PDA

View Full Version : Oil consumption

Tomcat
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 10:31
The car is consuming large quantities of oil recently, what's likely to be the cause?, will it be the rings or the valve stem seals?.. If it's just the seals then what's the cost of a headset (gaskettes stem seals etc)..

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 10:42
Mine was down to bore wear :(

I paid £40 for a head gasket from volvo, I can't remember the price of the other parts.

Tomcat
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 10:44
I know in the past when I've bought stuff for erm...ahem...Ford, you could buy a complete head set, do Volvo sell one?

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 10:57
I'm pretty sure you can buy a kit of them complete, but I just got mine in bits.

Alan M
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 11:18
Rufe will be the best on price even compared to most aftermarket pattern suppliers. Full sets of hydraulic lifters (cam followers) are actually cheaper in a set from Rufe than GSF. You even get genuine parts then aswell.

Best way to check before spending any money is do a leak down test or get someone that can do one properly for you. Its not quite a compression test as you are checking more than just compression. Done in conjunction with a compression test you should be able to identify any potential problems.

JezF
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 13:15
I have oil use at around 1litre every 1,000 miles. Unchanged in the last 60,000 miles and some is definately coming out of the rear main oil seal.

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 13:26
I thought a litre per thousand was exceptionable according to volvo? Might be wrong of course!

My worse oil consumption was 5.5litres in 6miles, I had a split oil filter! :D

Tomcat
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 14:36
I know mines burning it in large quantities now, pulled away at the lights a couple of days ago and left a large cloud of smoke behind me. It's now just on the bare minimum, think it's used a full engines worth in er....about 3 months....ish. I know about Rufe (should do I've been here long enough,lol), I was just curious wether they did them or not, even if I could afford the parts (which I cant) I dont have time to do it at the moment anyway.

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 15:01
Just keep topping it up, until you can mate :)

Tomcat
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 16:10
Just keep topping it up, until you can mate :)

Yeah Paul, that's about my only choice at the moment anyway.

Tomcat
Monday 24th October 2011, 09:28
Just had to buy a litre of oil before getting on the motorway for work, f@ck me... Nearly 17 quid!!! I'd have felt better if the guy on the till was wearing a mask and pointing a gun at me.

The Flying Moose
Monday 24th October 2011, 18:31
TC all three 850's I have had have used around 0.5-1l of oil per month or 1,000 miles. I really wouldnt be too concerned unless its displaying the associated symptoms of head, bore or stem seal failure.

Ultimately there is a small issue but the way I look at it is you are constantly "changing" the oil ;)

JT's Mechanic
Monday 24th October 2011, 18:37
Just had to buy a litre of oil before getting on the motorway for work, f@ck me... Nearly 17 quid!!! I'd have felt better if the guy on the till was wearing a mask and pointing a gun at me.

£17 for 1L of oil! ****ing hell

Mines still leaking oil but as TFM said "the way I look at it is you are constantly "changing" the oil "

nottsgreent5
Monday 24th October 2011, 19:32
mines the same about a lire a month but i thought with mine it was down to a worn turbo oil seal just changed the turbo so will see lol

Volvostorm
Monday 24th October 2011, 19:43

You sure it wasn't bull sperm!!! :o

GreenMachine
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 22:50
my 850 was using quite a bit - I changed to morris's and oil consumption dropped overnight, used to use some expensive well known brands before

merc85
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 22:59
Changed oil Brands Recently, wasy doing 1ltr every 1,500 miles, Now using 500mm, every 3,000 miles which is excelent, I change my oil and oil filter every 3,000 anyway.

mick850R
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 23:38
Ditto mine gets near enough a litre every month give or take, but not bothering me really. When I get to a engines worth a month then I'll look into it but most engines use a little oil.