PDA

View Full Version : bsr

alan
Thursday 11th August 2005, 20:45
has anyone had this ecu upgrade done. am looking at the stage 2 bsr as i have an exhaust and air filter already on the car. i would get it rica'd but as i live in n.i it just makes things that bit harder for me.
any info would be greatly appreciated

Alan

volvotuning
Thursday 11th August 2005, 20:49
Hi Alan,

Is yours a 2.5T or a 2.4T? Is it drive-by wire?

Adam.

SaffronC70
Thursday 11th August 2005, 20:53
Alan

A friend of mine has a 2.0 lpt C70 - it can pull 2 car lengths infront of me in a third gear 30 mph race.

The difference is quite something !

We took off the BSR programm, went for a drive. Put the BSR back on, and the difference is very obvious !

Chris

alan
Thursday 11th August 2005, 20:54
thanks for that. its fly by wire as had to put a new etm in not so long ago. think you might be hearing from me if your pcie is right adam

Alan

tax book says 2.5 but i am not sure

Al115
Thursday 11th August 2005, 20:57
it can pull 2 car lengths infront of me in a third gear 30 mph race

Man, you need to spend more time in 2nd gear :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 11th August 2005, 23:37
I have heard some pretty bad things about BSR's customer care service.

SaffronC70
Friday 12th August 2005, 12:08
ah right, I'd give them benefit of the doubt, as the system is really good for what it is.

volvotuning
Friday 12th August 2005, 12:15
What I would say for anyone opting for the PPC BSR, is that you don't install it on your drive way. Go and do it at a tuning shop. Reasons being -

1. You can diagnose your car when standard to see if there are any problems before you start.
2. You can test that the car is running fine after the upgrade.
3. You have the advantage of technical backup from your tuner should there be a problem.
4. Once you are happy that stock and modified is ok, then you can switch at your leisure.

Adam.

marc1401
Friday 12th August 2005, 19:59
has anyone had this ecu upgrade done. am looking at the stage 2 bsr as i have an exhaust and air filter already on the car. i would get it rica'd but as i live in n.i it just makes things that bit harder for me.

Alan

I've had major problems with my PPC upgrade and I'm currently emailing BSR Sweden to report my problems with their 'upgrade'. So far the whole unit has cost me approximately £1000 in buying the PPC unit and repair costs which I've incurred when the PPC programme has corrupted and refuses to allow the car to start! It's no a laughing matter when you urgently need your car and it won't start.

So far BSR have only asked me to send the unit back to them for repair. SO far so good....but....the PPC unit will upgrade the ECU if I connected it to the car, and I can download updates from BSR over the web directly into the PPC unit so it all must be current right?

Wrong!

Within two days of reloading it, the car refused to start and I had to pay a few more hundred quid for the garage to collect the car and reload the standard ECU prog.

Don't get me wrong, if it works for you then great!! I chose the PPC over RICA because I could do it myself and didn't have to travel anywhere. In retrospect I should've bought the RICA because the RICA wouldn't corrupt itself every other day and render the car useless, and right now my car would still be upgraded.

As it is, I've had to return the car to standard ECU and power (boring!), it's cost a fortune and I've got a plastic PPC paperweight that cost me almost a grand!!!!

Stay clear unless you follow Adam's advice!
Marc

PS> I'm saving up for a RICA now...and my garage can't find anything wrong with the car now, no error codes, nothing. I've had it standard for about a month or so and it runs perfectly! Beware!

alan
Friday 12th August 2005, 20:21
am a bit worried by your coments mark. the problem is that as i live in northern ireland it is really my best option. there is no one who tunes volvos so the only person that i have to check for problems is my local mechanic, thankfully he has a great computer system that lets him work on volvos but he is no tuner so if something happens then i dont know how i would set it back to standard.

any clarification would be great
thanks
alan

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 12th August 2005, 22:41
I've had major problems with my PPC upgrade and I'm currently emailing BSR Sweden to report my problems with their 'upgrade'. So far the whole unit has cost me approximately £1000 in buying the PPC unit and repair costs which I've incurred when the PPC programme has corrupted and refuses to allow the car to start! It's no a laughing matter when you urgently need your car and it won't start.

So far BSR have only asked me to send the unit back to them for repair. SO far so good....but....the PPC unit will upgrade the ECU if I connected it to the car, and I can download updates from BSR over the web directly into the PPC unit so it all must be current right?

Wrong!

Within two days of reloading it, the car refused to start and I had to pay a few more hundred quid for the garage to collect the car and reload the standard ECU prog.

Don't get me wrong, if it works for you then great!! I chose the PPC over RICA because I could do it myself and didn't have to travel anywhere. In retrospect I should've bought the RICA because the RICA wouldn't corrupt itself every other day and render the car useless, and right now my car would still be upgraded.

As it is, I've had to return the car to standard ECU and power (boring!), it's cost a fortune and I've got a plastic PPC paperweight that cost me almost a grand!!!!

Stay clear unless you follow Adam's advice!
Marc

PS> I'm saving up for a RICA now...and my garage can't find anything wrong with the car now, no error codes, nothing. I've had it standard for about a month or so and it runs perfectly! Beware!In hindsight it would have been what ? 80 mile drive to VT for Rica and a day off work.

marc1401
Friday 12th August 2005, 22:45
In hindsight it would have been what ? 80 mile drive to VT for Rica and a day off work.

What?

A grand down with a PPC unit that doesn't function properly versus RICA with zero problems?

No contest.

SaffronC70
Friday 12th August 2005, 23:25
Take up Adam's advice - let a tuning company do it.

Mind you, my friend can not operate a video recorder and he still manages to do the PPC stuff !

Chris

marc1401
Saturday 13th August 2005, 18:49
am a bit worried by your coments mark. the problem is that as i live in northern ireland it is really my best option. there is no one who tunes volvos so the only person that i have to check for problems is my local mechanic, thankfully he has a great computer system that lets him work on volvos but he is no tuner so if something happens then i dont know how i would set it back to standard.

any clarification would be great
thanks
alan

All I've told you is what happened to me mate, personally I wouldn't take another PPC even if it was free!!! But maybe this is only an isolated incident which happened to me. Can't you get RICA through your Volvo dealer via VT nowadays? I dunno if you can or not??

alan
Saturday 13th August 2005, 19:02
i dont know about that. thing is that n.i only has two volvo dealers and they are pretty much the other end of the country to me but if they would do this i would deffently be interested, oterwise it will have to be the bsr
thanks for you reply marc1401

alan

alan
Tuesday 16th August 2005, 13:23
well have just purchased thr bsr, all being well should have it very soon. will let you know how i get on

Alan

Paco
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 15:22
Very interested in this, I've known lots of Saabs modded with BSR gear with complaints I can recall.

So is there anywhere south of Birmingham that can provide Rica upgrades?

swordy21
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 15:48
Phil Whitaker Cars
Beaconsfield Road
Farnham Common
Slough
Bucks, SL2 3NE
http://www.pwcars.co.uk/index.htm

Adam from VT put me onto him.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 15:49
Adam will tell me if I am wrong but I think Phil Whittiker Cars can do the RICA upgrade and I am pretty sure they are father south! http://www.pwcars.co.uk/start.htm

x

swordy21
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 15:50
Ha Ha - beat you moppy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 17th August 2005, 15:51
Ha Ha - beat you moppy!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMSO!! First time for everything hey Swordy!! :haha:

x

mickys60t5
Friday 19th August 2005, 00:21

Alan
hi i have the ppc and itg filter and the 3inch cat back exhaust and it has made a big diffrence easy to spin wheels with the traction control on and its an auto[geartronic]i highly recomend the setup works great

Paco
Friday 19th August 2005, 10:21
Thanks swordy and MrsM - Slough's perfect (not something that's often said)

alan
Friday 19th August 2005, 18:14
just got it in and have been for a test run, good grief does it go. everything works well and i think i will be smilling for a while

alan

SaffronC70
Friday 19th August 2005, 19:04
Good piece of kit ! Quite a noticable difference isn't there !

Have fun, be careful.

Chris

alan
Saturday 20th August 2005, 11:15
it really is worth every penny. had a good run in it last night. the pick up is unreal. first gear is now of use. 60mph just flies past and third gear really is fun! just have to remember that the police might not like to see me going to hard.

alan