PDA

View Full Version : Single Din Stereo to Double Din Stereo

alex1985blue
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 00:19
Hey Chaps,

I have a single din tape player in my 850 and I want to put a double din cd player.

Can anyone tell me are they just plug and play swap? Are the plugs the same or different? Same amount of plugs?

The one im looking at is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S40-V40-S70-V70-850-sc805-radio-stereo-cd-player-/110746823430?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c9066b06

Cheers,

Alex

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 00:27
You'll probably need an activation code to get the new one working. It may be best to check how many speakers you have so as not to upset the amplifier. The plug should be the same but if not you can get a converter jack
HTH

alex1985blue
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 00:36
Yeah I would make sure I get one with a code so that once ifitted it will work.

Is the amplifier you are talking about internal?

Cheers

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 00:43
Yeah, your single tape unit may only have 2 speaker outputs and your car may only have 2 speakers (and possibly 2 tweets connected to them) the new one may have connections for 2 front (plus tweets) and 2 rear. Newer volvo units have 5.1 - 2 front +tweet, 2 rear, center, subwoofer and even 2 tailgate. Think you'll be ok tho, If you have speakers in the rear doors, you'll be fine.

alex1985blue
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 01:14
Yeah I have speakers in the front doors, rear doors and in the tailgate as well.

So I guess 6 in total unless there are 2 more in the dash??

Cheers

M-R-P
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 08:39
What you'll find is there'll be tweets in the top of the front doors (there are in P2 V70's), or on top of the dash, right next to the pillars. Double check that there are speakers in the tailgate pillars as often it's just grilles without anything behind them. if there are speakers there, they will be split from the rear door speakers. The only proper speaker in the dash will be right in the middle of the dash (again, P2 - speaker or that crappy pop-up crapnav)
Bottom line - it should be plug-n-play, all you need is coding.
keep us posted on how you get on mate.

alex1985blue
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 17:18
Brilliant. Cheers buddy.

Yeah there are speakers in the boot, I fitted a set from a early v70.

Il keep you posted on the fitment of the new headunit.

Cheers