PDA

View Full Version : S40 ariel mast fitting

yorkshire R
Monday 26th September 2011, 14:16
has anyone ever just fitted a mast to an electric ariel?? iv just been quoted £150 fitted for a new full electric ariel and can get just a geniene volvo mast for £35 off ebay

Al115
Monday 26th September 2011, 14:19
Yeah and it's a cinch.

Aerial mast is basically the metal bit plus a plastic drive strip that coils up into the motor.

I think the way I did it was - rip the old one out (can't remember how - maybe keep pulling it while it is rising) and then feed the old one in, and turn the radio off so it gets drawn in by the motor. Or something.

Dick around with it for a bit and you'll work it out :)

yorkshire R
Monday 26th September 2011, 14:25
did you buy a genuine volvo mast al?

martybelfastt5
Monday 26th September 2011, 14:42
i bought a copy one off the bay good quality and came with instructions took 5 minutes

Al115
Monday 26th September 2011, 15:54
did you buy a genuine volvo mast al?

Can't remember actually!

yorkshire R
Monday 26th September 2011, 16:23
iv just orderd one off ebay and knowing my luck it wont be easy!

martybelfastt5
Monday 26th September 2011, 16:36
mate if they are the same as the 850/s70 its a sinch, remove the thinks its 17 nut on mast base have someone switch on you radio mast extends or push/pull it and it should feed out completely ,keep an eye on the white teeth for direction...feed new mast in until you feel contact with teeth and wheel inside the arieal ,have someone switch off your radio and push the white teeth down should catch the teeth and pulll the mast into position. replace the nut which stops the mast extending too much and your done, the tricky bit is losening the sliding callor on the mast give the new one a good looking over and fimilarise your self with how it sits ect,,

yorkshire R
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 16:35
thanks for the advice guys,the last bit of the ariel was a bugger to get off as it was snaped stuck down in the tube but i got that up eventually!! i got the mole grips out and a few yanks later the last bit of the ariel came out,2 mins later with a bit of button pushing from my Dad it was done.the replacement mast was much better quality that the one was on it and it was £12.30 deliverd. thanks again guys.