PDA

View Full Version : hlm map running lean

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:11
Hi there,

Purchased an ecu off a member on here, im running a 16t turbo with 3inch downpipe and 2.5inch the rest of the way, white injectors, drove the car with a new set of plugs for about 20 miles and came back and inspected the plugs and the tips are very white, so im running lean, i dont have a wideband controller so dont know at what boost or rpm im running lean, so will a walbro fuel pump help or am i better off going for a rica map?
Thanks alot for the help

bigrotch
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:20
my mate has got a walbra whites hlm but a 15t and his is spot on delivery of fuel pos little over fueling as it pops on de excelrating but thats a good thing compared to running lean so walbra id go for and they are a good price

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:23
exactly, least if its running rich you know the engine wont go pop!! i have put the standard ecu back in for now so ill get the walbro ordered, think its the mitsi evo one i need isnt it?

bigrotch
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:28
think so mate not 100% im shore if you search on here there is a link to which one my mates forum name is mearc85 that mite help the search

bigrotch
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:31
http://shop.motorsport-developments.co.uk/lancer-evo-2-3-5-6-7-8-9-uprated-walbro-fuel-pump-257-p.asp

here ya go mate

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:34
what plugs are u running?

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:55
im running bosch or denso i think, would i be better going for standard volvo plugs?

t5 pete
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 09:21
Unless there is a problem with your original pump the walbro one will make no difference

T5frankie
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 10:51
agree with pete t5's dont need walbros

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 14:54
Really? Hmm I might look for a different ecu in that case
Thanks lads

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 15:05
Might be worth having the injector ultrasonic cleaned, and, when did it last have a fuel filter changed?

claymore
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 15:33
Really? Hmm I might look for a different ecu in that case
Thanks lads
i doubt that it's a problem with the ecu, I would guess that you have a problem with the car

LiamT4
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 15:46
i doubt that it's a problem with the ecu, I would guess that you have a problem with the car

I agree. More likely a plug/lead/sensor type issue.

Al115
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 16:03
Get a wideband on it and see what is going on. Check fuel pressure at the rail to rule out the fuel pump.

smithy
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 17:22
it wont be the ecu mate because they are designed to run on oranges so white should fuel no probs.check pump/ fuel pressure/and get the injectors cleans sounds like there blocked.i run a standard pump in my 940 with 470cc injectors and i was overfueling mate but sorted that now.

claymore
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 17:35
From experience I can also tell you that the ecu will take a few miles to 'learn' your engines setup

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 19:41
the ecu i have is mapped for a bigger turbo and bigger injectors, ill have to get a wideband controller to see what exactly is ever going on.
thanks for the help lads

jardon
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 19:50
Get a wideband on it and see what is going on. Check fuel pressure at the rail to rule out the fuel pump.

+1

Don't go replacing parts without further diagnostic assessment.

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 20:29
is there anyway of doing up a wideband for cheaper than the prices of the aem and innovative ones?
Thanks

LiamT4
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 20:31
is there anyway of doing up a wideband for cheaper than the prices of the aem and innovative ones?
Thanks

Could take it to a place with a dyno and AFR equipment.

mark_eire
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 21:08
yeah, would a boost/air leak cause it to run lean? because now that i think of it while on boost i can hear a kind of whine/whistle?
Thanks

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 21:12
Yeah, its probably one of the main causes of running lean, unmetered air.

jardon
Monday 24th October 2011, 22:02
yeah, would a boost/air leak cause it to run lean? because now that i think of it while on boost i can hear a kind of whine/whistle?
Thanks

A boost leak will cause it to lose metered air and run rich.

Air leaks before between the MAF and turbo would cause a lean condition so check that the MAF to turbo pipe is attached to the turbo properly.

A whistle on boost is (probably) normal. My old 16t and 19t whistle to some extent on boost - particularly noticeable if the car is otherwise quiet (mine isn't anymore).

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 16:39
im running bosch or denso i think, would i be better going for standard volvo plugs?
NGK BKR7EVX is the plug of choice or IRIDIUM 8s (also NGK)

jardon
Wednesday 26th October 2011, 23:08
Standard plugs are good for 450+ bhp. I wouldn't recommend 'uprated' plugs in your application.