PDA

View Full Version : revs go up

ikp_77
Sunday 25th September 2011, 21:54
when i change gear ie dip the clutch the revs go up a little they do not drop of as soon as clutch is dipped to change gear any idea thanks

volvo
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:03
do they go up or just 'hang' there? I think its qute normal, i was abit para about that too when i got my first 850 but e few guys here confirmed after driving it, thats it was fine....

Sometime, an air leak can cause strange behaviur with the revs too....

t5 stealth
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:05
as volvo says.........air leak .
check next to the power steering resoviour.on the side of the inlet manifold...
small elbow vac hose......
and the vac tree under the plastic cover that covers the throttle linkage

ikp_77
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:13
i have checked for a vac leak nothing there the revs go up and hang around a bit could it the clutch when i rev the car revs go up and down fine but hang around the 1000 rpm then drop under

t5 stealth
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:14
i have checked for a vac leak nothing there the revs go up and hang around a bit could it the clutch when i rev the car revs go up and down fine but hang around the 1000 rpm then drop under

give the idle valve a clean out

merc85
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:18
MIne does this too, just living with it at the moment, Checked the above leak area's nowt.

And also cleaned the idle control valve out but made no difference, change tps sensor and done the throttle body clean. doh.

volvo
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:25
to be honest....mine did exactly that at about 1000rpm and then would drop off a little back to normal idle. I cleaned the ICV, cleaned out the PTC nipple, also cleaned out the throttle body and generally gave it a good looking over all the pipes....they do go brittle with age, if you just give them a very slight tug at the ends to ensure a firm connection, might be a good starting point.......

ikp_77
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:36
ok i will give said items a clean see if this helps chears

volvo
Sunday 25th September 2011, 22:43
no worries...good luck!

oh, and be careful when removing the PTC nipple from the housing....its probably been in there years and well stuck in! You may get tempted (depending on how much patience you have!) to yank it out but they can get damaged...