PDA

View Full Version : Correct proceedure for painting by cans.

siamblue
Tuesday 4th October 2011, 09:23
I am wanting to paint a few small parts on my T4, I have done a few searches but there is so much conflicting info out there.
So what is the best technique to prep and spray with rattle cans?

I have so far wet and dried the plastic part I want to paint, then applied 3 coats of plastic primer, which I smoothed down with 1200 grade wet and dry, now I have applied 6 thin coats of base coat,

Here is the conflitcting part, some people state.

Spay lacquer after 2 hrs of applying top coat, so the chemicals are still in the base coat for a better finish when the top coat is applied, others say leave top coat to harden for a week then wet and dry with 600 then 1200 then 2000 grade paper, finally applying the top coat.

Gary

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 4th October 2011, 11:13
hi gary..did that bumper i got from you no probs with cans..sand bumper with 800 then filled small marks..sanded with 800 then 1200 then painted, 3 coats sanded with 1200 last coat then lacuer..came out brill no probs..but every one has there owen way mate..

Mongo
Tuesday 4th October 2011, 12:12
If its metalic do a drop coat (pull the can away 10 inches and do a very even dusty like tecnique) Just fill the tape around the area painted with pressure but make sure all the paint is matt no wet bits or thatl stay wet like under the laquer! if the paint is dry its ready to laquer heat the can and shake it spray a semi wet dusty coat so its just enough to be shiny about 6-8 inches away the i would get the hair dryer on it for a min-min& half then do your full coat of laquer same distance.
Good luck!! Just remember anything you see in the base coat u will still see in the laquer.

thunderace
Thursday 6th October 2011, 16:59
Gary, there's quite a good article in this months Practical Classics.