PDA

View Full Version : Big Oil leak

alex1985blue
Friday 21st October 2011, 00:34
Hedy Chaps,

I seem to be having a problem with the red barge at the moment.

There seems to be a large leak coming from the engine, but I am not sure where it is from. It is pretty bad as it is going through 1L of oil a week to keep it topped up as I have to use the car every day as it is my only car.

Is anyone able to help me try and discover where the leak is?

I have heard it could be one of these, but ultimately I am not sure exactly where I am supposed to be looking:

Front Cam seals
Oil cooler lines
Turbo return line o-ring
Rear Cam seals
Rear main seal.

Beer tokens will apply for anyone that can help.

Located in Surrey but can travel.

Cheers

Alex

greenone
Friday 21st October 2011, 09:02
Hi,

The usual suspects and cheapest to sort are.....

Turbo return seals. . . . To check, with car raised (safely obviously), engine running, get under the car, look up the back of the engine (between bulkhead and engine). You'll see the oil dripping.

Oil filler cap sealing ring. . . . Take the spark plug cover off, if its full of oil under there chances are it's the sealing ring.

PCV System . . . . Without getting too technical this is the thingy that helps the pressure in the crankcase stay low. It can get blocked over time and cause the pressure in the crankcase to rise, pushing oil out of everywhere. It can cause the rear main crankcase seal to fail. To change the PCV is inexpensive but a bit fiddly. There's various things to test whether it's blocked, lots on this forum, do a search.

Oil can come out of loads of different places. Unless its obviously pissing out of a split pipe or buggered seal I'd check the above first.

John

Tomcat
Friday 21st October 2011, 12:21
If its the Rms you'll have oil dripping out between the engine and gearbox

p fandango
Friday 21st October 2011, 12:48
If its the Rms you'll have oil dripping out between the engine and gearbox
normally end up with a slipping clutch as well

Tomcat
Friday 21st October 2011, 12:54
True....good point.

alex1985blue
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 13:10
Brilliant. Cheers Guys I will have a look and get back to you. Just hope its not the rms.

Niles
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 20:48
dip stick oil seal

alex1985blue
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 22:23
dip stick oil seal

Il have a look out for that as well.

Cheers

alex1985blue
Thursday 27th October 2011, 19:51
Ok Chaps I have had a good look over the car and I have discovered the following

Looking at the back of the engine between the block and the bulkhead thers a pipe going from the bottom of the turbo into the block.

The pipe is an L shape.

Can anyone tell me if that is the feed or return oil pipe?

All other suggestions I cant find any oil leaking, but I have found that I have a smoking dip stick holder. I have read up that my PCV could be blocked?

Cheers

Alex

Jamest5r
Thursday 27th October 2011, 19:57
Oil rtn pipe from the turbo mate and goes into the block worth changing the seals as its only a couple of quid and 1/2 hour job if its the 1st time on your driveway.

PCV, yes worth doing if your dip stick is smoking, again can be done on the drive with a socket set.

Volvostorm
Thursday 27th October 2011, 19:58
It is the return pipe, has 1 gasket, and 1 O ring, both are pennies from a dealer.

alex1985blue
Thursday 27th October 2011, 22:38
Brilliant. Cheers chaps. Do you just unbolt the pipe from the turbo and then pull the pope out from the block or is the pipe at the block end bolted in as well as I cant see any bolts holding it in?

x

Volvostorm
Thursday 27th October 2011, 22:39
Thats it mate :)

alex1985blue
Thursday 27th October 2011, 22:41
Thats it mate :)

Bolted in or pull out? :)

Volvostorm
Thursday 27th October 2011, 22:45
Sorry, bolt on turbo end, pulls out the block the other ;)

alex1985blue
Thursday 27th October 2011, 22:48
Brilliant. Cheers chap. Heres to hoping that that is the only one leaking.

RPM
Saturday 21st January 2012, 12:58
Did you fix it?

alex1985blue
Monday 6th February 2012, 09:11
Yeah I got it fixed. Just required a new gasket for the oil return pipe and its been fine since.

Done 6000 miles since and not one drop of oil.

Cheers for the help guys.

Alex