PDA

View Full Version : It's dropped a valve - RIP

GreenMachine
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 16:47
Posted earlier about broken spark plug, compression test etc shows dropped valve - (gutted)

2000W T5

So what's the best way forward,

Head off and etc.......................?

Change the engine for known good one?

Ebay - spares repair slight misfire?

happy to hear anyone's thoughts

Many thanks

claymore
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 16:52
If the piston is ok, just change the head.

GreenMachine
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 23:00
Bump,

So I've just spent the last hour or so searching the net to see if this is a common problem and can't find another similar problem.

What could get into the cylinder to break the spark plug? the only thing I can think of is dirt, if the turbo was on the way out bits would get stuck in the intercooler

Anyone else got any other ideas?

Many Thanks

Mark V70 T5
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 23:06
has a bit broken off of the sparkplug that has then got trapped in the gap!! and been rammed up against an open valve and bent it!!!

Mark V70 T5
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 23:09
your spark plug looks a bit nackered!! and a funny colour! how old was it? how many miles?

GreenMachine
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 23:14
has a bit broken off of the sparkplug that has then got trapped in the gap!! and been rammed up against an open valve and bent it!!!

Hi Mark, might have done, the ceramic on the spark plug is broken and about 5mm has gone missing, but from what I understand so far this is the result of something getting into the cylinder which broke the spark plug, at tick over now with a replacement plug the car fluffs a bit, it misfires badly at 1500rpm but pulls fine upto 6k, theres no extra noise, no missing oil or water. So like you I'm thinking there maybe a bit trapped in the valve - it might not have bent the valve even?

GreenMachine
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 16:10
your spark plug looks a bit nackered!! and a funny colour! how old was it? how many miles?

Relief!!!!

Mark I think you hit the nail on the head,

Well I was sure that the plugs hadn't done more than 20k or so but now I've had time to fully investigate I think I've been extremely lucky. Yes it was the plugs. One plug - no4 was loose when I changed them all and no1 was the bent one with the ceramic missing - the initial diagnosis of something getting through the inta-cooler may not be right and I can't see why I got such a low compression reading last week, guess I wasn't doing things right!

So new set of plugs and 100miles done she's running like a sewing machine, so I'm thanking my lucky stars and wonder whether the bits will fall out of the exhaust one day or have I already cracked someone's windscreen!

And 850 got a new set as well just in case, and both got new oil filler seals!

Think I'm off the buy a couple of cam belts next week.

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 16:20
Good news mate! :)