PDA

View Full Version : Performance

Steveh24
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 09:44
I have a 250BHP S60 T5, how much can I increase the turbo boost via an engine remap and still use standard unleaded petrol and what will be the increased BHP.

I was looking at a RICA mod, but I've been told by a few guys who've had it done that you have to use Super Unleaded, which is much more expensive than normal unleaded.

Are there any other people that can remap the S60 cheaper than RICA, which is quite expensive.

Steveh24

dalhousie2008
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 09:45
It's usually a little better on fuel after map 3 to 5 mpg

bigrotch
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 09:52
it allways better to run on supper unleaded higer octane the car will run better and more mpg..... moxxsons unleaded is 134.9pl and tesxos super unleaded 99ron is 136.5pl so only 1.6p differance where im from in essex so its a no brainer for me

t5_monkey
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 10:09
If you get it remapped and run it on Shell 99ron... You won't care about a slight additional cost because it'll be so much quicker.

Steveh24
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 10:31
Ok, so apart from the extra cost of the fuel, what is the best mod to have, how much does it cost and what will be the increased BHP

t5_monkey
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 11:36
Best mod - honestly?

Bilstein B8 dampers and a strut Brace to sort the handling - after all your car is pretty quick already.

Remap wise - got MTE or RICA and you won't go far wrong.

Remap wise you'll go from 250 to about 280bhp. Don't get sucked in by power claims they all get a bit optimistic to get you to part with your cash.

cost £300-400, don't skimp on remaps!

Steveh24
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 13:21
Thanks T5 Monkey

I have seen both MTE & RICA making claims of 310BHP, but wasn't sure if that was possible and to be honest I can't see how the car will be feel any quicker with just a gain of 30HP, although I know the turbo is capable of boosting far more than the 10 or 11 psi it is at the moment.

Steveh24

t5_monkey
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 17:58
Thanks T5 Monkey

I have seen both MTE & RICA making claims of 310BHP, but wasn't sure if that was possible and to be honest I can't see how the car will be feel any quicker with just a gain of 30HP, although I know the turbo is capable of boosting far more than the 10 or 11 psi it is at the moment.

Steveh24

It's pretty much irrevelant as we're limited to 70mph in the UK anyways.

280 with a remap, 350 is possible with a new Front mount intercoolers, injectors, and 3" downpipe.

But as I say... its fast already, if the chassis is good you'll enjoy every yard, not just the straights.

Ade
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 20:58
It's usually a little better on fuel after map 3 to 5 mpg

Never understood this. How can a car be more economical after being mapped to produce more boost?! The extra boost is purely there so more fuel can be sent in after all! I've never had anything but less economy after upping power in every car I've owned. I wouldn't expect anything else either..... go faster, spend more money!

T5frankie
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 21:03
Never understood this. How can a car be more economical after being mapped to produce more boost?! The extra boost is purely there so more fuel can be sent in after all! I've never had anything but less economy after upping power in every car I've owned. I wouldn't expect anything else either..... go faster, spend more money!

its easy to understand, you will put your foot down less to achieve the same results as before i.e speed

T5frankie
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 21:04
Thanks T5 Monkey

Steveh24

bhp is irrelevant but you can gain 50nms of torque which is what matters

t5_monkey
Sunday 2nd October 2011, 22:38
or more :) Mine went up over 100nm

Ade
Monday 3rd October 2011, 14:10
its easy to understand, you will put your foot down less to achieve the same results as before i.e speed

Sorry, but what's the point of increasing performance if you're only going to use the amount you had in the first place?! :lol:

T5frankie
Monday 3rd October 2011, 16:16
Sorry, but what's the point of increasing performance if you're only going to use the amount you had in the first place?! :lol:

cos most people don't hoon around everytime they drive (unlike me ;) )

smithy
Monday 3rd October 2011, 17:05
what turbo is on your car and is it 2.4 or 2.3 makes a big difference in remapping and power gains

LiamT4
Monday 3rd October 2011, 19:50
If its 250bhp, then it would be the 2.3 as the 2.4 with the kkk has 260bhp. I think.

jardon
Monday 3rd October 2011, 21:24
I don't know any of the tuners costs at the moment. You are unlikely to see an improvement in fuel economy if you dip into the increased performance. 310bhp is nonsense but 270-280 is a common dyno result - with all the variables that introduces. the extra torque across a wide rev range is what you are paying for and the headline figures are just willy-waving. Having run 3 stage 1 maps on a car identical in spec to yours I recommend MTE. It was torquey, progressive and didn't run out of puff as early as the Autologic and Rica stage 1's. Fuel wise I didn't pay too much attention to how they behaved with 95 and 99 octane fuel so can't comment accurately - it was quicker than stock by a fair margin on both.

t5_monkey
Monday 3rd October 2011, 21:43
I don't know any of the tuners costs at the moment. You are unlikely to see an improvement in fuel economy if you dip into the increased performance. 310bhp is nonsense but 270-280 is a common dyno result - with all the variables that introduces. the extra torque across a wide rev range is what you are paying for and the headline figures are just willy-waving. Having run 3 stage 1 maps on a car identical in spec to yours I recommend MTE. It was torquey, progressive and didn't run out of puff as early as the Autologic and Rica stage 1's. Fuel wise I didn't pay too much attention to how they behaved with 95 and 99 octane fuel so can't comment accurately - it was quicker than stock by a fair margin on both.

What Jardon said!

Oh and post the videos of yours accelerating again... to give us all something to aim for :D

ROZER
Monday 3rd October 2011, 22:13
i have a 2003 s60 t5 and my car is a rocket ship was fast before but since mods it scares me and my passenger to death there are not many cars that leave me since mods. i had a ferrita 3 inch d/p with custom catback only 1 box just that alone changed the car sound is devine then i had a rica stage 2 car went from 10 psi to 20 psi and sits at 18psi and holds i have boost gauge so i can keep an eye on things overall the performance in third gear onwards with rica is brutal. and i really dont see or feel any change in the way the car drives on unleaded or vpower. its just a ****ing monster full stop.

t5_monkey
Monday 3rd October 2011, 23:02
i have a 2003 s60 t5 and my car is a rocket ship was fast before but since mods it scares me and my passenger to death there are not many cars that leave me since mods. i had a ferrita 3 inch d/p with custom catback only 1 box just that alone changed the car sound is devine then i had a rica stage 2 car went from 10 psi to 20 psi and sits at 18psi and holds i have boost gauge so i can keep an eye on things overall the performance in third gear onwards with rica is brutal. and i really dont see or feel any change in the way the car drives on unleaded or vpower. its just a ****ing monster full stop.

Have you ran a 1/4 mile in it ?