PDA

View Full Version : Bloomin Hell Cracks Galore!!!

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 20:14

This is what came of my 850 t5, After hours and hours of trying to find the cause of Massive Boost leak!

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 20:15
At one point the cracks are close to going all the through to the outside of the housing!

Think i may have saved my Engine!!

Jim S70R
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 20:32
Bloody hell lucky you found them when you did.

dalhousie2008
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 20:37
Looks well had it, can use change exhaust housing? Or is it a new turbo

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 20:40
Looks well had it, can use change exhaust housing? Or is it a new turbo

Front half of turbo survived JUST, No had to change the to later Front pipe cat ph2 850 1995 - as this one above is totally different Conicol Shape with loose flange fitment.

AndysR
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 21:15
The end of an era and the start of an enjoyable ride! Looks like you've defeated your arch nemesis!

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 21:51
Cant belive even with servere cracks like that how quick she was! although she had been poping through the exhaust and mpg had also been a little down.

Hell i cant wait to get her back up and running lol

shrekblackR
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 21:56
Sooo glad you sorted buddy , think I need to look at mine pal

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 22:11
Cant belive even with servere cracks like that how quick she was! although she had been poping through the exhaust and mpg had also been a little down.

Hell i cant wait to get her back up and running lol

oh dear!! youve just described my car down to a T,ive been losing alot of boost just lately and also mpg ive checked for pipes vacuums etc etc ordered some nice silicone replacements and still the same........looks like im taking my turbo off the weekend :parhmph:

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 22:14
oh dear!! youve just described my car down to a T,ive been losing alot of boost just lately and also mpg ive checked for pipes vacuums etc etc ordered some nice silicone replacements and still the same........looks like im taking my turbo off the weekend :parhmph:

I found it easer seperating the 2 half's 1st, then with the front part out of the way you can get at the housing studs to manifold without stripping or rounding off anything.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 22:17
I found it easer seperating the 2 half's 1st, then with the front part out of the way you can get at the housing studs to manifold without stripping or rounding off anything.
The best way, especially if you have an AWD!

Just have to watch you don't bend any of the exhaust turbine blades whilst removing the CHRA.

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 22:40
i know it sounds silly but im kind of hoping i see some damage coz then i can get it sorted but if looks ok then im all out of ideas,same as you really,it does get frustrating when you cant see no light at the end of the tunnel.......but it feels good when you come through the other side :)

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 22:50
If you

Check or blank recirc,
Check replace vac lines,
Check intercooler, (Difficult)
Check adjust wastegate,
Decent MBC
PCV
Inlet Manifold Gasket, and elbow's etc

Surly there cant be that much left. although doesnt a Brake servo hose also cause a problem if that leaks?? lol doh!

If mine isnt cured i'm going intercooler next, although it's obvious my turbo is knackered lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 23:12
Holy ££££ on a stick! that is a problem! and there I was telling you to look for pin holes in your intercooler! Glad you found out what was giving you all that jip. Now's the time to find-out just how big a turbo you can fit on the big beastie ;)

merc85
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 23:35
It's not fix'd buddy until she back together with NO boost leaks lol! you may be right yet.

BUT i'm so gald i checked that turbo out bit's of metal flying into your engine cant be great.

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 23:40
On the upside, the cracks were on the hot side of the turbo so if it had shattered, most of the damage would have been to the spindle and the exhaust rather than the turbo sucking bits of metal into the engine!
Buy yourself a lotto ticket this week, it seems your luck's in! lol ;)

merc85
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 00:06
On the upside, the cracks were on the hot side of the turbo so if it had shattered, most of the damage would have been to the spindle and the exhaust rather than the turbo sucking bits of metal into the engine!
Buy yourself a lotto ticket this week, it seems your luck's in! lol ;)

I may just do that pmsl