PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got thoughts on the S40 1.9D cira 2002?

Liddo
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 09:46
Im looking at ALL sorts of cars for a run around for the next 12 months

Ive seen a nice S40 1.9D Sport Lux thats in my price range. Ive never had an S40, soooooo, what are they like compared to the 70 series???

Al115
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 09:54
Pretty nice actually. Lighter and more agile. A bit cheaper inside. If you're looking at a Phase 2 car (2002) then I think you will be impressed.

yorkshire R
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 10:14
i bought my S40 T4 back from the guy i sold it to as i missed it! parts are pretty cheap.... i just bought a genuine volvo battery for £49.40.my friend who is a a volvo mechanic said if looked after there as good as any volvo.there is more rear leg room in my s40 than my audi a4 i just sold.

volvokid
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 10:15
Ive had mine since 2007 and its still going strong, it cant really be compared to the bigger volvos, but there comfy enough

Liddo
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 10:36
Cheers chaps! Any idea what the diesel engines are like?? Are they refined???

volvokid
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 11:30
Cheers chaps! Any idea what the diesel engines are like?? Are they refined???

There quite sturdy wouldnt say fast but can certainly nip on, but they do sound like tractors, one thing though as much as the big volvos are more comfy i would say the 40s have less rattles.

I avg about 46 mpg, use to get mid 50s but i think my all season front tyres have knocked it down

Liddo
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 11:49
There quite sturdy wouldnt say fast but can certainly nip on, but they do sound like tractors, one thing though as much as the big volvos are more comfy i would say the 40s have less rattles.

I avg about 46 mpg, use to get mid 50s but i think my all season front tyres have knocked it down

Nice one, cheers for that, will be taking a look at a Sport Lux this weekend ;)

volvokid
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 12:13
Least ull have climate control and heated seats think they have hid lights too :^)

siamblue
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 16:22
I thought i was not going to take the change over lightly, but i absolutely love my T4, 45+ on a long run 32 around town, it's a lot smaller than the V70R, but it is also a lot lighter, parts are a whole lot cheaper and a lot of the 1,2,3,4,5,6 Evo stuff fits, coilovers can be had on Ebay at £250, strut braces £30, the list goes on.
Oh and the sports lux looks the dogs..
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/siamblue/IMAG0150.jpg

Gary

t4 chump
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 19:02
I thought i was not going to take the change over lightly, but i absolutely love my T4, 45+ on a long run 32 around town, it's a lot smaller than the V70R, but it is also a lot lighter, parts are a whole lot cheaper and a lot of the 1,2,3,4,5,6 Evo stuff fits, coilovers can be had on Ebay at £250, strut braces £30, the list goes on.
Oh and the sports lux looks the dogs..
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/siamblue/IMAG0150.jpg

Gary

I want your wheels lol

volvokid
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 20:31
I want your wheels lol

No you dont there a nightmare to keep clean lol. They are the best looking wheels for the 40 range :)

t4 chump
Thursday 6th October 2011, 00:09
No you dont there a nightmare to keep clean lol. They are the best looking wheels for the 40 range :)

in fact i want the roof rails and that front grill too then mine will the same :)

siamblue
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:21
Those wheels are sat in my garden at the moment, as in that pic they were taken back to bare metal,
As for the grille you have the same grille as i do ;) except i painted the inside part of my in satin Black. as the egg crate grilles on the 40 series are so cheaply made, they are always breaking...

Gary.

volvokid
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:24
Those wheels are sat in my garden at the moment, as in that pic they were taken back to bare metal,
As for the grille you have the same grille as i do ;) except i painted the inside part of my in satin Black. as the egg crate grilles on the 40 series are so cheaply made, they are always breaking...

Gary.

Nah they dont break unless you have to break them because the cable release for the bonnet has snapped and you need to get it replaced, thats why you see so much with broken grills

AndysR
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:26
Nah they dont break unless you have to break them because the cable release for the bonnet has snapped and you need to get it replaced, thats why you see so much with broken grills

You'd like to think that people would replace them rather than leaving an ugly huge hole where the grille used to be!

volvokid
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:31
You'd like to think that people would replace them rather than leaving an ugly huge hole where the grille used to be!

Exaclty some people dont care though, thats was the first thing i fixed on my V40 i cant believe i bought that car, it was in some state. There has been a few pounds spent on it now getting it to look nicer, but god its been a good strong car.

AndysR
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:37
Exaclty some people dont care though, thats was the first thing i fixed on my V40 i cant believe i bought that car, it was in some state. There has been a few pounds spent on it now getting it to look nicer, but god its been a good strong car.

Look after a car and it will look after you... getting a grille from a breakers would look 100 times better than no grille at all. I unfortunately have a "if it's fitted it has to work" attitude and for that reason I will always be ploughing money into cars and loosing a small fortune when I sell them.

Yeah I can imagine, it's not as pretty as the S/V40 range but the Mitsubishi Carisma, which I have alot of experience with, is a similar trusty steed and they have the same bloodline as the Volvo's.

volvokid
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:40
Look after a car and it will look after you... getting a grille from a breakers would look 100 times better than no grille at all.

Yeah I can imagine, it's not as pretty as the S/V40 range but the Mitsubishi Carisma, which I have alot of experience with, is a similar trusty steed and they have the same bloodline as the Volvo's.

Thats because the 40's were designed in partnership with that car ;^)

siamblue
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:50
You have to feel the plastic on these grilles to believe it, they really are cheap and nasty, hence why i would never put one on my P2.

Gary

volvokid
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:54
Mine has one its been fine with me, i dont exactly hold it to open and close the bonnet so it will never break i really dont know why you think there that bad, looks better than flaking black paint, just kidding.

AndysR
Thursday 6th October 2011, 23:59
Thats because the 40's were designed in partnership with that car ;^)

I know ;)

volvokid
Friday 7th October 2011, 00:02
I know ;)

Heehee very well then sir

t4 chump
Friday 7th October 2011, 11:16

Gary.

Have u got the same wheels as mine on now? I do like the egg crate grilles but not spending money on it atm as no job. Is it still going strong with 144k on?

siamblue
Friday 7th October 2011, 15:20
Have u got the same wheels as mine on now? I do like the egg crate grilles but not spending money on it atm as no job. Is it still going strong with 144k on?

HI I put the Galactica's back on these ones, they still look good for 16" rims.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/siamblue/IMAG0131.jpg
Car is still going strong, turbo is knackered though and bottom engine/tranny mount £24 for a poly one from Powerflex, other than that i can't see anything else wrong with her,

Gary.

t4 chump
Friday 7th October 2011, 18:08
HI I put the Galactica's back on these ones, they still look good for 16" rims.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/siamblue/IMAG0131.jpg
Car is still going strong, turbo is knackered though and bottom engine/tranny mount £24 for a poly one from Powerflex, other than that i can't see anything else wrong with her,

Gary.

Same as mine. Minus all the kerb marks from the mrs and the dinted rear quarter that was loving done by a bull bar on a sprinter. If its original turbo suppose it hasnt done bad