PDA

View Full Version : Another MBC question

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:06
Another mbc question chaps..
so fitted my 304 or what ever ECU of Niles the other day, i run a MBC also...all has been going well until today..
thought to myself..Niles said he could run 15 to 20psi boost so why cant i..
so cranked a few clicks on the MBC - 12 psi still..thought ok, few more..12 psi..thought sod it..turned it a full turn..still 12 psi...
so turned it so it woudnt go no more..still 12 psi...thought i will turn it down to nothing..STILL 12 PSI!
so knackered MBC? or something else?
should i plug the standard one back in or just buy a new MBC?
Thanks chaps

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:09
What make MBC you running?

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:09
Another mbc question chaps..
so fitted my 304 or what ever ECU of Niles the other day, i run a MBC also...all has been going well until today..
thought to myself..Niles said he could run 15 to 20psi boost so why cant i..
so cranked a few clicks on the MBC - 12 psi still..thought ok, few more..12 psi..thought sod it..turned it a full turn..still 12 psi...
so turned it so it woudnt go no more..still 12 psi...thought i will turn it down to nothing..STILL 12 PSI!
so knackered MBC? or something else?
should i plug the standard one back in or just buy a new MBC?
Thanks chaps

What boost is it running without the mbc?

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:19
It was a cheap one from ebay :-( , its lasted about 3 months though! lol
Running it with out the MBC? what with the old fitted again or with nothing fitted?

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:27
It was a cheap one from ebay :-( , its lasted about 3 months though! lol
Running it with out the MBC? what with the old fitted again or with nothing fitted?

With no mbc, so just with the 304 ecu.

My car should be running about 17psi on its 304 ecu, but is only managing 10-11psi, when i put an mbc on it went up to 13psi, but no matter how much more i turned it, it wouldn't go any higher.

nottsgreent5
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:32
Mite be worth cheaking the tightness of the acctuator mine was the same till it was tightend a little

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:32

My car should be running about 17psi on its 304 ecu, but is only managing 10-11psi, when i put an mbc on it went up to 13psi, but no matter how much more i turned it, it wouldn't go any higher.

I know (Merc85) was saying the other day that he fitted his MBC and he adjusted it to full and could only get 15psi so he fitted the other spring that cam with it and now he can adjust it to what he wants. That was a forge unos mbc.

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:38
Mite be worth cheaking the tightness of the acctuator mine was the same till it was tightend a little

Mine is tight, but have another to try soon.

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:40

Yeah i havnt checked this yet but its been running 14 psi ish up to yesterday when it seamed to stick to 12 ish...so guessing the mbc to blame..

Liam- do you mean plumb the old boost control in or were the pipes come together for the mbc just connect them together so no boost controller fitted at all?

ta

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:47
Yeah i havnt checked this yet but its been running 14 psi ish up to yesterday when it seamed to stick to 12 ish...so guessing the mbc to blame..

Liam- do you mean plumb the old boost control in or were the pipes come together for the mbc just connect them together so no boost controller fitted at all?

ta

Remove the mbc and just fit the standard bcs, so the only thing that should be effecting the boost should be the remap and however tight the actuator is.

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:48
rite job for when the kids go to bed then...will report back about 8 ish..bent rods or not lol
THANK YOU ALL!!!!

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 19:03
You get to it quicker than me.

Did my dizzy cap today, no difference (dissapointing considering how bad the old cap and rotor arm was), tomorrow will be a different bcs, then (when i can be arsed) the actuator.

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 24th September 2011, 21:25
slow of the mark and 10psi was the result...so going to give it a good run tomorrow and double check...yellow is the wastegate isnt it? red the pipe to the turbo?

Niles
Saturday 24th September 2011, 21:30
the ecu was easily pushing 17-18psi from the car the ecu came from. The car was running no MBC, the BCS was happy & so was the ecu. Sounds like a boost leak to me mate.

T5frankie
Saturday 24th September 2011, 21:59

liam where did you get that information? your car wont boost to 17 psi with an off the shelf map lol no where near

M-R-P
Saturday 24th September 2011, 22:02
slow of the mark and 10psi was the result...so going to give it a good run tomorrow and double check...yellow is the wastegate isnt it? red the pipe to the turbo?

my w/g hose has a green mark on it but i don't know what plod buggered about with. Best to wiggle hoses a bit till you find the right one.:)

Yorkshiresxi
Sunday 25th September 2011, 07:04
the ecu was easily pushing 17-18psi from the car the ecu came from. The car was running no MBC, the BCS was happy & so was the ecu. Sounds like a boost leak to me mate.

Thats what i was thinking to be honest...o well work this morning so i have 5 hours to tinker then...unless the bcs is playing up.
I know i have a vacuum leak but have had that for ages now so will check for boost leaks...
whats the best way to test for boost leaks anyway...did i see someone on here remove a pipe and bung it..then build up pressure using a air compressor?

LiamT4
Sunday 25th September 2011, 09:55
liam where did you get that information? your car wont boost to 17 psi with an off the shelf map lol no where near

I'v spoke to a few different people who said it should be about 1.1-1.2 (16-17psi) on a 304ecu.

Yorkshiresxi
Sunday 25th September 2011, 10:45
Well checked this morning...12psi again in 3rd gear (auto) 10psi to set off with which makes setting off with no MBC soooo slow- miss the aggression
so refitted bcs, yellow to wastegate
red - to turbo...blue vents to fresh air
Also i need to do a pressure test, been reading online, they say take my boost guage, fit it to the vacuum tree, then take off a vac pipe from the inlet, and blow about 15psi down it and see what happens..o and cap off the turbo inlet pipe..
this rite?

T5frankie
Sunday 25th September 2011, 10:55
I'v spoke to a few different people who said it should be about 1.1-1.2 (16-17psi) on a 304ecu.

don't believe it mate thats why loads of people use mbc's

Yorkshiresxi
Sunday 25th September 2011, 11:12
Think i need to get a new MBC as mines deffo broke.. :-(

LiamT4
Sunday 25th September 2011, 12:45
Think i need to get a new MBC as mines deffo broke.. :-(

What mbc are you using and why is it broke?
Have you checked the actuator yet?

Yorkshiresxi
Sunday 25th September 2011, 15:07
What mbc are you using and why is it broke?
Have you checked the actuator yet?

Yeah actuator feels good, no free play in it.
I got one of thoughs cheap £11.95 ones of ebay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-KIT-SAAB-900-9000-VOLVO-TURBO-/130580847021?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e673999ad

i know i know..cheap but worked well for a few months...it now just spins and doesnt click...also if you blow down it the pressure doesnt change..its stays the same so it doesnt seam to be working
was going to replace it with a
either
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-VOLVO-T5-TDI-V70-S40-S60-TURBO-/220537172868?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33590a3384
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-Spec-Manual-Boost-Controller-MBC-Volvo-S40-850-T4-T5-440-480-Turbo-/220861557831?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item336c5fec47

shrekblackR
Monday 26th September 2011, 19:54
ive got same problem but on higher boost , when first fitted mbc could get 20+ psi wound fully in ,, turned it down to run about 14/15 psi now no matter what i do with it it stays at 14 , actuator fine just changed it , so i would say mbc gone bad ,,,,

Yorkshiresxi
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:15
yea think mine might of got cooked or something...still have the bcs back on now but she wont go any higher then 12 psi.
so inlet manifold off tomorrow night maybe, fix the vacuum pipe thats leaking under it and check for others i guess. then buy a new mbc and crank it up...but just unsure which mbc to get now

shrekblackR
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:20
Think I'm Gunna get forge one

Yorkshiresxi
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:29
theres a bleed off one on http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_168&products_id=1258
but i thought the bleed off ones were not the best..
help anyone...i really cant afford anything more than £30 ish quid
ta

AndysR
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:40
There must be an issue with your car which is preventing the car for creating the boost it should be. With a Rica 304 they should run (as said) between 1.1 and 1.2 bar of boost. You need to be finding the fault which is causing the boost loss not covering it up by fitting an MBC. There is no need to run an MBC on a Rica'd car if it's running correctly with no fault. Both mine (when it was Rica'd) and my brothers cars run 1.2 bar of boost with an off the shelf Rica 304 and no MBC. Mine with the custom map runs up to 1.4 bar of boost with the boost control the way Volvo intended and no MBC.

I'd be checking vac lines, adjusting the wastegate preload and if that doesn't cure it I'd be checking the wastegate is sealing correctly to the housing inside the turbo.

merc85
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:42
Think I'm Gunna get forge one

They are the ££££££ buddy i'm running one

LiamT4
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:44
There must be an issue with your car which is preventing the car for creating the boost it should be. With a Rica 304 they should run (as said) between 1.1 and 1.2 bar of boost. You need to be finding the fault which is causing the boost loss not covering it up by fitting an MBC. There is no need to run an MBC on a Rica'd car if it's running correctly with no fault. Both mine (when it was Rica'd) and my brothers cars run 1.2 bar of boost with an off the shelf Rica 304 and no MBC. Mine with the custom map runs up to 1.4 bar of boost with the boost control the way Volvo intended and no MBC.

I'd be checking vac lines, adjusting the wastegate preload and if that doesn't cure it I'd be checking the wastegate is sealing correctly to the housing inside the turbo.

Thats exactly what i was told and why i havent put the mbc back on.
Will be getting a new cat on saturday (hopefully), see if this helps.

merc85

Also any Cracking to the exhaust housing, (wastegate port)

Yorkshiresxi

On my old 280 ecu she always did 14psi with my mbc so they must be a leak somewere its just finding it i guess...
time to start replacing all the pipes..
what size vacuum pipe do i need and do i need any elbows etc?

shrekblackR
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:46
Then answer your bloody phone lol

Yorkshiresxi
Monday 26th September 2011, 20:54
she does hold 12psi all day long though, so do you still think boost leak maybe?

AndysR
Monday 26th September 2011, 21:08
she does hold 12psi all day long though, so do you still think boost leak maybe?

An MBC is a very basic way to control the boost pressures the turbo creates and by fitting one you are likely to suffer with inconsistant boost pressures with spiking at first and tailing off as the engine revs climb. If you close it off completely, screw it right in, therefore stopping any pressure getting to the actuator then the turbo should create enough boost to blow the engine apart and if that doesn't happen it will blow itself apart. By screwing the MBC right in you might as well take the vac pipe off the actuator because that effectively is what you are doing to your boost control and I strongly advise you not to do it.
If it can't create anymore than 12 psi with the MBC closed then there's a problem with the turbo or the actuator. The MBC due to it's crude and basic operation is unlikely to be the problem.

merc85
Monday 26th September 2011, 21:10
Doh!!! on silent ****e, soz

Yorkshiresxi
Monday 26th September 2011, 21:14
An MBC is a very basic way to control the boost pressures the turbo creates and by fitting one you are likely to suffer with inconsistant boost pressures with spiking at first and tailing off as the engine revs climb. If you close it off completely, screw it right in, therefore stopping any pressure getting to the actuator then the turbo should create enough boost to blow the engine apart and if that doesn't happen it will blow itself apart. By screwing the MBC right in you might as well take the vac pipe off the actuator because that effectively is what you are doing to your boost control and I strongly advise you not to do it.
If it can't create anymore than 12 psi with the MBC closed then there's a problem with the turbo or the actuator. The MBC due to it's crude and basic operation is unlikely to be the problem.

I have removed it now, just running the bcs. Will renew all the vacuum pipes, then fit the 16t i have with new actuator.
there no play in the actuator at the minute though.
so anyone know what size pipe i need to vac pipes?

shrekblackR
Monday 26th September 2011, 21:24
I have removed it now, just running the bcs. Will renew all the vacuum pipes, then fit the 16t i have with new actuator.
there no play in the actuator at the minute though.
so anyone know what size pipe i need to vac pipes?

a good quality 3mm silicone mate thats what i used

smithy
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 12:31
never had any probs with a forge unos mbc ever and they control the boost well on my old v70 and on my 940 .but make sure no boost leaks or colapseing pipes under boost.and that the actuator is strong

james
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 15:05
a good quality 3mm silicone mate thats what i used

sorry to hijack . did you get your seats sorted?

Yorkshiresxi
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 15:51
never had any probs with a forge unos mbc ever and they control the boost well on my old v70 and on my 940 .but make sure no boost leaks or colapseing pipes under boost.and that the actuator is strong

By checking the actuator...what do you all mean..because if i graab the arm, its really tight, as in springy..i can push it if i really try and it will start to move and when i let go it comes back...theres no freeplay in it at all.
also i have never touched/altered it in the times of owning the car
ta

LiamT4
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 16:25
By checking the actuator...what do you all mean..because if i graab the arm, its really tight, as in springy..i can push it if i really try and it will start to move and when i let go it comes back...theres no freeplay in it at all.
also i have never touched/altered it in the times of owning the car
ta

How much thread is on the end of the actuator? maybe give it a turn or two (be carefull though, one turn at a time)

shrekblackR
Tuesday 27th September 2011, 18:44
sorry to hijack . did you get your seats sorted?

na not had time pal might have a look at weekend