PDA

View Full Version : Clayed and polished

AndysR
Sunday 16th October 2011, 19:15
Had quite a productive day, aside from a couple of minor house duties, I was able to crack on quite early with the claying and polishing of the car. Since I bought the car I have only clayed it once and that was just before it was detailed with a PC polisher back in early 2008. Since then the car has always been hand washed and polished regularly but never clayed. Recently I have felt that the bodywork wasn't polishing up as well as it had done previously and contamination on the paint could be felt even when polished so I decided it was time to clay the paintwork again and get that smooth glass finish that always gives a great base for polishing, waxing and sealing.
After I had finished the bodywork I also decided it was best to get any ingrained brake dust off the wheels with the portion of clay I had used on the body this certainly seemed like a good idea at the time but I was cursing after I started because it took the best part of 2hrs to do. It did however leave the wheels nice and smooth without the slightly abrasive feel that had developed since they were refurbished in 2007 so worth while in the end I guess and should make cleaning easier from now on.

So with that all done I had time to do a quick vac of the interior then I shot out down the road to take a couple of pics. I am quite happy with how it has come up and together with the freshly painted bumpers I think the car is looking better than it has ever done since I've owned it. I am actually beginning to become happy with how it looks now especially as it was all done by hand and there appears to be no swirling/minor scratches in the paint finish even after 4 years, although I am sure I'll find something to pick holes in as that's just the way I am with my car... :grumpy:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/VPC5.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/VPC6.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/VPC4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/VPC1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/VPC3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/VPC2.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/Andyrs/Freshly%20polished/100_3249.jpg

Tomcat
Sunday 16th October 2011, 19:20
Mmmm very nice Andy, I long for the day when mine looks that good (it'll get there......eventualy)..

M-R-P
Sunday 16th October 2011, 19:41
Looks like some display only model from a motor museum! lovely job mate.

merc85
Sunday 16th October 2011, 19:51

This car is even better in the Flesh!

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 16th October 2011, 19:57
Claying is really the only way to remove the bonded contaminents but it removes any protection. I would recommend that after claying you use a sealant. That way tar & other traffic nasties dont reattach themselves. Claying can also leave residues. I would recommend poorboys black hole glaze as this has a good cleaning action & really brings out the colour on dark cars. Finally a 1 step sealant polish - such as chemical guys wet mirror finish will leave your arms intact. you can top this later with a decent wax to help provide a hydrophobic (water repelent) layer (on a different day).

if you want a trip to Telford I can provide all these layers & more help if you'd like.

M-R-P
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:15
I work next to the Ryvita factory, it makes europe's ryvita and most of the jordans cereals and grenola bars. The ££££ that gets vented into the atmosphere from their cyclonic extraction systems can be like breathing talc and makes the car look like it's covered with beige overspray and only a claybar can shift it. A couple of weeks ago I clayed, mopped, sealed then waxed the sweed. Looked a bit shinier :)

martybelfastt5
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:15
quality andy,

T5frankie
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:16
not bad for an 850 mate lol

Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:20
Stunning stunning car Andy enjoy it

LiamT4
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:34
If i had that car mate, i'd never sell it.

Looks very nice.

pookie
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:47
Superb Job!! You've every right to be feeling damn smug with yourself.

Salut!

Pookie

t5_monkey
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:47
Looks awesome!

Is it wierd that your Volvo pics excite me nearly as much as the Polish Uni student I banged monkey style this afternoon ? :)

volvokid
Sunday 16th October 2011, 23:12
You know how much i like you car, it looks great.

Claybar tip for you, to check if you have clayed it enough, put your hand in a polly pocket and feel the paint. You will feel everything through that, i clayed the R fairly fast the other week and i have missed loads of bits

volvokid
Sunday 16th October 2011, 23:18
Looks awesome!

Is it wierd that your Volvo pics excite me nearly as much as the Polish Uni student I banged monkey style this afternoon ? :)

Good on you monkey for getting your polish hole today now go bang your Swedish volvo...... or is that to classy????

t5_monkey
Sunday 16th October 2011, 23:57
Banging your Pole is never as good as thrashing your Swede :)

AndysR
Monday 17th October 2011, 00:07
Mmmm very nice Andy, I long for the day when mine looks that good (it'll get there......eventualy)..

Thanks TC, I'm sure it will, I look forward to the day I see the car in the flesh as I'd like to get a couple of shots of the grey cars together :)

Thanks Martin, it does get used... honest!

This car is even better in the Flesh!

Thanks Gav, must confess the shots of yours in the other thread really don't do it justice and that's based on a pre clay clean! ;)

Claying is really the only way to remove the bonded contaminents but it removes any protection. I would recommend that after claying you use a sealant. That way tar & other traffic nasties dont reattach themselves. Claying can also leave residues. I would recommend poorboys black hole glaze as this has a good cleaning action & really brings out the colour on dark cars. Finally a 1 step sealant polish - such as chemical guys wet mirror finish will leave your arms intact. you can top this later with a decent wax to help provide a hydrophobic (water repelent) layer (on a different day).

if you want a trip to Telford I can provide all these layers & more help if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer Dave, I still have a few bits to do. I've got Poor Boys EX-P sealant to apply and also Poor Boy's Nattys Paste Wax (blue). I've used both of these previously and achieved great results with them so will be doing it again before the harshness of winter sets in.

quality andy,

Cheers, bit overdue a few shots of yours again I'd say...

Stunning stunning car Andy enjoy it

Thanks I do try too...

If i had that car mate, i'd never sell it.

Looks very nice.

Thanks Liam...

Superb Job!! You've every right to be feeling damn smug with yourself.

Salut!

Pookie

Lol, thanks for your kind comments.

Looks awesome!

Nearly as much? She can't have been that great in bed then... :0

You know how much i like you car, it looks great.

Claybar tip for you, to check if you have clayed it enough, put your hand in a polly pocket and feel the paint. You will feel everything through that, i clayed the R fairly fast the other week and i have missed loads of bits

Thanks VK, I was quite surprised at how clean the clay bar looked considering how much of a difference to the surface feel it made... Will give the polly pocket a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Banging your Pole is never as good as thrashing your Swede :)

Indeed but thrashing the Swede makes it dirty... :(

volvokid
Monday 17th October 2011, 00:14
Clay bar is good though, that along with tardis and its a great combo, i use to really rate iron x because you could see it working but you need to use lots to get a result. Try the technique after your next wash if you can.

AndysR
Monday 17th October 2011, 19:33
Clay bar is good though, that along with tardis and its a great combo, i use to really rate iron x because you could see it working but you need to use lots to get a result. Try the technique after your next wash if you can.

Indeed I will :)

martybelfastt5
Monday 17th October 2011, 21:31
ahh, no shots of mine til the painting is done and she is lower then the camera comes out lol..

AndysR
Monday 17th October 2011, 22:34
ahh, no shots of mine til the painting is done and she is lower then the camera comes out lol..

Lol, look forward to it, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 17th October 2011, 22:49
Pop round & we can compare lotions, potions & tool sheds ;)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 01:10
Its a bit late I know Andy but just thought I would pop by and say... "Looking mighty fine there matey" ;)

Liddo
Thursday 20th October 2011, 08:26
Andy, have your front seats ever been sat in?? :D

I love people who love their cars :)

volvokid
Thursday 20th October 2011, 09:43

I know they look brand new.

AndysR
Thursday 20th October 2011, 22:02

Sure have she's done 107k now just shows, to those that think it can't be done, you can enjoy a car and prevent it from looking like a dog if you respect it and keep on top of things when they require attention. Interior wasn't always this clean ;)