PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade

MoleT-5R
Thursday 6th October 2011, 12:44
Just about to upgrade my t-5r's brakes and have seen mtec brake products on ebay so i thought i would see if anybody else has used them and if there drilled and grooved disc's with mintex redbox pads were any good???:confused:

swampy
Thursday 6th October 2011, 12:57
Fit a set of braided lines and new fluid whilst your at it.

S70T5Chris
Thursday 6th October 2011, 13:02
I've tried many different brake setups over the years. If your sticking with the volvo calipers and 302mm brakes, which I suspect you are, then go for genuine volvo discs. They are far better than anything else you can get. I've tried cheap drilled/grooved branded drilled/grooved, brembo discs, volvo discs, etc, etc... Volvo discs are by far the best in every way, regardless of what the companies bumpf says.

Also when it comes to pads, stick with genuine Volvo pads from the dealer. They are much better than most of the so-called 'uprated' pads you can get. Something like DS2500's will be better, but only marginally (enough to notice on the road?? probably not), and they're twice the price of gen Volvo pads.

IMHO, this is another one of those cases where the 'uprated' parts, a lot of the time aren't!

S70T5Chris
Thursday 6th October 2011, 13:04
Also agree with Swampy, braided lines are good, and new fluid is a must!! Makes a world of difference.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 6th October 2011, 13:18
I've tried many different brake setups over the years. If your sticking with the volvo calipers and 302mm brakes, which I suspect you are, then go for genuine volvo discs. They are far better than anything else you can get. I've tried cheap drilled/grooved branded drilled/grooved, brembo discs, volvo discs, etc, etc... Volvo discs are by far the best in every way, regardless of what the companies bumpf says.

Also when it comes to pads, stick with genuine Volvo pads from the dealer. They are much better than most of the so-called 'uprated' pads you can get. Something like DS2500's will be better, but only marginally (enough to notice on the road?? probably not), and they're twice the price of gen Volvo pads.

IMHO, this is another one of those cases where the 'uprated' parts, a lot of the time aren't!

I am with you on the Volvo disc front Chris. If Moleadrian has a T5R it is more than likely to have 280mm discs so I would suggest getting in touch with Rufe at FRF Volvo Swansea, mention the Forum, and order a 302mm upgrade set. I also concur on the pad issue. I have never had a problem with Volvo ones on 302mm (but have on 280mm - eeeeek!) for road driving.

glock19
Friday 14th October 2011, 02:57
S70T5Chris is right. Go for genuine all the way but for those with 300 ponies (or more), it's still not enough to stop. I added a vacuum pump to the servo (from the s40/s80 MY2001 range) which has a pressure switch cum check valve. When the vacuum to the servo is low, the pump will activate to maintain vacuum - especially during high boost freeway runs.

Really made a difference even though I was already using genuine 302 s60t5 rotors and 850 pads before the addition.

p fandango
Friday 14th October 2011, 05:44
genuine 302 s60t5 rotors
302's are off a S/V70R, S60 T-5's use 305's & have a difference offset

JUDGENINJA
Friday 14th October 2011, 11:48
It must be the way I drive, cos I suffered from brake fade using a standard setup on my V40. I gambled on a Brembo Max disc (has an osilating groove) and series 1 V/S40 DS2500's and used them on Silverstone where I never had an issue or since(fingers crossed).

M-R-P
Friday 14th October 2011, 12:07
Just changed disks (OE's were Brembo 305mm), pads (Volvo plod spec) and fluid and although it's still bedding - in, By hell does it stop well. :)

MoleT-5R
Saturday 15th October 2011, 05:20
Thanks firstly for all your input into what is best, braking wise, but the volvo disc's don't do much for adding that aggressive stance to the braking department when stationary and i have always fancied fitting some nice drilled and grooved disc's to my scruffy but much loved t5-r, which does get regularly driven at 110% ( just great fun, the mix of grunt, darkness, narrow welsh lanes and keeping the big swede on the black stuff at speed, very addictive, adrenalin inducing stuff i say )

So as you see the brake issue is most likely going to wind up being a trade off in the end and then there's drag racing with the vpc crowd so why am i trying to find out the best stopping setup, when i should be spending my money on going faster, as stopping is less important there ( scrutineers didn't seem bothered checking that your brakes would arrest you from the lighting speeds that we all are trying to achieve - lol

p fandango
Saturday 15th October 2011, 05:49
if you do go drilled & grooved then stay well away from EBC, been thru 2 sets which have cracked up

LiamT4
Saturday 15th October 2011, 13:39
Nothing wrong with ebc pads though.

I had red stuff pads with braided hoses and 5.1 brake fluid on my t4 and although i never tracked them (and i wouldn't use red stuff on a track anyway as they are just fast road pads), they got a good workout on a trip to north devon where there were lots of very steep hills and hairpin bends and they didn't fade once, just kept getting better the more they were used. Also worked very well braking from high speeds (100mph plus).

Personally i'v never thought much of the standard volvo pad to be honest (not saying they are bad though), the discs are good, but i rate ebc, ferodo and pagid all a lot better than the volvo pads.

I would say that of all the cars i been in with grooved/drilled discs, whatever make, that they lack a bit of bite when they are cold. Thats why i always say good pads, hoses and fluid are more important than the discs for road use.

But on the other hand, some big drilled discs behind the front wheels give a car a bit more of an aggressive look.

glock19
Monday 17th October 2011, 01:01
302's are off a S/V70R, S60 T-5's use 305's & have a difference offset

I did not know that... could be the reason why I need to add some shims for the brackett and file my pads down in order to fit into the car.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 17th October 2011, 09:08
I've tried the genuine pads approach before and they are terrible, they fade badly. Currently I have the MTEC drilled/grooved discs on and EBC yellowstuff pads (bog standard 280mm diameter).

The discs have started to crack from the drilled holes (happened the same with the D/G discs I had on before too), but the braking performance is great, no fade and the yellowstuff pads are low dust (had to wash my wheels all the time with the genuine pads). Had the pads on 18 months or so and still some meat left on them (and I'm not easy on the brakes).

Seems to be a good choice if you're on a budget. Possibly just get the grooved discs as the drilled ones tend to crack from the holes

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/brakes/21102009212.jpg

Cracks from the previous set
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/brakes/21102009213.jpg

MoleT-5R
Monday 17th October 2011, 15:32
I've tried the genuine pads approach before and they are terrible, they fade badly. Currently I have the MTEC drilled/grooved discs on and EBC yellowstuff pads (bog standard 280mm diameter).

The discs have started to crack from the drilled holes (happened the same with the D/G discs I had on before too), but the braking performance is great, no fade and the yellowstuff pads are low dust (had to wash my wheels all the time with the genuine pads). Had the pads on 18 months or so and still some meat left on them (and I'm not easy on the brakes).

Seems to be a good choice if you're on a budget. Possibly just get the grooved discs as the drilled ones tend to crack from the holes

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/brakes/21102009212.jpg

Cracks from the previous set
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/bomb192uk/brakes/21102009213.jpg

thanks that cracking is worth bearing in mind and i'll maybe just go for the grooved option, thanks again

woz
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 21:25

Interestingly I went from ds2500 back to standard pads, still on Brembo 302mm discs and the difference was quite definite! Much less bite and feel, but much less snatch and grab at low speeds too. They really work well when cold, but you can see the kids heads rocking back and forth on the school run, even if trying to brake as gently as possible.

Going back to uprated pads again ASAP even though the Volvo ones have only done a few months use.

Can't say if there's a difference with the discs though.

W

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 21:42
I have to agree entirely on the Pad front, I have and always will swear by the DS2500's. I have them on front and rear and they last forever, do not fade and always stop the car.

Discs however... cant stand the grooved ones, personal preferance purely because they sound like a jet about to take off when you stamp your foot on the brakes.

I have found the Volvo discs the best for longetivity and are the least likely to warp.