PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a Turbo for my '99 V70R?

brendan
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 16:53
Hello. I'm new to this so, patience. I have a V70 R AWD from 1999. And the turbo has gone very smokey on me. Usually after coasting. It's got an oil leak from the turbo too. My garage has advised me I need a new turbo, but as it's an R it's apparently difficult to get hold of. (Somert about size and compression?)
Has anybody got any suggestions or advice please.

Cheers

claymore
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 16:59
Sounds more like a blocked PCV and a knackered "O" ring on the turbo oil return pipe, I wouldn't condem the turbo just yet.

S70T5Chris
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 17:01
You will have a 19t turbo. They do from time to time come up for sale second hand, but are fairly rare.

The only other option is from the dealer. They are around the £650 mark give or take with the forum discount via Rufe @ FRF. Once ordered, you can normally have them within a few days, so there shouldn't be any issues getting hold of a new one.

smithy
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 17:20
if your turbo is nackered get it rebuilt and modded at the same time turbo technics do a 20g wheel conversion for a good price and thats rebuilt too.but check everything else first like pcv and turbo return pipe

dalhousie2008
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 18:35
Volvolised has an 18t for sale at a good price, not sure how close a match that is?

brendan
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 19:17
So far so good. Thank you everyone. What does PCV stand for? The turbo does appear to be working so if I can repair it / get it repaired i will. I'm in Manchester. Does anyone know of a turbo mechanic in the North West of England that they can recommend?

my car has been in my family from new and only has 104k on the clock, so I think it's worth persevering with, though it has a few smaller issues that I'll be back to get tips for.

T5frankie
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 19:27
it could be the valve seals also mine had this problem

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 21:57
got mine for the R from ebay..no probs think your turbo is an 18 tho...not sure mate some one will be a long and put us right lol

merc85
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 22:29
Positive Crankcase Ventilation

siamblue
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 23:36
It will be a angled 18t if it is the standard turbo for the 2.3, the 19t only came on the 2.4 cars.

Gary.

brendan
Thursday 6th October 2011, 14:51
Cheers everyone. Fairly sure now it's an 18t turbo I'm after. Thanks for answering the PCV question. What's volvolised? Can't find a website for them. Tho' I'm gonna try and repair the turbo I've got. Regarding the valve seals; someone else said that so I had the engine taken out and all of the valves reseated etc. Can't do that stuff myself so it was £1100 to get it done. I'm too far down the road of getting stuff done to call it a day.

I'm not selling yet, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what it might be worth? It's totally standard V70R AWD Auto, S reg 1999.

Good things; Lots of early VSH, been with my bro then my dad (75yrs old - never went above 3k revs) then me for the last 2 years. In the family from new. Engine overhauled 4k miles ago. ££££ Only 104k miles! (Less than 50k in last 8 years)

Bad things; Air con broken. Some minor paint scratches. A smokey turbo!

It needs an enthusiast to give it some TLC.

Just a ball park figure anyone?

Brendan

thunderace
Thursday 6th October 2011, 17:02
. What's volvolised? .

Brendan

Who...see here http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37942&highlight=18t

T5frankie
Thursday 6th October 2011, 18:56
Cheers everyone. Fairly sure now it's an 18t turbo I'm after. Thanks for answering the PCV question. What's volvolised? Can't find a website for them. Tho' I'm gonna try and repair the turbo I've got. Regarding the valve seals; someone else said that so I had the engine taken out and all of the valves reseated etc. Can't do that stuff myself so it was £1100 to get it done. I'm too far down the road of getting stuff done to call it a day.

I'm not selling yet, but can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what it might be worth? It's totally standard V70R AWD Auto, S reg 1999.

Good things; Lots of early VSH, been with my bro then my dad (75yrs old - never went above 3k revs) then me for the last 2 years. In the family from new. Engine overhauled 4k miles ago. ££££ Only 104k miles! (Less than 50k in last 8 years)

Bad things; Air con broken. Some minor paint scratches. A smokey turbo!

It needs an enthusiast to give it some TLC.

Just a ball park figure anyone?

Brendan

you might get 2k for it if the turbo was ok