PDA

View Full Version : Is manual accelerator firmer than auto

Boxzoo
Saturday 8th October 2011, 21:25
I drive a 1996 850R auto but moving back and forth between that and a manual 1998 S70R the difference in the pressure the accelerator needs is incredible. It's so solid on the manual compared to the auto, manual is very stiff. Nearly put my foot through the floor when I switch to the auto after a while in the manual.

Anyone else got experience of driving the two close together and so have any views on whether this is just how they are or whether one needs some attention? Thx.

claymore
Saturday 8th October 2011, 21:44
I think you need to look at the cable on the manual one

volvokid
Saturday 8th October 2011, 21:52
There should be no difference, my old v40 had a far stiffer pedal compared to my current one

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 8th October 2011, 22:20
My cousins V70 throttle cable had worn to the point that it was like standing on a rock, and eventually it broke. He managed to drive the car home by putting the broken cable out from the back the bonnet and through the drivers window and controlled the throttle that way LOL

Mine is feeling a bit stiff, need to get a new one soon.

Rufe is the person to speak to, got my cousins replacement from him.

tim15888
Saturday 8th October 2011, 22:54
Either the cable is sticking or the pedal is sticking of the throttle body is stiff. There should be no difference. More than likely it is the cable, happens alot, make or buy a new one before it snaps and you end up having to wedge the throttle open slightly with a coke bottle lid so the engine races at 2500rpm to limp home on like I've done in the past...

Boxzoo
Friday 14th October 2011, 21:17
Had cable changed and now feels light and good. Much nicer drive.