PDA

View Full Version : Poorly Engine??

ncarnall
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 16:43
Hi all,
Just got in from a day trip out in the volvo, all ran lovely except it wouldn't start in the car park so had to call breakdown recovery. Guy was with us within 14 minutes! Which is fantastic really. He tried turning car over, check for fuel at the rail which was fine. He then plugged his jump leads in and churned it over until it burst into life. Said he thought it might be spark plugs and advised I change them and other thing he said was temperature sensor was common. Anyway on the drive home the temp gauge was up and down like a yoyo so drove straight to the indy garage I've used a few times and asked his opinion. At the point the bonnet was opened and the expansion tank was venting water/steam, hoses were under high pressured so he thinks that the head gasket has probably gone between cylinder and water jacket as there is no sign of water in the oil. But he said it may simply be the thermostat thats stuck so he'll change that tomorrow and see what the result is.

Now what do you guys think?

Car has been hesitant on boost between gears but otherwise fine with the exception of struggling to hot start and rad fan being on constantly for a few days after having the heater matrix replaced week before last.

Regards Neil

SteveRuss
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 19:14
Hi all,
Just got in from a day trip out in the volvo, all ran lovely except it wouldn't start in the car park so had to call breakdown recovery. Guy was with us within 14 minutes! Which is fantastic really. He tried turning car over, check for fuel at the rail which was fine. He then plugged his jump leads in and churned it over until it burst into life. Said he thought it might be spark plugs and advised I change them and other thing he said was temperature sensor was common. Anyway on the drive home the temp gauge was up and down like a yoyo so drove straight to the indy garage I've used a few times and asked his opinion. At the point the bonnet was opened and the expansion tank was venting water/steam, hoses were under high pressured so he thinks that the head gasket has probably gone between cylinder and water jacket as there is no sign of water in the oil. But he said it may simply be the thermostat thats stuck so he'll change that tomorrow and see what the result is.

Now what do you guys think?

Car has been hesitant on boost between gears but otherwise fine with the exception of struggling to hot start and rad fan being on constantly for a few days after having the heater matrix replaced week before last.

Regards Neil

My heater matrix went, the water pump and then the rad. All attributed to the head gasket on the way out, which eventually went. I'm not saying you have the same issue but it can be a sign...

I highly recommend a head gasket pressure test which is apparently 99% accurate, quick and cheap.. Any decent garage should be able to do it... If it passes, then i'd throw in a new thermo and see what happens.

Best of luck..

ncarnall
Tuesday 11th October 2011, 23:10
Cheers steve, sounds like I'll need the luck!

ncarnall
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 14:37
Update,
Garage has changed the thermostat and this seems to cured the excess pressure. He said he tested the old in hot water and it wouldn't open at all (probably all the bars leak stuff I put in to keep the heater matrix alive). Car now showing water temp code so that will be changed when the correct part arrives tomorrow and fingers crossed that sorts out the hot starting problems.

SteveRuss
Wednesday 12th October 2011, 18:10
Update,
Garage has changed the thermostat and this seems to cured the excess pressure. He said he tested the old in hot water and it wouldn't open at all (probably all the bars leak stuff I put in to keep the heater matrix alive). Car now showing water temp code so that will be changed when the correct part arrives tomorrow and fingers crossed that sorts out the hot starting problems.

That sounds like good news. I didn't mean to scare you but it's worth being prepared for the worst. Makes a simple fix more satisfying.. !

Regards. Steve

ncarnall
Monday 17th October 2011, 12:31
All sorted now, but needed crank sensor as well to sort the hot starting problem. and only cost me £190 total, well chuffed :-)

Jamest5r
Monday 17th October 2011, 13:52
I've got some spare crank sensors if your after one tenner plus pp

ncarnall
Monday 17th October 2011, 13:53
Cheers mate, but had new one fitted.