PDA

View Full Version : Creaking/groaning clutch pedal?

Turbodave
Saturday 17th September 2011, 22:47
Evening folks

Back in the Volvo fold with a 2000 (T) V70 2.5TD Classic which over the past few months has developed a strange creaking/groaning from the clutch pedal. It's most definately not the clutch itself as it's creaks when you depress the clutch and groans when you release it, plus randomly will develop a big "twang" at various points.

I've had a look at the bearing/pawl at the top of the pedal and all seems well and I've also liberally sprayed some silicone grease around the pivot point but the concern persists. It's can be worse some days and seems rather heavy, but the clutch opperates fine and the bite point is good.

Any ideas or suggestions? I've used the search function and the only thing that comes up is the slave cylinder...

Regards

t5 pete
Sunday 18th September 2011, 00:45
It's the clutch slave clyindet in front of the gear box Ill explain more in the morning or afternoon

Turbodave
Monday 19th September 2011, 11:38
Not being 100% familiar with the design, I'd assume the slave cylinder was mounted either on the gearbox or in the gearbox... having read numerous reports of these failing and the associated symptoms, I'm not entirely sure if this is the issue I have. The noise, the grinding/creaking definately seems to be coming from the clutch pedal area... almost like a creaky old bed spring! As said, the clutch functions fine, it just feels like the clutch pedal bearing is dry and worn? I also drive and have driven numerous Vauxhalls and they have the obligitory squeaky clutch... this sounds the same, if a little more industrial!

Please don't feel I'm ignoring your advice, I'm just trying to get my head round it!

britten_mark
Monday 19th September 2011, 20:55
I had this for ages on an R and sprayed it to death with WD40 to no effect. Please enlighten us, it's starting to happen on the current one I think.