PDA

View Full Version : Poorly S70. Hard starting, cuts out & black smoke!

Disco427
Thursday 29th September 2011, 06:42
I'm in need of help folks.... :(
My 97 t5 has been reliable as clockwork up untill about 8 weeks ago when it developed an erratic idle that went to a misfire that went to a total loss of power and then to a complete stop within about 500 yds accompanied by a god awful smell from the exhaust. First thoughts were either bad fuel, ie diesel or the cat had collapsed. Took me about 15 mins to get it going again and i kangaroo'd the mile back home. Following morning started fine and ran great untill i heard what sounded like "pinking" under load and the cycle started again. Parked up and left it for about 4 hours. Started fine again so got it back home and drained fuel tank. 15 litres of fresh fuel went in and no problems for about 4 days when it started the cycle again. this time it wouldn't restart. left it overnight and it started first turn of the key and ran sweet. Started playing up when fuel level was down to about the 2 gal mark on the gauge so put some in and it was all ok again for about a week when i did a short journey in it and it flatly refused to restart. Left it overnight and it started fine the following morn and ran fine. Ive checked the basics (cap leads and rotor) re-gapped plugs, checked vacuum pipes etc and all seem ok. Gone over all the inlet pipework with easy start while it was running and no rise in engine revs.... Oh, and of course.... no engine management light on on the dash. Anybody got any ideas as this one has me abit stumped. Thanks for looking. Dave.

Dave86
Thursday 29th September 2011, 07:19
Had something similar a few months ago turn out to be 3 ignition coils ( which i don't think you'll have) and the cat was blocked solid. ran fine when cold as soon as it warmed up started loosing power then would just cut out and not restart for ages.

p fandango
Thursday 29th September 2011, 07:48
Had something similar a few months ago turn out to be 3 ignition coils ( which i don't think you'll have) and the cat was blocked solid. ran fine when cold as soon as it warmed up started loosing power then would just cut out and not restart for ages.
your right, being a 1997 it'll be pre-ME7 so single coil & dizzy cap. Black smoke is a over-fuelling issue ie no spark to ignite the fuel

claymore
Thursday 29th September 2011, 07:50
your right, being a 1997 it'll be pre-ME7 so single coil & dizzy cap. Black smoke is a over-fuelling issue ie no spark to ignite the fuel
Might be worth trying to run the car with the maf unpluged, it wont be right but it will at least tell you if thats failed.

M-R-P
Thursday 29th September 2011, 08:29
I'm thinking MAF too. If you can get your codes read, it might throw some light on it, em light won't always come on but a code could still be stored.

Disco427
Friday 30th September 2011, 16:31
Unplugged the MAF and (almost) normal service has been resumed! Yippee!!!
Found a place that supply's just the element for £40 delivered.... Very happy bunny, or i will be once it lands! :)
Thanks to claymore and martin for the shove in the right direction, cheers guys!

Jamest5r
Friday 30th September 2011, 19:52
Ive got a maf here that came off an 850 if they are the same? £25 posted :)

Disco427
Tuesday 4th October 2011, 08:15
Update time.

Fitted the new MAF sensor and all's well. :)
Thanks for the offer James but the new one is only £40 with 12 months warranty! Can't grumble at that price really....

T5n00b
Thursday 27th October 2011, 17:25
where was that element from?? might need it too or for ref.