PDA

View Full Version : Help - mechanical wizard needed

izzysnan
Thursday 16th December 2004, 17:17
Hi
I'm trying to remove my ABS ECU to send to Dave850r, but someone has obviously tried before & screwed up one of the bolt heads. I tried a 4mm socket but it just spins - even tried a smaller one but to no avail. This unit on an 855 is underneath the brake thingy with pipes coming out of it, so its upside down and the bolt heads are recessed so I cant get mole grips to them - in fact there is so little room I'm wondering if I'll have to remove the whole brake thingy to get at it. I've even tried aralditing the 4mm socket to the bolt head - but that didn't work either. Anyone got any helpful ideas - except managing without ABS.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th December 2004, 18:41
Only advice I can give is to remove the airbox

They are male torx bolts and shouldn't be that hard to do

Silly question but you are undoing them??

Where are you - I am on route to Portsmouth from this weekend

Give me a bell - I can drop by on the way??

Number is 07801 347 993

izzysnan
Saturday 18th December 2004, 14:27
Hiya Dave
You really are a star, what I kind thought, but we are miles out of your way in Boston, Lincs. It's only one of the bolts that's had it's head ripped up, and I've had all the rest loose, so I'm gonna get a proper torx socket to see if that works, but failing that, I think I could cut away some of the plastic it goes through enough to get at it with mole grips etc - luckily it's the top lefthand side bolt so I can see where it goes through. I'll let you know when I've got it off (I hope) and posted it, so you know when to expect it but It will probably be after Xmas now.
Thanks again for the kind thought. Have fun in Portsmouth.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 20th December 2004, 00:44
right - if you can get to it we are in business. Don't worry about the head- if it has gone - then leave it. You will need to remove the airbox. once done - get a hacksaw. cut along the line - where you see that the box and lid meet. the bolt goes inside a solid metal tube, which runs the whole length of the corner. Once you have started , cut slowly and carefully on that corner until the head of the bolt come away. Remove the other 3 bolts in the conventional manner and the whole unit should slide away - leaving you enough to play around with to work out of the hole. I suggest making flat opposite sides with a file so you can get mole grips on and removing it that way. heat &/or penetrating oil should do it. Good luck :wink:

If you have any probs then leave it and I will come around after xmas and help you get it off (oo err missus :eek: )