PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

dalhousie2008
Sunday 9th October 2011, 19:07
Hi all i have a ok condition t5r auto, what I want to do is a manual swap, what I need to know is how does the cruise control work? I.e I heard it's off the abs ring and from gearbox also.

What model gearbox do i need? And would a t5 be ok, also does anybody have a list of parts exactly.

Cheers guys i bow to your knowledge on such matters

T5frankie
Sunday 9th October 2011, 19:09
what would be the point? sell yours and buy one in better condition and hardly be out of pocket or be quite a bit out of pocket doing the conversion its a no brainer especially with t5's being so cheap

dalhousie2008
Sunday 9th October 2011, 19:11
I am quite attached to it and know the car well. But think it would benefit from the swap

T5frankie
Sunday 9th October 2011, 19:32
jamest5r done this swap there is an in depth write up somewhere on here on how to do it

dalhousie2008
Sunday 9th October 2011, 19:44
I think that's the one i read but his was a 850r and that was where i git the notion my cruise control would not work. I'll give him a buzz see if he knows

T5frankie
Sunday 9th October 2011, 19:59
I think that's the one i read but his was a 850r and that was where i git the notion my cruise control would not work. I'll give him a buzz see if he knows

his was a t5-r and he has had and is still having his fair share of issues.

Volvostorm
Sunday 9th October 2011, 20:14
Apart from the ECU and the turbo's, there are both the same car.

Shadow
Sunday 9th October 2011, 21:53
its easy to do the conversion. I did it on my own in my front garden in 3 days.

Parts.

gearbox (m56H or m56L) high and low ratio iv been told
flywheel
rear main oil seal( might as well when it in bits)
new fly wheel bolts (don't try and use the old ones as there stretch bolts also the new ones are trox bolts not bolts)
clutch (850 r one is the strongest)
manual drive shafts (stronger inner joints the the auto ones)
shifter cables and the gear lever
clutch master and slave cylinder and hoses
manual pedal box (clutch and brake pedals only)
cruse control switch for the clutch pedal (with some wire and the hose)
gear box oil (2.1 liters)

you can just remove the auto box ECU when you done the conversion and on the plug that went on the auto box you will have to bridge two of the pins two get the starter to work off the key and you'll have to find the two for the reverse light switch (check tomorrow).

to get the cruse to work you have to make a loom you self but is easy. on the break pedal there are two switches one is the brake lights and the other for the cruse (should be white with two pins) now cut one of the wires (any one) and wire in the clutch pedal switch. I do my best to enplane it. it should go wire from the car to the brake pedal switch then the other wire to any of the clutch switch pins and from the other clutch pin back to the car loom. basically you have to wire the two switches in parallel.now the hose from the clutch switch just has to be TEE ed into the one on the brake pedal switch then you need to find the cruse control relay and bend or cut pin ( ill check tomorrow) and put it back in and the cruse control will work as normal.

that's what i did and iv done 6000 miles since and its been fine. mines a t5r too.

if you go on the the Volvo owner club site and use the search button and type in how to convert an auto to manual and search for the post by dooby follow that and you should be ok.

dalhousie2008
Sunday 9th October 2011, 22:21
Thanks shadow thats a real big help, i found a link via jamest5r as well, but much appreciated for the advice. I'll have to look for a diff as well whilst I'm there, glad to hear yours is going strong

Jamest5r
Sunday 9th October 2011, 22:30
his was a t5-r and he has had and is still having his fair share of issues.

The manual conversion was fine ran lovely, just eats engine's for fun :)

dalhousie2008
Sunday 9th October 2011, 22:33
Def something im gonna be attempting, just moving so I'll have much more space to do it. Plus should be getting everything i need from another member, he has a 90,000 miles engine and box so all should be good in the land of volvos

Shadow
Sunday 9th October 2011, 23:06
90,000 miles! all my stuff i striped off of a smashed t5r that had 176.000 miles on it so my box must have about 182,000 on it now and its still silent. although im now look for a 6 speed box from an st3 focus.

dalhousie2008
Sunday 9th October 2011, 23:18
There was a m66 in parts section on here for sale, not cheap though