PDA

View Full Version : best oil

shrekblackR
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 20:15
hi guys whats the best engine oil for these beasts as im gunna do oil change at weekend as well as rad change ggrrrrrrr

AndysR
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 20:44
I guess it depends on how frequent the oil has been changed in the past and how good the engine is condition wise.

Volvo advised 10w40 when they were new but a number of owners, thanks to modern oil technology's, use thinner. I currently run 5w30 Silkoline engine oil in mine but either a 5w30/5w40 or 10w40 is fine.

That all said there are alot of opinions as to which oil is best, same with tyres, and the best piece of advice I can give is get the best oil that your budget allows.

shrekblackR
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 20:56
thankyou sir

nobananas
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 22:03
To be honest regular changes are more important than the label on the oil. Any half decent 10w40 to the correct spec will do and then change it every 6000k or so.

merc85
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 23:03
As the above is what is recomended, And that is what you should put in.

The recomended service interval is 6k, But that is with a standard Car 225bhp at 9psi? roughly (sure i will be corrected) also when the car was New.

My car Gets driven Hard, and Boost is very high. even after 2k you definatly notice the oil breaking down.

Just think about the Harsh temp's that these engines go through.

I Change my Oil and Filter every 3,000 miles, Excessive? i'd rather protect my car/engine the best i can, than leave it at the usual interval.

I know she aint a R and never be worth anything (future Value) classic but i always look after my vehicles the best i can.

nobananas
Thursday 13th October 2011, 08:06
As above, an engine will never be damaged by over regular oil changes, it all depends on how the motor gets used.