PDA

View Full Version : 17 inch alloys

MattB
Friday 12th August 2005, 11:36
I've recently fitted 17" Canisto Alloys to my car.
Other than a slight rubbing on full lock, they appear to fit ok, with the exception of a 'rumbling' sound at speeds of upto 30 mph. When driving above 30mph, the sound appears to go, which has got me a little confused.

It doesn't sound like a bearing gone - as this tends to be a low whine that gets louder the faster you travel?

Tyres are 225/45/17.
As far as I can see, they do not appear to come into contact (or rub) the brakes etc.

Any ideas as to what it could be - is it just a downside to fitting the larger alloys? HAs anyone else experienced this?

:confused:

'95R
Friday 12th August 2005, 11:46
Hmmm. So it is a sound you hear, not something you can feel through the car or steering wheel?

How long have you noticed this problem, ever since you put the new alloys + tyres on, or just recently?

Were the tires mounted/balanced properly? Are the lug nuts all tigtened? Are any of the brake calipers partially compressed gripping the rotor?

Sorry to ask soooo many questions, those would be the things I would check first, as they are easy to check :)

The Flying Banana
Friday 12th August 2005, 11:59
I've recently fitted 17" Canisto Alloys to my car.
Other than a slight rubbing on full lock, they appear to fit ok, with the exception of a 'rumbling' sound at speeds of upto 30 mph. When driving above 30mph, the sound appears to go, which has got me a little confused.

It doesn't sound like a bearing gone - as this tends to be a low whine that gets louder the faster you travel?

Tyres are 225/45/17.
As far as I can see, they do not appear to come into contact (or rub) the brakes etc.

Any ideas as to what it could be - is it just a downside to fitting the larger alloys? HAs anyone else experienced this?

:confused:

Each wheel might require a spigot ring.....a small plastic insert that sits on the hub to make sure the wheel is centred. ( clicks into the back of teh wheel ) To check if it needs needs one, jack up , loosen wheel nuts and see if the wheel moves up and down ... could be anything up to a couple of mm on the hub..if so it is because the wheel will fit other makes and each car it goes on could have a different hub size so a spigot ring is needed!

'95R
Friday 12th August 2005, 12:31
Each wheel might require a spigot ring.....a small plastic insert that sits on the hub to make sure the wheel is centred. ( clicks into the back of teh wheel ) To check if it needs needs one, jack up , loosen wheel nuts and see if the wheel moves up and down ... could be anything up to a couple of mm on the hub..if so it is because the wheel will fit other makes and each car it goes on could have a different hub size so a spigot ring is needed!
Doh, the one thing I forgot to think of. Good catch :slap:

Hub on the 850 and bore on the wheel may not be the same, so a hubcentric ring would easily fix that if there is play between the wheel/hub.

MattB
Friday 12th August 2005, 12:55
Thanks for the suggested remedies!
The rumble has been present since fitting the larger wheels. I am fairly certain that its a sound as apposed to anything I can feel through the steering wheel (I am off to work in a mo, so will double check this on the way there).
I'll run through the checks (as above) tomorrow morning and let you know how I get on.

:)

thedrill
Friday 12th August 2005, 18:13
Hi , I had a similar problem with a tyre that had worn unevenly , causing a noise like you described..check the tyres for uneven wear or feathering of the treads, mine sounded like a wheel bearing rumbling , which was fixed when I replaced the tyre.

SaffronC70
Friday 12th August 2005, 18:30
oh my god.

You mean the umpteen £££s I've spent changing wheel bearings, drop links and control arms were down to tyres ?!

doh !

Matt, stick your old wheels back on and see what happens !

Chris

MattB
Saturday 13th August 2005, 01:31
oh my god.

You mean the umpteen £££s I've spent changing wheel bearings, drop links and control arms were down to tyres ?!

doh !

Matt, stick your old wheels back on and see what happens !

Chris

Chris...

I'd love to stick the old wheels on, but I've sold them! :nutkick:

oops!

When I fitted th wheels, one of the lock bolts on my old columbas shredded, so ha to take it to a motorsport shack to remove the sheared bolt and supplt / fit a new set of bolts. I asked them to fit the canisto's for me (figured I'd get my money's worth!!!) and they put the Michelins on the front?
I'm off tomorrow, so will swap front to back to see if that helps, failing that, I shall test for the need of spigot ring etc.

Incidently, the canisto's look great - everybody loves them - they were a top purchase mate - many thanks!

I'm sure (or hope??) that this will be a fairly simple problem to sort... :)

SaffronC70
Saturday 13th August 2005, 10:14
I must say, looking at your website, they look the business !

Chris

'95R
Saturday 13th August 2005, 11:13
I'm sure (or hope??) that this will be a fairly simple problem to sort... :)
That is how all problems are :) They are very annoying and you can't figure out the problem, but once you fix the problem you wonder how you missed something sooo simple :D

The wheels do look amazing on your car!

MattB
Saturday 13th August 2005, 11:41
Thanks for your thoughts on the wheels guys!

I must say, looking at your website, they look the business !

Chris

Just had a look at yours, the BBS alloys look great, as does the rest of the car. Which air filter setup are you currently running? Did the 'cut away' version make any improvement? (mines drilled at the mo and figure if any good, I may aswell reove the bottom like yours). Also, has by-passing the backbox made any difference to sound / power? I'd like to make mine a little more 'throatier', but can't afford a stainless set-up just yet!

:B_offtopi

Opps - better get my arse outside and get to the bottom of the wheel rumble, instead of flicking through the mwmber galleries!

:dunce:

SaffronC70
Saturday 13th August 2005, 13:13
I too was after a throatier noise and the Jetex method worked wonders - sounds just like an 850 estate :)

Cut off the bottom of the box ? up to you, I have as it looks tidier.

Chris

MattB
Saturday 13th August 2005, 18:08
Ok, whilst dodging the rain, I have checked the following;

The wheel nuts were all tight.
The tyre treadds are even and plenty of tread left.
Brake caliper is not interfered with (partially compressed or other).
There does not appear to be any play between the wheel and the hub.
The wheels only come in contact with the hub.
There are only a few scuffs on the arch lining where the wheels rub on full lock only.

After carrying out these checks, I swapped the front and back wheels over and took a test drive. I now have Tornados on the front and Michelin Pilot Sport in the rear. The rumble appears to have moved to the rear, could it just be excesive road noise from the Michelins? I'll get the tyres checked and wheels re-balanced next week.

Thanks for your suggestions so far. If you have any others, please let me know. I'll let you know if there is any improvement after re-balancing.