PDA

View Full Version : New Turbo = Slower Car

k690bpp
Thursday 11th August 2005, 23:28
i've had a new turbo fitted as the old one was buggered, its the exact same model as the old one (16t) but the car seems to be running alot slower.

would a badly adjusted actuator cause this??? i assume it would of been adjusted beforehand but just in case it hasn't been done properly i'm going to check it my self but i need to know what pressure it should be set too, any ideas???

vadis says 30kpa (approx 4.5psi) but this seems alittle low.

thanks.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 11th August 2005, 23:32
It is not true - even the new ones out of the box from Volvo need checking and setting up first. 4.5psi is indeed the factory setting. The whole point of running on lower boost (not actual turbo pressure) is that it is easier for the ECU to control/fine tune when it comes to making the wastegate move (via the BCS)

volvotuning
Thursday 11th August 2005, 23:47
4.5 psi is about right for that turbo. Is it a new turbo? Assuming the turbo is good, is everything else connected properly?

Adam.

madness
Friday 12th August 2005, 08:35
we very often see this happening. The old unit can be overboosting when it is about to go givivng a bit better performance and when the new unit goes on performance goes back to normal.
assuming as everybody else said everything on the car is running ok.

k690bpp
Friday 12th August 2005, 19:14
we very often see this happening. The old unit can be overboosting when it is about to go givivng a bit better performance and when the new unit goes on performance goes back to normal.
assuming as everybody else said everything on the car is running ok.

the new one was put on to stop the car smoking but its still doing it and infact there was nothing wrong with the old turbo, the problem lies elsewhere. its booked in to be further diagnosed next week.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 12th August 2005, 22:49
the new one was put on to stop the car smoking but its still doing it and infact there was nothing wrong with the old turbo, the problem lies elsewhere. its booked in to be further diagnosed next week.Are u taking it to VolvoTuning then ? You cud upgrade yer Monroes too if you do.

k690bpp
Saturday 13th August 2005, 00:36
Are u taking it to VolvoTuning then ? You cud upgrade yer Monroes too if you do.

yep i am but i've already done the monroes and eibachs, my brother and me did them last weekend ourselves in 3 hours - very easy and straight forward job.

i would go back to sw autos (they fitted the new turbo) as they are very, very good but stuart won't be in for a while due to family sickness and i really can't have it smoking until he does.

i'm really going to vt to have the hybrid upgrade done, if adam can stop it smoking first...fingers crossed.

Al115
Monday 15th August 2005, 19:35
Who diagnosed the turbo as causing the smoking? Are they going to stand you the cost of the replacement?!? It's a bloody expensive bit of kit to replace and then find it's not the problem!

k690bpp
Monday 15th August 2005, 19:51
the car first went to my local dealer who said it was 50-50 the stem seals or the turbo, i went with turbo and it was replaced under warranty by stuart@sw autos and cost me nothing.

unfortunately its still smoking and so i'm going to see adam@vt mainly to sort of a hybrid upgrade but first he'll have to sort the smoking.

i did have a compression test done and these were the results:

cylinder 1: 13bar
cylinder 2: 13bar
cylinder 3: 12bar
cylinder 4: 13bar
cylinder 5: 13bar

now i know what your thinking is that it must be cylinder 3 thats bad but according to vadis a reading of between 11-13 bar is ok and a difference of 2 bar between cylinders is fine.

so it seems as though the compression is ok, any other ideas???

Al115
Monday 15th August 2005, 19:56
Interesting... those compressions seem fine to me. Any ideas chaps?

k690bpp
Monday 15th August 2005, 20:07
evap canister???

Rooster
Monday 15th August 2005, 23:30
Or an inticooler still full of oil from old turbo

splatt
Monday 15th August 2005, 23:34
Or an inticooler still full of oil from old turbo
most likely IMO. had this on a previous car...

k690bpp
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 17:36
does it have a drain hole in the bottom???

Justin
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 19:52
Yeah they all do

Al115
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 20:35
Although worth checking because some seem to collect self-tapping screws! I suppose that's OK if you are 100% sure that your turbo isn't passing any oil...

spesh
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 20:51
Dont sound like the valve stem oil seals as it will only smoke on start up for a few secs, are the turbo's brand spanking new or new recons? There is the unliky chance of a duff one maybe? If it was only under hard driving piston wash would be another idea!

k690bpp
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 21:09
Yeah they all do

where and how do i drain it???

Dont sound like the valve stem oil seals as it will only smoke on start up for a few secs, are the turbo's brand spanking new or new recons? There is the unliky chance of a duff one maybe? If it was only under hard driving piston wash would be another idea!

it doesn't smoke at all on cold/hot starts or while idling but only if left idling for around 5 mins then revved. the turbo was a brand new volvo 16t (not recon) and it was fitted very carefully by a trustworthy mechanic so i don't think the problem lies there but like you say there could be a unlikely chance. very unlikely because i saw the old turbo after it was taken off and the exhaust side showed no sign of oil but the inlet side was very slightly covered in oil but nothing abnormal.

there no smoke while driving at all, even when in looney mode. :B_steerin

btw whats piston wash???

spesh
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 21:25
Sound like the oil breathing system, have you giving it a once over??
Piston wash, when to much fuel is injected it seeps past the rings and slowly breaks down the tight seal that stops oil from passing the rings, therfore oil seeps past the rings, but still holds good compression. Well in a nut shell

k690bpp
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 22:34
Sound like the oil breathing system, have you giving it a once over??
Piston wash, when to much fuel is injected it seeps past the rings and slowly breaks down the tight seal that stops oil from passing the rings, therfore oil seeps past the rings, but still holds good compression. Well in a nut shell

when the dealer looked at it they said it was breathing fine :dunce: but what can i do myself to check the system???

i did pull out the oil dip stick and took the oil cap off after a long run and no smoke came out of either hole.

how likely is piston wash???

thanks.

spesh
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 14:12
Check there are no kinks or splits in the pipe work, check everthing is connected (unlike my car along time ago) could pull the pipes off check they aint full of ££££, could pull the spark plugs out and see if they are black thats one of the signs of piston wash, but i dont think it would be that.

k690bpp
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 16:35
Check there are no kinks or splits in the pipe work, check everthing is connected (unlike my car along time ago) could pull the pipes off check they aint full of ££££, could pull the spark plugs out and see if they are black thats one of the signs of piston wash, but i dont think it would be that.

pipework is fine and i've blown down the ones i could get my mouth on and they flowed ok (doesn't taste very nice though). the spark plugs came out when the compression test was done and they were all ok, no sign of oil or any fouling at all...strange.

thanks.

k690bpp
Thursday 18th August 2005, 18:11
vt did a leak down test today and it also shows nothings wrong with the engine itself. while i was there it went on the rollers and made 246bhp (whp) so shows the car is running fine.

its still smoking though but i've been reliably informed by hamish its probably the oil trap so its being replaced along with its associated pipework.

nice to meet lance and vikingt5 while i was there both have very nice t5's, nice c70 too dave. btw what did you get on the rollers lance???

lance
Thursday 18th August 2005, 18:38
Just 230 bhp at the wheels but a bit more torque than last time 305 lbft at the wheels. I know my cats knackered (Im hoping thats whats causing slight power deficite), turbo maybe not as good as hoped for after cheap refurb ,or just general mechanical wear n tear at 148k, Not planing on making her any faster though as she seems more than adequate on the road, I might get her cleaned up and looking a bit fresher for now!

volvotuning
Thursday 18th August 2005, 19:05
Lance, it definately appears that something is wrong with your car because even with the actuator pipe disconnected and the turbo running with no control at all, the turbo still wasn't able to hold enough boost. If it ain't the turbo, it may well be the cat.

Adam.

nobananas
Thursday 18th August 2005, 22:44
Just seen this thread, A few weeks ago I left my 855 idling for about 20 mins whilst I washed it. When I went to park it it smoked like hell ! Went in, had coffee, re-started it and it was fine. I have since removed the incident from my ' things to worry about' part of my brain but after reading this thread it has returned to the top of the list, cheers guys :slap:

lance
Friday 19th August 2005, 10:03
Lance, it definately appears that something is wrong with your car because even with the actuator pipe disconnected and the turbo running with no control at all, the turbo still wasn't able to hold enough boost. If it ain't the turbo, it may well be the cat.

Adam.

Car is running ok though, noticed the extra LBFT lot better response from say 70 mph in 5th, still much much better than a standard T5,
Will probably replace the cat in january when the mots due, fingers crossed its the cat as its been intermitantly rattling at tickover since May.

p fandango
Friday 19th August 2005, 14:32
if you do replace the cat Lance DON'T buy one from Unipart, it only lasted 3 months before it started rattlng like the old one

k690bpp
Friday 19th August 2005, 18:28
Just seen this thread, A few weeks ago I left my 855 idling for about 20 mins whilst I washed it. When I went to park it it smoked like hell ! Went in, had coffee, re-started it and it was fine. I have since removed the incident from my ' things to worry about' part of my brain but after reading this thread it has returned to the top of the list, cheers guys :slap:

get a leak down test done or at least a compression test to rule out engine wear and if that all checks out then check the turbo is ok, don't really know how to do this as i just replaced mine instead. :slap:

we now suspect a blocked oil trap and i'm having it replaced a.s.a.p, hopefully it'll sort it. :scared:

k690bpp
Saturday 27th August 2005, 20:16
the oil trap and all its associated pipework was replaced yesterday and guess what ITS STILL SMOKING!!! :pants:

the only thing it could be now is something majorly wrong with the engine itself, i'm giving it in to the dealer one last time and getting them to give me definite answer on what it is - no more guessing!!! :mad:

i'll keep you posted.

btw if worst came to the worst and i had to get rid of it as a part ex for something else would anyone here be interested in buying the modified parts i've put on it, as a dealer probably wouldn't give me any extra for them.

this would be the ap brakes, 2003 c70 crystal headlamps, 2003 c70 indicators, 2003 c70 eggcrate grill, xenons, 18" graphite pegs, eibachs, monroes, strut brace and rica'd ecu.

i would need back the original parts so i could put them back on mine except the springs and shocks as i've still got my old ones. remember i would only do this as a last ditch resort so don't start haggling just yet. :haha:

lance
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 12:05
Shame your car seemed top notch to me. Defo in terms of power! Might be worth having a good engine flush before changing the oil .
Good luck!

k690bpp
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 18:01
the oil's been changed 4 times in the last 6 weeks so i would assume its pretty flushed out, thanks for the advice anyway.

my local main stealers having a look at it tomorrow and i'm not leaving until they tell me whats wrong with it...no more maybe this or maybe that. :rant:

k690bpp
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 18:08
main dealer had a look today and they say its the stem seals and they want £1500 to sort them out, the worst thing is the stem seals are not covered by my warranty. :wtf:

i think the best option now is to find a low mileage used engine and slot it in, any suggestions where to find one.

i need a b5234t3 (pre fly-by-wire and vvt) with around 70k miles on it or less, i've tried the regular places ebay, braydon, salvo, lee valley and they do have b5234t3's but they're all vvt and me7. :pants:

btw i'm not a great fan of main dealers but i have to say how well i was treated at barkingside volvo especially by the tech phill (drives a very nice black s70r) and nick in service. :remybussi

siamblue
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 19:12
Hi Kbp sorry to hear of your troubles, But first i want to ask why was a 16t fitted, Do you not have a S70R ?
I did a compression check on mine a few months ago and mine was reading 15-16 psi on all bores, which surprised the hell out of me as mine has done over 144k miles now,
Stems seals would be a major pain to do as the head has to come off,
I hope you get it sorted real soon as it is one hell of a nice car you have there.
Braydons are a top bunch of guys and their labour charges half the price of Volvo, at 35 GB pounds per hour,
Catch you soon Gary.

k690bpp
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 21:23
gary mines an auto s70r and so has a 16t, its the manual that has a 18t. basically mines the same as a v70 or s70 t5 which also run 16t turbos.

i agree stem seals are an arse to do thats probably why volvo want £1500. i'm going to see stuart@sw autos on friday for his expert opinion so hopefully it'll be good news. :worship:

i do really want to keep the car but if it costs me anything over £1k to mend its going to have to go, it'll just be a bad investment to have to spend much more than that. i'll take all the modded parts off so maybe you'll be able to grab yourself a bargain...ap's would look good on yours. :)

and i second that braydon are good as i've used them before.

volvotuning
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 21:50
Gurjit,

Hamish said to me it could the stem seals, but thought it unlikely due to the mileage of the car.

Adam.

spesh
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 22:01
I got a 1996 850 head spare, can't see why it wont fit yours, my 1994 head is on a S60 2001 bottom end, just an idea. :B_blite:

k690bpp
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 22:41
Hamish said to me it could the stem seals, but thought it unlikely due to the mileage of the car.

thats what he told me the day i came to see you too and stuart has said he's never had to fix stem seals ever either.

I got a 1996 850 head spare, can't see why it wont fit yours, my 1994 head is on a S60 2001 bottom end, just an idea.

thanks, i'll keep it in mind.

siamblue
Thursday 1st September 2005, 18:33
You learn something everyday huh wonder why the 16t on a auto? unless the box couldn't take it?
Mrs won't let me buy anything for the car from now on, Looks like we are moving to Thailand next year as she has had a offer of employment and myself too,
So i am afraid my car will be going too ;(
Just wondering if you have a scored bore or scraper ring broken will be interesting for us lot to find out and i really hope it doesn't cost you too much as you have one beauty of a car there :)

Gary

k690bpp
Saturday 3rd September 2005, 15:12
at last i've finally found out what the problem with my car is and its not good, i've got a dodgey ring...oooerrr missus. a big thank you to stuart at sw autos for diagnosing my car as it should of been from the start of this problem 6 weeks ago, if anyone here has a problem with there car don't bother with dealers or back street garages speak to stuart and get the car fixed right 1st time.

anyway i'm not going to bother fixing it so i'm just going to get rid of the car but before i do i need to standardize it, this mean taking off the rica ecu, strut brace, monroe reflex shocks, eibach springs, ap brakes, peg alloys, complete 2003 c70 front end including crystal headlights with xenons, crystal indicators and bluebadge eggcrate grill.

heres what i want for the stuff (prices include delivery):

(4)eibach springs (8418.140) - £100 (these have only been on the car for about a month) - same as the ones vt use for there suspension upgrades!!!

(4)monroes reflex shocks (E4499-E1042) - £200 (these have only been on the car for about a month) - same as the ones vt use for there suspension upgrades!!!

genuine volvo strut brace (9204248) - £40 (in silver and in great conditon).

the items above are ready for sale as i have the old parts to put back on but for the following stuff i would need your parts first and do a swap plus some money, prices shown below:

itg filter & 310bhp rica'd ecu (bosch part no 0261204449) - £350 + your ecu which must be the exact same pno (my car made 246bhp@wheels with the ecu and filter on vt's dyno!!!)

i'll let you know about the other stuff soon.

all the items are off a '98 s70r auto but they should also fit fine on any other s70 model along with c70's, 850's and p1 v70's but please check that they will first.

its all gotta go by next saturday if not its staying on the car which is being part ex'd, i'll just have to bite my tongue and take it like a man.

email: k690bpp@sinax.co.uk

thanks.

MattB
Tuesday 6th September 2005, 20:02
i did pull out the oil dip stick and took the oil cap off after a long run and no smoke came out of either hole.

After a fairly long run (and letting the car cool for a bit), if I remove the oil cap, a very small amount of smoke can be seen.

Is this anything to be concerned about?