PDA

View Full Version : s70r engine tapping noise

waynes40t4
Sunday 16th October 2011, 18:02
was driving last night in cold weather was boostin about 1.3 bar when all of a sudden there became a horrible tapping noise from the engine like a hydraulic lifter has collapsed its in time with the engine ie gets faster with the engine and does not get any worse under load and off load performance is the same and starts runs and idles fine could this be lifters gummed up as im unsure when it was last service as ive only had it a few months help please

deathrider311271
Sunday 16th October 2011, 18:13
was driving last night in cold weather was boostin about 1.3 bar when all of a sudden there became a horrible tapping noise from the engine like a hydraulic lifter has collapsed its in time with the engine ie gets faster with the engine and does not get any worse under load and off load performance is the same and starts runs and idles fine could this be lifters gummed up as im unsure when it was last service as ive only had it a few months help please

check your oil level, if its low top it up. If the oil level is fine then do a couple of quick oil changes

siamblue
Sunday 16th October 2011, 18:16
HI Wayne, i hope it isn't but it could be a rod, i know some other forum member who did a rod in cold weather, he boosted to 24psi,

Gary.

danny-R
Sunday 16th October 2011, 18:59
Is the noise coming from top or bottom end?
I had a similar noise appear after kicking it's head in and spun 2 big end bearings.
Ended up having to find 3blocks as the first two were scrap and i've still not had it running properly since.

T5frankie
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:18
oh dear and that had such a sweet engine that motor, sounds the same as mine did i've just had the engine replaced.

waynes40t4
Sunday 16th October 2011, 20:36
well it has plenty if oil in there and noise sound like its coming from the top im going to get some good engine flush from work in the morning andput some decent oil in there and hope that cures it if not im going to send her to be made into a cube

smithson007
Sunday 16th October 2011, 23:31
Ive got a dodgy tapping noise to from the bottom end. Been like that since i got it couple months ago. All seems to be fine. Got my MBC set at 1.4 bar and it most certinaly pulls ok. Wonder if its had some damage in the past.

waynes40t4
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 18:28
ok well i have put an engine flush in there and changed oil still tapping away from the top end how likely is this to be the bottom end it will be going up for sale as i cant be bothered with it and its still to good to scrap

T5frankie
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 19:51
ok well i have put an engine flush in there and changed oil still tapping away from the top end how likely is this to be the bottom end it will be going up for sale as i cant be bothered with it and its still to good to scrap

what do you want for it?

Alan M
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 20:23
Before going all out to scrap or sell it would be worth investing in getting a good mechanic or Volvo to check it over. Have you monitored oil pressure hot and cold? If not you can buy a cheap oil pressure electrical gauge and check oil pressure first as the sump orings between it and the block do deteriorate with age and can create the knocking you mention as oil pressure is not quite right.

T5frankie
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 21:03
sounds like a bent rod he has had the boost up too high which is exactly what happened to mine

waynes40t4
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 23:51
well i cant get my head round it and cant afford to pay for someone to tell me what it aint ive had many people look at it and all say its either bearings or hydraulic lifter both of which will be to expensive for my wallet whilst im job less i have another engine coming for it but dont have anywhere or tools to do it, i have the no-how but just lost heart in the poor girl i would be sad to see it go and would take a sensible offer knowing what its worth. unless someone volvo and engine minded near by could tell me what it is

dalhousie2008
Thursday 20th October 2011, 00:04
hi work out a price your after and post it up on here i have a very good low mileage engine sitting around doing nothing and a car trailer hmmmm i might just be tempted

waynes40t4
Thursday 20th October 2011, 09:23
it owes me 1500 but i know i wont get that for it i wont take no less than a grand as i might as well stick it in my garage and leave it in there to rest