PDA

View Full Version : Code readers.

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 13:45
What does everyone use for code reading?
I've got a snap on solus that i use for most things but it doesnt talk to the volvo, It only does V70 from 2000 on.
Looking around ebay theres the usual batch of shonky generic code readers with badly translated descriptions that i would normally run a mile from but i dont fancy laying out another couple of grand on something just to use on my own car.
So in short, has anyone bought a cheap ebay special code reader and been happy with it?
Will they read more than just generic EOBD codes, do they do service lights and ABS and SRS too?
Any access to live data or component tests?
And most importantly, how much did you pay?
Thanking you muchly.

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:15
I encountered similar problems with the Snap on Solus when me and jamest5r tried to use one on his car, couldnt believe it wouldnt work!

I have yet to find a generic OBD reader that will read 850's and I have tried many.

The only one that has worked is the Launch X431 Diagun.

As pictured below... only problem is its £1500

http://www.obdtoolshop.com/images/products/2011311191916265w1000h1000uzhuoli/2011-year-launch-x431-diagun-68software-offer.jpg

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:27
I use this, http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/car-safety/rac-diagnostics-scanner.asp

8000 manufacturers codes, never failed me yet (apart from whem Mr & Mrs P.A's Christine killed it lol!)

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:34
I was looking at launch before i bought my solus and i still might get one in the future as they have quite good programing capabilities. The only thing that puts me off is i've heard the updates and support is not all that great, although £1500 is entry level for a profesional scan tool so its to be expected.
I've tried pulling EOBD codes with my solus and my micro scan but no luck. I was starting to wonder if it was a problem with the diagnostic socket.

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:39
I use this, http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/car-safety/rac-diagnostics-scanner.asp

8000 manufacturers codes, never failed me yet (apart from whem Mr & Mrs P.A's Christine killed it lol!)

Thats interesting. I understand that that is a rebranded version of the autell
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MS509-Diagnostic-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-/220761792594?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item33666da052
If so I've heard good things about them as a budget scanner. Might be worth splashing out on as an early christmas present.

p fandango
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:50

P2's are fully OBDII compliant, while 850's aren't (its an age thing). Your friendly stalker ;)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:53
Thats interesting. I understand that that is a rebranded version of the autell
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MS509-Diagnostic-OBD2-Fault-Code-Reader-Scanner-/220761792594?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item33666da052
If so I've heard good things about them as a budget scanner. Might be worth splashing out on as an early christmas present.

I dont think the Autel's work, I have tried a few to no avail.

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 14:56
EOBD or OBDII became law in 2001, so anything earlier than that can be hit or miss.
I might have a look on ebay for one of the old fashioned sykes pickavant readers or an old snap on heritage scanner.

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 15:17
P2's are fully OBDII compliant, while 850's aren't (its an age thing). Your friendly stalker ;)

Got to admit, I've not tried it on many older cars, but it's always given full descriptions. It can even clear EML in most situations (except faulty DIM ahem)

p fandango
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 16:12
Got to admit, I've not tried it on many older cars, but it's always given full descriptions. It can even clear EML in most situations (except faulty DIM ahem)
the weird thing is it won't read a thing on my bro's 2004 Festa despite the fact it should be fully compliant as its past the date

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 17:04
the weird thing is it won't read a thing on my bro's 2004 Festa despite the fact it should be fully compliant as its past the date

Is it diesel? Diesels didnt need to be compliant untill 2006.

andyb1375
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 17:44
Hi Buddy.i use the Launch and its brill. Mine cost £799. To date i haven't found anything that it doesn't work on. It also come with a full box of leads to do all kinds of jap cars

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 18:42
Hi Buddy.i use the Launch and its brill. Mine cost £799. To date i haven't found anything that it doesn't work on. It also come with a full box of leads to do all kinds of jap cars

Thats a good price. Have you updated it yet?

p fandango
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 18:46
Is it diesel? Diesels didnt need to be compliant untill 2006.
no petrol

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 19:03
no petrol

Something fishy going on there then. You shouldnt have any problems reading that.

p fandango
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 19:08
Something fishy going on there then. You shouldnt have any problems reading that.
it is only a cheap £20 generic reader, but its still had no trouble reading Jag's, Merc's, P2 Volvo's but not the Fiesta

andyb1375
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 19:34
Thats a good price. Have you updated it yet?

Yes. I do an update monthly

merc85
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 23:51
Snap on Launch will read 850's obd11, Solous will not

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Thursday 6th October 2011, 11:28
Yes. I do an update monthly

And no problems? That reassuring, I've heard a few horror stories about people not being able to update the cheaper ones and launch not doing anything about it because they weren't supplied through them.

Rev. Dick Deluxe
Thursday 6th October 2011, 11:30
Snap on Launch will read 850's obd11, Solous will not

Launch are nothing to do with Snap-On. Snap-On gear is all made by Sun.