PDA

View Full Version : Hit and miss starting!

woody
Thursday 16th December 2004, 16:18
Hi all, Woody here. My '96 850R auto has recently started to dislike starting! I try to start it as I always have and the starter goes to engage, as u'd expect, but just as the Engine fires, it quits. I then have to start over again, or not as the case may be!!!. Sometimes after shifting the gear selector from park through to 1st and back to park, its starts no problem(but not always!). Being an engineer by trade and although the starter sounds strong, would I be right in thinking that it doesnt meen its healthly, but just the early signs of complete failure! Any advice would be great, thanks alot.

Justin
Thursday 16th December 2004, 20:24
Could be several things and someone correct me if im wrong (Im not tho ;) )

There is a switch that tells the engine that the car is in park and it can fire up, these wear out.

If the cam position sensor is faulty it will give you this fault, as soon as the flywheel moves it shuts off.

Other that that it can only be the starter on its way out.

Hope that helps

woody
Friday 17th December 2004, 18:07
Thanks Justin. You mentioned the 'Cam position sensor', whats the crack with changing these?, is it an internal item or is it a garage job!.Is it worth going down that route before bringing the starter into question?. Thanks again for your help. Woody.

Justin
Friday 17th December 2004, 18:14
Ask Duane AKA Covcrew, he has done 2 of them, and i havent lol.

But no its not a major job, i think its behind the dizzy cap ;)

Pedro Fandango
Friday 17th December 2004, 18:51
Thanks Justin. You mentioned the 'Cam position sensor', whats the crack with changing these?, is it an internal item or is it a garage job!.Is it worth going down that route before bringing the starter into question?. Thanks again for your help. Woody.
the cam shaft position sensor is in the same place as the dizzy but on the end of the other camshaft (if that makes sense), its held on by 3 torque screws & has wire trailing off it, un-screw & un-plug & its ready to be replaced. I'd check the codes first tho, no point changing it if its not faulty