly - lpg? could cause it to be a bit rich when starting but all the T-5s I've seen, and 2.5Ts have been smelly when starting. I wouldn't worry.

Volvostorm
Thursday 27th October 2011, 00:05
LPG won't cause it, from cold it won't be running on gas, well, mine doesn't.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 27th October 2011, 00:38
I love the smell of napalm in the morning...

JezF
Thursday 27th October 2011, 07:17
lol!

LPG starts after the engine temp hits 40c.

M-R-P
Thursday 27th October 2011, 10:24
I kinda meant that having a 3rd party duel fuel system might be upsetting the ecu or causing fuel flow issues in the manifold ;)

JezF
Thursday 27th October 2011, 23:24
It's a thought but I don't think so as it doesn't really do anything until it activates. It's also BRC, so a proven piece of kit.

volvokid
Thursday 27th October 2011, 23:52
TBH I've never had that smell in any of the Volvo's I've had

theflyingbrick
Thursday 27th October 2011, 23:58
the only smell i get is from the passengers when i show them what a t5 is all about ;)

Volvostorm
Friday 28th October 2011, 00:10
It's a thought but I don't think so as it doesn't really do anything until it activates. It's also BRC, so a proven piece of kit.

Same kit on mine :)

JezF
Friday 28th October 2011, 09:12
Same kit on mine :)

Ah! How long have you had yours for?

Mine's been fitted for 65,000 miles now and works 100%. Diesel economy with petrol performance.

JezF
Friday 28th October 2011, 09:20
the only smell i get is from the passengers when i show them what a t5 is all about ;)

Really? I've never found mine particularly rapid and the boost gauge goes well beyond the max, it is an auto mind.

Maybe I'm just used to much faster cars. Previous Lotus was 0-60 in 3.7s and 0-100 in 8.5s - now that is proper straight line performance. http://www.essexautosport.com/content/upgrades/upg_tokachi.html

Having said that, I still love the car, that's why I've still got it 3.5 years later after planning to run it for a couple of months! :B_blite:

bigrotch
Friday 28th October 2011, 09:58
i had that smell when first starting etc i cued it buy kicking my wife out the car alot better now pmsl

Volvostorm
Friday 28th October 2011, 19:13
Ah! How long have you had yours for?

Mine's been fitted for 65,000 miles now and works 100%. Diesel economy with petrol performance.

Will be 3 this this February, but, its been off the road since September last year.

Think I've done 10,000 miles with it, I totally agree with your statement, even though my engine builder hates it! :D

JezF
Friday 28th October 2011, 20:49
I think a lot of people don't have a clue about LPG, also many people who slag it off as a bit of an unknown and also badly setup systems can be a nightmare.

For me, I do 20,000+ miles a year so it would be bonkers to run a really thirsty car and an auto 850R likes a bit of a drink!

Volvostorm
Friday 28th October 2011, 21:04
I'll let you know what it is like on 350+bhp T5!

theflyingbrick
Friday 28th October 2011, 23:26
Really? I've never found mine particularly rapid and the boost gauge goes well beyond the max, it is an auto mind.

Maybe I'm just used to much faster cars. Previous Lotus was 0-60 in 3.7s and 0-100 in 8.5s - now that is proper straight line performance. http://www.essexautosport.com/content/upgrades/upg_tokachi.html

Having said that, I still love the car, that's why I've still got it 3.5 years later after planning to run it for a couple of months! :B_blite:

yours must be a dud then lol tbh its the fastest car ive owned so far!! and most of my mates are alot younger then me so their only used to golf gti's and the like ;)

JezF
Monday 31st October 2011, 13:07
I've been camping in Dorset this weekend!

Very much doubt it's a dud, it's just all relative. I had a modified Saab 9000 Aero and that always felt quicker as it delivered a slug of torque low down - 310lb at 2,000 rpm. The Volvo is more linear but feels slower as a result.

Any n/a hot hatch is always going to feel very slow compared to a HPT mind you.

JezF
Monday 31st October 2011, 13:10
I'll let you know what it is like on 350+bhp T5!

Cool - you'll be on or close to the limit with the standard LPG injectors mind!

M-R-P
Monday 31st October 2011, 13:12
Whereabouts in sunny(ahem) Dorset did you go?

JezF
Monday 31st October 2011, 14:03
Whereabouts in sunny(ahem) Dorset did you go?

Went to Toms Field in Lancton Matravers.

For reasons unbeknown to me, we didn't go to the Square and Compass (actually I do know - ten pints and no food is a bad thing!), but had a great walk (14 miles) from Corfe to Kingston accross the ranges and then went to the Tank Museum yesterday as the weather was rubbish.

The tank museum has improved massively in recent years - well worth a visit.

M-R-P
Monday 31st October 2011, 15:06
Yeah, my company built the new buildings at the museum. Looks like you picked a nice area to wander about in. Corfe to Kingston is good for the MTB enthusiasts too.

JezF
Monday 31st October 2011, 17:37
Ah! Very impressive the new building.

We go to Swanage quite often (Lakes when we have more time) but have never taken my bike as I couldn't see that many trails and tend to go to Wales for riding away. Stunning part of the country The Purbecks though.

Volvostorm
Monday 31st October 2011, 19:15
Cool - you'll be on or close to the limit with the standard LPG injectors mind!

Already looking in to getting bigger ones :)

JezF
Monday 31st October 2011, 19:57
Ah! I'd heard stories about bigger injectors, good news for those into modifying who don't want to get ripped off at the pumps.