PDA

View Full Version : 19T cracked

benG
Friday 14th October 2011, 14:20
Whipped my 19T off my engine last night and noticed it has some slight cracks around the wastegate flap. The Turbo has no play at all in the shaft so would be a shame to scrap it, anyone know who can change the exhaust side for me? and also how much a new exhaust side is?

nottsgreent5
Friday 14th October 2011, 16:05
if there anything like the 15 n 16s just undo the metal band on the middle of the turbo n tap it in the joint with a cheisel n it will split

Niles
Friday 14th October 2011, 16:52
got a spare angled turbo outlet side with NO cracks. Pm me if you want it.

Alan M
Friday 14th October 2011, 18:00
Brand new items can be bought direct from Japan for £99 and delivery IIRC.

merc85
Friday 14th October 2011, 18:47
Whipped my 19T off my engine last night and noticed it has some slight cracks around the wastegate flap. The Turbo has no play at all in the shaft so would be a shame to scrap it, anyone know who can change the exhaust side for me? and also how much a new exhaust side is?

No Surprise there!, Every exhaust housing i've seen has had cracks there, see some of my posts.

You can get the housing seperate off ebay, from japan £100 plus postage etc.

Or try and find a 2nd hand 1! But be warned they are like Gold dust.

shrekblackR
Friday 14th October 2011, 20:56
No Surprise there!, Every exhaust housing i've seen has had cracks there, see some of my posts.

You can get the housing seperate off ebay, from japan £100 plus postage etc.
Or try and find a 2nd hand 1! But be warned they are like Gold dust.

my spare aint cracked as you well know ,, lol

smithson007
Friday 14th October 2011, 21:00
Is there no way of repairing these cracks or would nothing stand up to the heat?

shrekblackR
Friday 14th October 2011, 21:10
Not really bud better off with new one mate

M-R-P
Friday 14th October 2011, 22:21
It has crossed my mind... could the cracks be prepped (we got some industrial 19000rpm pneumatic dremel thingys at work) then full-penn welded...? one of the guys is ££££ hot at stuff like that. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one and seeing what can be done.

smithson007
Friday 14th October 2011, 23:12
It has crossed my mind... could the cracks be prepped (we got some industrial 19000rpm pneumatic dremel thingys at work) then full-penn welded...? one of the guys is ££££ hot at stuff like that. I wouldn't mind getting hold of one and seeing what can be done.

Suppose it would depend on the extent of the cracks and the effort involved as to wether it was actually worth it.

AndysR
Friday 14th October 2011, 23:17

Turbo technics said that the housing around the wastegate contact point can be machined and a washer installed to allow the gate to seal again. Not sure how long that sort of repair would last but by the sound of things it is something that they have done on numerous previous occassions with good success.

M-R-P
Friday 14th October 2011, 23:47
Suppose it would depend on the extent of the cracks and the effort involved as to wether it was actually worth it.

True but I might see if I can get hold of one and see what can be done. Ya never know, I could end-up helping a few guys:)

smithson007
Friday 14th October 2011, 23:57
well worth a try mate.

merc85
Saturday 15th October 2011, 00:07
True but I might see if I can get hold of one and see what can be done. Ya never know, I could end-up helping a few guys:)

As a experiment, i done mind sending you a Cracked Housing if you think you may be able to get it repaired.

M-R-P
Saturday 15th October 2011, 00:13
I'd be happy to have a go, if you're prepared for it to fail! The guy at work is really good at welding and I'm pretty handy at the machining side of things. I suppose, your old housing is knackered anyway so you've nothing to lose.;)

M-R-P
Saturday 15th October 2011, 00:51
EDIT... by fail, I don't mean destroy itself, merely not stay fixed. If he can get the nozzle in ok, I don't see why it won't work tho.

Alan M
Saturday 15th October 2011, 15:27
They can be repaired but why do it when replacements can be had new for such a cheap price. I have repaired and altered two K24 items as they are much weaker in design and material content but the time it takes is not really worth it as a repair for someone else as the labour charge would be very high. KKK K24 items are very few and far between where as the Td04hl range is very easy to get hold of.