PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging my T5

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 11:08
I am looking at removing the turbo and Supercharging the T5 engine in my Autograss car, has anybody done this ??

Any advice will be much appreciated.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/SN2409A0409.jpg[/IMG]

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 11:13
that look sooo much fun paul...bet you stuggle to keep the front wheels down lol

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 11:25
that look sooo much fun paul...bet you stuggle to keep the front wheels down lol

oh it is mate, I nearly flipped it over backwards on Sunday but as usual nobody got THAT picture, but they did get this one from the end of the day !!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/EA2509J1725.jpg

Jamest5r
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 11:37
Claymore is the one to ask

Murphy
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 11:54
Are there any vids of this?

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 11:59
Are there any vids of this?

there are plenty on youtube, just type in Autograss.

Also there are some onboard videos on my website.

p fandango
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 12:33
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn52/HASS08/EA2509J1725.jpg
i think your trackings out?

i've seen a supercharger added to a NA car on Volvospeed, put the charger in place of the power steering pump if i remember right. I'll have a look for a link later

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 12:45
Thanks Pedro, I am not running the power steering pump but would be running the supercharger off the bottom pulley, where at the moment we only have a belt for a small alternator.

p fandango
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 14:15
Thanks Pedro, I am not running the power steering pump but would be running the supercharger off the bottom pulley, where at the moment we only have a belt for a small alternator.
i've gone to an electric PAS pump, can i ask what belt your using & are you using any sort of tensioner, i'm thinking of literaly going round the crank pulley then straight onto the alternator with no tensioner so just a case of finding the right length belt

claymore
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 14:47
can I ask why you want to swap to a supercharger?

Faulty Slayer
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 15:47
can I ask why you want to swap to a supercharger?

Thats funny coming from the guy with a 20 page thread on VS about this :P

claymore
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 15:51
Ahh, but Paul is talking about removing the turbo and replacing it with a supercharger, just not sure what the thinking behind this is.

Faulty Slayer
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 16:01
If autograss is like short track he probably wants to shift the power band down? What about running ALS instead?

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 20:13
i've gone to an electric PAS pump, can i ask what belt your using & are you using any sort of tensioner, i'm thinking of literaly going round the crank pulley then straight onto the alternator with no tensioner so just a case of finding the right length belt

I am using a tiny kubuta mini digger alternator mounted off the chassis so I dont think I can help you with belt lengths.

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 20:20
Ahh, but Paul is talking about removing the turbo and replacing it with a supercharger, just not sure what the thinking behind this is.

The problem is that I have fairly good power and torque but it isnt usable for our application, I need to be able to feather the throttle to keep the car drifting around the corners then be on and off the throttle when in race traffic.

The supercharger should give me bags of usable boost from 0-maximum revs....I hope !!

claymore
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 20:23
The problem is that I have fairly good power and torque but it isnt usable for our application, I need to be able to feather the throttle to keep the car drifting around the corners then be on and off the throttle when in race traffic.

The supercharger should give me bags of usable boost from 0-maximum revs....I hope !!
Use both :) or use something like an Eaton M62 that should give you about the same power as your getting now, but with a nice linear power curve

Paul Hassell
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 20:36
The Eaton was what I was thinking off as I have a mate using a Cooper S unit on his Zetec and getting good power figures with a superb torque curve.

I know the Cooper S unit is the M45, but what is the M62 fitted too ??

the other option I have been recommended is the Mercedes Kompressor unit.

claymore
Thursday 29th September 2011, 07:04
the small mercedes engines use the m42 (as I am using0 but if your not keeping the turbo, then you will need the m62 off the biger mercedes engins.

p fandango
Thursday 29th September 2011, 07:58
i can't help but think M62 & 19t :)

claymore
Thursday 29th September 2011, 08:14
If paul is thinking of compound charge I don't think a 19t will provide enough air to an M62, I'm upgrading my turbo to a Garret t38 equivelant turbo to give me about 30psi boost still using the m42.

Paul Hassell
Thursday 29th September 2011, 15:41
the small mercedes engines use the m42 (as I am using0 but if your not keeping the turbo, then you will need the m62 off the biger mercedes engins.

Thanks very much, looks like I need an M62 then.

there are a couple on Ebay so when I have repaired the damage from Sunday I will get one purchased.

Paul Hassell
Thursday 20th October 2011, 10:33

Do you know anything about the Eaton M112 from the Jaguar, they seem to have a long snout which would mean it would mount nicely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJR-XKR-S-Type-R-EATON-M112-SUPERCHARGER-/270837200792?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0f27b798#ht_2444wt_952

claymore
Thursday 20th October 2011, 18:14
Do you know anything about the Eaton M112 from the Jaguar, they seem to have a long snout which would mean it would mount nicely.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJR-XKR-S-Type-R-EATON-M112-SUPERCHARGER-/270837200792?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0f27b798#ht_2444wt_952

I think it would be to big for a 2.3, you wouldnt get it into it's 'sweet spot'

Minordelay
Friday 21st October 2011, 18:19
Hi Paul

I've spoken to Steve Walford today who's help and expertise I'm building my race car. He's had experience of superchargers from 3.8 Pontiacs from the states. He recently setup a vr6 class 7 which was putting out 100bhp @ 1000rpm. They come in quite cheap too off USA Ebay.

Thinking off going this route myself now to avoid bulkhead issues. What exhaust manifold was you thinking of using?

Nigel

Paul Hassell
Friday 21st October 2011, 18:27
Hi Paul

I've spoken to Steve Walford today who's help and expertise I'm building my race car. He's had experience of superchargers from 3.8 Pontiacs from the states. He recently setup a vr6 class 7 which was putting out 100bhp @ 1000rpm. They come in quite cheap too off USA Ebay.

Thinking off going this route myself now to avoid bulkhead issues. What exhaust manifold was you thinking of using?

Nigel

Not exactly sure of exhaust manifold yet but possibly something like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310239134685?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_986wt_952

Alan M
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 17:16
That manifold should be fine to use Paul if you ditch the turbo. If I can find them on the other laptop I'll pull all the flow maps I have for the M series Superchargers. There are quite a few though so i may need to post you them if I can get the computer working. The blue screen of death appeared on it the last time I used it but I think the items are in the other partition on the drive which I am hoping I can get at.

Paul Hassell
Saturday 22nd October 2011, 19:29
[QUOTE=Alan M;418011]That manifold should be fine to use Paul if you ditch the turbo. If I can find them on the other laptop I'll pull all the flow maps I have for the M series Superchargers. There are quite a few though so i may need to post you them if I can get the computer working. The blue screen of death appeared on it the last time I used it but I think the items are in the other partition on the drive which I am hoping I can get at.[/QUOTE=Alan M;418011]

Thank you, that would make very interesting reading if you can find it Alan, I think the M62 is looking favourite at the moment.

Minordelay
Monday 24th October 2011, 09:35
Hi Paul

I checked and the pontiac blower is an M90. Would be interesting to compare the specs.

Nigel