PDA

View Full Version : How to change 850 front wing?

850 2.5 10v
Monday 17th October 2011, 12:17
I didn't attend to a small rusty patch (the only one on the car!) its now awful.

I have a colour matched wing on its way to me.

Could someone please link / explain how to change it.

Could I risk setting the airbag off?

Thanks in advance everyone.

nottsgreent5
Monday 17th October 2011, 12:51
hi mate no risk of air bag going off lol dead easy few fiddly bits tho undo all the bolts on the top an door edge then look up under the bumper and from memory there 2 more that atatch wing to the bumper usally very rusty them 1s and on some later cars theres a bolt near the washer filler neck in the engine bay oh and indicator got to come out because theres 2 ackward 10mm bolts behind it think thats it lol

claymore
Monday 17th October 2011, 13:03
hi mate no risk of air bag going off lol dead easy few fiddly bits tho undo all the bolts on the top an door edge then look up under the bumper and from memory there 2 more that atatch wing to the bumper usally very rusty them 1s and on some later cars theres a bolt near the washer filler neck in the engine bay oh and indicator got to come out because theres 2 ackward 10mm bolts behind it think thats it lol
That just about coveres it.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 17th October 2011, 13:16
Right so first up do I need to remove the wheel?

Plan would be to remove the arch liner (buying new replacement plastic retainers)

Then remove the wing.

Hopefully I won't need to remove the bumper!

And then reverse the process.

Do I need any special tools - I don't have any angle ratchets - is that an issue?

claymore
Monday 17th October 2011, 13:20
Right so first up do I need to remove the wheel?

Plan would be to remove the arch liner (buying new replacement plastic retainers)

Then remove the wing.

Hopefully I won't need to remove the bumper!

And then reverse the process.

Do I need any special tools - I don't have any angle ratchets - is that an issue?#

Thats all you have to do, expect the bolts in front of the wheel arch (by where the wing is rusty) to be a bit of a nightmare I just got the angle grinder out and cut a square out of the wing.

850 2.5 10v
Monday 17th October 2011, 13:23
Must I remove the wheel?

nottsgreent5
Monday 17th October 2011, 14:38
i did mine without taking it off the 2 bolts behind the indicator more so the lower one behind the bumper can be a pain to get out n back in i used a ratchet spanner still took a while tho

850 2.5 10v
Tuesday 18th October 2011, 09:18
i did mine without taking it off the 2 bolts behind the indicator more so the lower one behind the bumper can be a pain to get out n back in i used a ratchet spanner still took a while tho

Just so I am following this right you didn't take the wheel off and managed the job just fine?

I have a gravel driveway you see and I wouldn't want to be jacking car up on gravel (even if I had a board underneath...)

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 18th October 2011, 19:52
might make it easier if you jack it a little but i 100% didnt take the wheel off lol

850 2.5 10v
Thursday 20th October 2011, 16:54
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=rivet

Which rivets should I go for?

Do I need a special tool for the metal ones?

Or do I go for the plastic push ones?