PDA

View Full Version : Auto oil colour?

dalhousie2008
Monday 26th September 2011, 19:16
Hi all just checked my auto trans oil, it's not burnt or looking horrible, it's just normal oil colour.

I have ordered but awaiting to arrive some jws3309 mobil fluid, my question is, is it the wrong oil in there?

Previous owner had the auto transmission switch done, apparently as it's a common problem on these, maybe the oil was changed at same time, although it's not in the service history receipt.

I also have read the wrong oil can roger the gearbox.

Any how any feedback appreciated.

Volvostorm
Monday 26th September 2011, 19:56
The oil should be cherry pink when new, slightly brown means it needs changing, black, its burnt, and you have a problem!

AndysR
Monday 26th September 2011, 19:59
If the PNP switch, the common problem part, has been replaced as that sits on the top of the box there is no need to drain, refill or replace the oil when renewing it. The autobox oil is as said red in colour when new and discolours over time with age. If it goes brown it needs to be changed and if it is black that's definately not good news and usually a sign of something expensive.

dalhousie2008
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:10
Cool thanks guys as mine is brown like lighty used engine oil I'll give it a change

AndysR
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:12
Cool thanks guys as mine is brown like lighty used engine oil I'll give it a change

Sounds like a good idea, I very much doubt it's at a stage where it will cause any damage but preventative maintainence is the best form of maintainence.