PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 GLT 10 valve engine transplant??

turbo299
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 14:58
Hi all,

Just wondered what the possibilities are to perform a T5 or T5-R engine/box transplant into a 10 valve shell.

Could anyone tell me the complications to be expected... I realise the obvious stuff like ecu, wiring loom etc but does the loom split anywhere are the factory where one could be plugged to the other or is it a dash out, loom out kind of job?? It it easier, if compatible to just swap the subframe/engine/gearbox in one unit?

Its one of those cars, easier and cheaper to buy the genuine article but I don't want to get rid of what was essentially my dads last car before he died. He was a bit of a petrolhead in the earlier years and it would be a fitting tribute to make my kids "grandads" car go like a train.

I do hope the answer is yes it can be done... he bought it years ago with the T5 wheels, boot spoiler and skirts already on (were these an option on the GLT as I can't imagine the guy he bought it off adding these). It was whilst the police still used them unmarked and his being white made his journey to and from work quicker than usual as cars would move over thinking he was the plod!!

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Carl
Hedon, East Yorkshire.

Tomcat
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 16:30
At the end of the day it's possible, just depends how keen you are and how much mechanical knowledge you have. Certainly the complete subframe should bolt up, as far as the wiring loom, fraid I have no idea as I've not had chance to look at a 10v engine bay.

Volvostorm
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 16:41
They run a different ignition system to the T5, Siemens Fenix 5.2 instead of our Bosch Motronic 4.3

smithy
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 22:58
you can make the 10v go alot better than it does standard ,i did it to my bros one he drives now.fliter racecat and exhaust with a maf clean will unleash a more powerful machine.

T5frankie
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 23:03
just put some nitrous on it job done

smithy
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 23:22
just put some nitrous on it job done

i agree as well as the others i mentioned

turbo299
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 23:26
They run a different ignition system to the T5, Siemens Fenix 5.2 instead of our Bosch Motronic 4.3

Sounds to me like its a full loo/ecu etc etc out jobby then... hmmm need a damaged T5 or R with a rear ender then! Should be easy to find (I don't think).

Appreciate the comments about tuning the existing but was thinking turbo power was the way to go... I have seen the videos :smirk:

Nitrous.. now there's an idea lol

Thanks again for all your comments
Will keep you posted on what eventually transpires.

Regards
Carl
Hedon
East Yorkshire

Volvostorm
Sunday 23rd October 2011, 00:28
Sounds to me like its a full loo/ecu etc etc out jobby then... hmmm need a damaged T5 or R with a rear ender then! Should be easy to find (I don't think).

T5's can be picked up quite cheap, just keep an on e bay etc