PDA

View Full Version : 855 Estate Rear Load cover - repairable??

woz
Sunday 25th September 2011, 13:32
Yup apparently a standard fault - the ends break off inside the end covers and the springs have nothing to "bite" against - result floppy cover and no retractability.

Clearly a prevoius owned of my pre-loved ebay special purchase had effected a repair as one end had been araldited inside the casing. I wonder if anyone has experience of dismantling the ends and making a more permanant repair?

Any advice / pics/ linkys welcome. I am hoping to get the tools out and dismantle on the kitchen table, but it will help if Mrs W thinks it looks like I know what I'm doing.

Cheers

Woz

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 25th September 2011, 14:05
I have repaired mine, I fabricated new ends for the spring out of a small piece of sheet metal and some steel tube. I welded the thing together and screwed it into the plastic ends.

I'll see if I can get some pics of it

woz
Sunday 25th September 2011, 17:46
I have repaired mine, I fabricated new ends for the spring out of a small piece of sheet metal and some steel tube. I welded the thing together and screwed it into the plastic ends.

I'll see if I can get some pics of it

Excellent thanks! If you can that would be brill, if not even a quick sketch would help.

Cheers
W:>)