PDA

View Full Version : MBC set up

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 17:32
I fitted my Forge UNOS MBC this afternoon. Started off with it on 0 clicks was boosting and hold about 0.9 bar. Ive turned it up 10 clicks and im upto 1.1 bar now. Before i fitted it my BCS was playing up but when it was boosting right it was peaking at just under 1.5 bar.
It wasnt peaking untill around 3.5k-4k revs. Im thinking of turning the MBC upto around this sort of mark too.
When you nail it from low revs i get around 0.7 bar untill around 2.5k revs then gives a little more upto just over 3k revs then you get the full whack off boost and youre off.
Is this going to be a safe enough setup running around 1.5bar at those sort of revs or is it all going to end in tears?
I know everyone says about bending rods with too boost at low revs but what does everyone class as low revs?

Cheers peeps.

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 17:39
What map do you have that boosts to 1.5 bar and why are you using an mbc if your map boosts that high anyway?
Most use an mbc to take the boost a bit higher than what an off the shelf map will give them.

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 17:43
Its running a RICA 330 BHP map. The main reason i put an MBC on was because i suspected the BCS was knackered as it would only boost when it felt like it and other times it would give no boost at all. The MBC seems to have sorted this as its now boosting and holding well all the time.

Jamest5r
Saturday 24th September 2011, 17:44
No-one really knows for sure but most never boot it until the revs are at or over 3k, i lived by that rule at 1.4 bar and had no problems.

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 17:47
Well it depends on how you drive it then. 1.5 will be fine as long as you are progressive with the throttle and don't nail it below about 3.5k.

Just remember that mbc's do tend to bring the boost in earlier.

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:05
I might keep it turned down a touch then because to be honest i nail just as and when i feel like it. If i pull out of a road end ill just stick my toe down and away.
How do you guys manage when you do the 1/4 mile drag racing beacuse thats from a standing start and just nailing it straight away or is it a risk you take when you do that?

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:08
Mines not running enough boost to cause a problem really.

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:11
Mines not running enough boost to cause a problem really.

Should it be and it wont?

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:15
Should it be and it wont?

It should be running 1.1-1.2 bar.
Mines an auto so when i floor it off the line the boost doesn't go past 10psi untill about 3k anyway, the main problem with having auto is that it can do WOT gear changes, which can f*ck the engine in a different way. lol

p fandango
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:18
the main problem with having auto is that it can do WOT gear changes, which can f*ck the engine in a different way. lol
i'll be able to do that as well :)

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:21
i'll be able to do that as well :)

Yeah, but you won't be stupid enough to be driving along at 30mph in 4th and then change down into 1st on full boost, where as my gearbox is!

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:23
Yeah, but you won't be stupid enough to be driving along at 30mph in 4th and then change down into 1st on full boost, where as my gearbox is!

Yes an engine aint going to last to long when that happens.

p fandango
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:24
the joys of not being in control, ie get a proper gearbox ;) lol

LiamT4
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:33
the joys of not being in control, ie get a proper gearbox ;) lol

I am in control, i have an adjustable boost controller, its called my right foot!

Yes an engine aint going to last to long when that happens.

Doubt the gearbox will last long either.
You just have to learn to drive a bit different.

smithson007
Saturday 24th September 2011, 18:40
I am starting to settle down abit i dont drive as hard as what i used to. LOL. Just rather not destroy the engine at the minute.

smithson007
Sunday 25th September 2011, 21:09
ive taken the car out a few times and given it a few miles since ive fitted the MBC and ive noticed a problem with it. When you nail it in second gear it goes fine then go into third it holds back for a second or so and then boosts fine. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Also when you put your foot down in say 4th or 5th from cruising it builds the boost but its not smooth. It feels like its missfiring slightly or something like that. Any suggestions?

p fandango
Sunday 25th September 2011, 21:11
ive taken the car out a few times and given it a few miles since ive fitted the MBC and ive noticed a problem with it. When you nail it in second gear it goes fine then go into third it holds back for a second or so and then boosts fine. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Also when you put your foot down in say 4th or 5th from cruising it builds the boost but its not smooth. It feels like its missfiring slightly or something like that. Any suggestions?
how old are your HT leads, plug, dizzy & rotor arm? etc

smithson007
Sunday 25th September 2011, 21:14
Sorry mate meant to put that bit on. Theyre about 2 days old. JUst changed them all.