PDA

View Full Version : flywheel weight

p fandango
Monday 24th October 2011, 18:10
i've got a flywheel i'm just about to get lightened. Standard weight is 8.5kg, but what weight do i get it took down to? Does anyone know the normal weight of the TTV flywheels

Alan M
Monday 24th October 2011, 18:15
If its machined proportionally quite a bit of material can be removed. You still want some weight there so going to far would be unwanted. I would take 1.5kg to max of 2kg depending on the weight of the car.

p fandango
Monday 24th October 2011, 18:17
If its machined proportionally quite a bit of material can be removed. You still want some weight there so going to far would be unwanted. I would take 1.5kg to max of 2kg depending on the weight of the car.
its for BT, so not much car weight to go with it lol

M-R-P
Monday 24th October 2011, 19:45
its for BT, so not much car weight to go with it lol

Probably gonna end up looking like this....
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/flywheel.jpg

p fandango
Monday 24th October 2011, 19:58
Probably gonna end up looking like this....
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/flywheel.jpg
still got a bit more metal i can shave down on that tbh Martin lol

jardon
Monday 24th October 2011, 20:05
http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-s60_s80_xc70_v70-transmission/

That's what I use. Pros - revs properly and much quicker through the gears. The stock dmf is slow to lose momentum. Cons - gearbox chatter due to reduced damping of vibes (not audible in car).

Overall suits me and significantly cheaper than a dmf to boot. I suspect the cerametallic clutch will last longer than the flywheel but time will tell. With your motor it will make less difference as the stock smf is lighter than my dmf. If it's a race only application then I would go as light as is safely possible - take advice from somebody who has experience of light flywheels and quarter mile competition.

Volvostorm
Monday 24th October 2011, 20:23
I've had about 1.5kgs taken off my flywheel too.

p fandango
Monday 24th October 2011, 20:25
http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-s60_s80_xc70_v70-transmission/

That's what I use. Pros - revs properly and much quicker through the gears. The stock dmf is slow to lose momentum. Cons - gearbox chatter due to reduced damping of vibes (not audible in car).

Overall suits me and significantly cheaper than a dmf to boot. I suspect the cerametallic clutch will last longer than the flywheel but time will tell. With your motor it will make less difference as the stock smf is lighter than my dmf. If it's a race only application then I would go as light as is safely possible - take advice from somebody who has experience of light flywheels and quarter mile competition.
thats 1.75kg lighter than standard SMF, its not full race only i'm going for but quite happy to compromise the on-road drive for a decent improvement. The engineering shop i'm going to make engines for a few rally teams so see what they recommend

p fandango
Monday 24th October 2011, 20:26
I've had about 1.5kgs taken off my flywheel too.
i'm thinking of going for 2kg off, just to make it a nice round number lol.

jardon
Monday 24th October 2011, 21:55
thats 1.75kg lighter than standard SMF, its not full race only i'm going for but quite happy to compromise the on-road drive for a decent improvement. The engineering shop i'm going to make engines for a few rally teams so see what they recommend

Sounds like a plan. Just seen your 2kg off post - that would be comparable with mine and should be perfectly driveable on road. As you are no doubt aware shaving off rotational mass has a significantly greater effect on acceleration than losing the same weight from the body, etc - more noticeable in lower gears.

Engineer
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 16:23
The billet steel flywheels from Kalmar Union for non duel mass flywheel clutches as on 850's only weigh 5.3 kg, I doubt you will get a cast iron/cast steel flywheel down to this and be able to guarantee it won't explode at high rpm, but don't let that stop you who knows you might be ok :duck:

Here's a pic of my billet one fitted.

Its also worth remembering that billet steel is harder than cast iron and cast steel so should see the clutch disc finish second as regards wear etc.

jardon
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 16:55
Its also worth remembering that billet steel is harder than cast iron and cast steel so should see the clutch disc finish second as regards wear etc.

Didn't know that. For some reason I thought steel was softer and that my nasty clutch would eat it.

Niles
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 17:15
I've been told by a race engineer DO NOT SHAVE DOWN A CAST IRON FLYWHEEL!! He was very firm on his comments and stuck to it. He said cast iron will not like a shave and very VERY likekly to go pop at high rev's.
Is that just him or has anyone an idea that it WILL be safe to remove 1.75kg's off a standard SMF?

p fandango
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 17:32
The billet steel flywheels from Kalmar Union for non duel mass flywheel clutches as on 850's only weigh 5.3 kg, I doubt you will get a cast iron/cast steel flywheel down to this and be able to guarantee it won't explode at high rpm, but don't let that stop you who knows you might be ok :duck:
i've just been looking on the TTV (http://www.ttvracing.com/Volvoflywheel.html) website, 3.5kg here we come lol. When i dropped mine in he explained there was only so much he can take off, got to keep it a certain thickness to stop the risk of explosion

p fandango
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 17:34
I've been told by a race engineer DO NOT SHAVE DOWN A CAST IRON FLYWHEEL!! He was very firm on his comments and stuck to it. He said cast iron will not like a shave and very VERY likekly to go pop at high rev's.
Is that just him or has anyone an idea that it WILL be safe to remove 1.75kg's off a standard SMF?
the machine shop who's doing the work make complete rally engines from scratch so sure they know what there doing, isn't the face machined flat during manufacture

they also offered to make a complete new flywheel from a lighter material, daren't ask how much they want for that lol

t5_monkey
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 17:35
There's some alarming videos of flywheels exploding on you-tube.

With that much spinning metal, I'd be tempted to buy a new lightweight one.

p fandango
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 17:43

some painful one's as well if the bits went off in the wrong direction, the bulkhead would be like tissue paper compared to shrapnel from that lol. They know what there doing ;)

jardon
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 17:45

+1 shaving that cast iron one does sound a bit iffy

endo-t5
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:11
I know someone who had a mini flywheel shear and come through the bulkhead during racing hence he then added a 6 mm steel plate to bulkhead to save his life but not as bad as cosworth 4x4 as they can break front prop if driven hard from cold guy broke both his legs when it snapped as he had 400 bhp doing high speed runs at brunters.
don't forget may spin up faster but you'll lose some torque with the lighter flywheel

p fandango
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:14
don't forget may spin up faster but you'll lose some torque with the lighter flywheel
with the car being lighter losing a bit of torque won't be a problem, my god i might as well buy a Honda lol

endo-t5
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:15
Noooooo not a honda now there's a car with no torque.

p fandango
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:20
Noooooo not a honda now there's a car with no torque.
could you imagine a Honda with a lightened flywheel lmao

Engineer
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:30
:hilariousguess I nicked a tad more weight loss on mine then mate.........but tripping back to Jardons other comment about vehicle weight loss due to loosing MOI on the transmission drive train, mine works out depending on the wheel tyre radius of a total vehicle weight loss in first gear using a standard T5 box of between 40 and 48 kg not bad from just a flywheel change in second gear its a lot lower 15 to 20 kg.

But there is more to the drive train than just the flywheel plus any weight saved here is still taken away from the total vehicle weight...........nothing really new here then :slap:

p fandango
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:33
:hilariousguess I nicked a tad more weight loss on mine then mate.........but tripping back to Jardons other comment about vehicle weight loss due to loosing MOI on the transmission drive train, mine works out depending on the wheel tyre radius of a total vehicle weight loss in first gear using a standard T5 box of between 40 and 48 kg not bad from just a flywheel change in second gear its a lot lower 15 to 20 kg.

But there is more to the drive train than just the flywheel plus any weight saved here is still taken away from the total vehicle weight...........nothing really new here then :slap:
you really are forcing me into getting the 3.5kg flywheel ;) lol

jardon
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 18:50

I could have misunderstood but less unwanted mass to accelerate will give more torque not less - that's why it spins up faster.

Engineer
Tuesday 25th October 2011, 19:07
I could have misunderstood but less unwanted mass to accelerate will give more torque not less - that's why it spins up faster.

:wizardtro flywheels store inertia which may help your granny not stall her Fiesta going to Tesco's but won't help you to obtain max power period.

3.6 kg option wasn't around 2 years ago Ped.......................just make sure you don't disapear like the Wizard when you do get out on track.... ;)

p fandango
Thursday 27th October 2011, 12:44
3.6 kg option wasn't around 2 years ago Ped.......................just make sure you don't disapear like the Wizard when you do get out on track.... ;)
just spoke to TTV & the 3.6kg flywheel has to have a racing clutch which i don't fancy, so had to go for the 5.4kg the same as you :(