PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Rack

smithson007
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:20
What are the signs of a leaking steering rack? Is there any early warning signs that its on its way out?
Im getting an oily burning smell in the car. Thought it was the turbo oil return pipe leaking. Changed both the seal and gasket but still getting the smell. Coulnt see any other leaks anywhere when i had it up on the ramps.
I seem to have lost a small amount of power steering fluid in the resevior too.

Any help would be much appreiciated.

Thanks Andy

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 20:07
If my steering rack was leaking would the fluid be able to get on to the exhaust or something else hot and create an burning smell or does it simply just drip from bottom of the car?
If this is possible does powers steering fluid smell the same as engine oil when burnt?

LiamT4
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 20:23
If my steering rack was leaking would the fluid be able to get on to the exhaust or something else hot and create an burning smell or does it simply just drip from bottom of the car?
If this is possible does powers steering fluid smell the same as engine oil when burnt?

I'd have thought that it should smell different to engine oil, but having never smelt burning steering fluid i can't say for certain.

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 20:37
might just set fire to the car then ill know what it smells like. LOL. Just spent 300 quid on it this week and now looks like its more cash.

LiamT4
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 20:43
might just set fire to the car then ill know what it smells like. LOL. Just spent 300 quid on it this week and now looks like its more cash.

Thats the problem when you like cars, they are always costing you in one way or another.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 20:48
Youll certainly know if its oil or power steering fluid if you look under the car. The Power steering fluid will be red and fairly gloopy just like oil however it wont discolour like oil does.

If its leaking the most likely place is the gaitors.

Ill try take some pictures over the next few days, I suspect mine is leaking too.

merc85
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 20:57
Mate i've gotta a slow leak to, Cant see where the hell it's coming from, i'm waiting till it gets bad. my right hand chasis rail is covered in oil but can see where it's leaking from.

Keep us posted if you find out buddy

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:00
When i did my droplinks the other week i noticed the o/s gator was fairly loose. It looked like it was just cable tied on. Are they meant to be tight and have a jubilee clip on them?

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:04
Mate i've gotta a slow leak to, Cant see where the hell it's coming from, i'm waiting till it gets bad. my right hand chasis rail is covered in oil but can see where it's leaking from.

Keep us posted if you find out buddy

When i had it up on the lift the other week the subframe and bottom of the car was covered in oil but couldnt find any major leaks. I did my turbo oil return seals even though i dont think they were leaking. I hate oil leaks they can be a nightmare to find.

merc85
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:07
If your talkin Cv Boot, Best off using a Proper steal tie, My 850 chew's cv gaitors.

If your talking about the rack a tie should be fine, I'm getting the same atf smell to, although i'm not loosing alot of fluid at the moment.

I've got a oil leak from the dipstick o ring which i'm gonna have to do soon doh!

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:18
I dont seem to be loosing any oil as ive checked it every week since i got it just to keep an eye on it and all seems fine there. I checked the power steering fluid other week when cold and it was on the cold mark. I checked it yesterday and it was on the add mark so looks like thats what the fluid is. Theres a bit of something knocking about on the drive but for the amount thats on the drive looks alot more than what ive lost from anywhere so im confused.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:23
When i did my droplinks the other week i noticed the o/s gator was fairly loose. It looked like it was just cable tied on. Are they meant to be tight and have a jubilee clip on them?

As mensioned usual procedure is cable tie for the rack gaitors... obviously its not usually the gaitor causing the leak its the fluid escaping through a crack or split.

There are I believe O-Rings which can be replaced at either end, it would certainly be my first call before replacing the entire rack.

Reminds me I must remove the rack off the 850 incase the S70 rack is gone.

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:30
As mensioned usual procedure is cable tie for the rack gaitors... obviously its not usually the gaitor causing the leak its the fluid escaping through a crack or split.

There are I believe O-Rings which can be replaced at either end, it would certainly be my first call before replacing the entire rack.

Reminds me I must remove the rack off the 850 incase the S70 rack is gone.

The o/s gaitor was real loose it just slid off the rack without even trying. Will have a look at theem.
There is a repair kit that PFV sell that contains new o-rings and other bits a think. I found a thread somewhere about doing them and it looked like more than i could do myself so would be a garage job.
Yes you might aswell get your old rack off the 850 just incase. Save yourself a few pennys.

merc85
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:30
Is it black on stuff on the drive shaft? if it is it's cv grease ie torn gaiter.

If its dark liquid/engine on the gearbox side between engine and box, could be rear main seal leaking. (check engine oil)

Has it had a pcv done at anytime?

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:36
Is it black on stuff on the drive shaft? if it is it's cv grease ie torn gaiter.

If its dark liquid/engine on the gearbox side between engine and box, could be rear main seal leaking. (check engine oil)

Has it had a pcv done at anytime?

CV gaitors both looked ok. Had abit look at these other week because ive had one go before. Grease everywhere all over the wheel and side of ther car.

It looks more like used engine oil.

Cant find any history of the PCV been done. Not getting any smoke out the dipstick yet but will be on the list to do shortly.

Is it alot of work doing the PCV?

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:41
CV gaitors both looked ok. Had abit look at these other week because ive had one go before. Grease everywhere all over the wheel and side of ther car.

It looks more like used engine oil.

Cant find any history of the PCV been done. Not getting any smoke out the dipstick yet but will be on the list to do shortly.

Is it alot of work doing the PCV?

Well straight away I would suggest its not the rack if it looks like used engine oil as power steering fluid would look like new engine oil if anything.

As mensioned PCV worth checking despite no smoke as its often the PTC nipple on the air intake pipe which the PCV breather pipe connects too that gets clogged up and leaks.

Worst case scenario is rear main seal.

The PCV is no difficult task, a competant home mechanic should be able to do it in around 2 hours if not less. Its a case of removing the inlet manifold and replacing a few pieces of pipe and a box mounted to the block.

I have done a few if you need any pointers give me a shout, id offer to nip up and help but you are very far away!

merc85
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:46
What side is the leak coming from bud

nobananas
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 21:48
If you've got psf leaking out of the rack gaiters then it's knackered rack seals I'm afraid. The gaiters aren't designed to hold any pressure and will eventually let go so them leaking the fluid from the clips is preferable. My rack started leaking this way a couple of years ago. I chucked in a bottle of Lucas power steering conditioner (very thick stuff) and it quietened down the pump immediately (I didn't even know it was noisy !). The leak remained but slowed down, bunged in some more and after a couple of months the leak practically stopped. I don't have to top it up any more and after a quick jet wash around the rack gaiters/ subframe the MOT tester isn't too suspicious !

This is the stuff. You can buy it from Wilco as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-OIL-POWER-STEERING-STOP-LEAK-FLUID-SEAL-355ML-/120749360638?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1d3905fe

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 22:03
Well straight away I would suggest its not the rack if it looks like used engine oil as power steering fluid would look like new engine oil if anything.

As mensioned PCV worth checking despite no smoke as its often the PTC nipple on the air intake pipe which the PCV breather pipe connects too that gets clogged up and leaks.

Worst case scenario is rear main seal.

The PCV is no difficult task, a competant home mechanic should be able to do it in around 2 hours if not less. Its a case of removing the inlet manifold and replacing a few pieces of pipe and a box mounted to the block.

I have done a few if you need any pointers give me a shout, id offer to nip up and help but you are very far away!

Thanks for that mate ill prob get bits ordered up for PCV soon and prob have a bash at it myself. Yes it would be a hell of a trip for you to come up here thanks for the thought though. Crap thing of living all the way up here there aint much help round here.

What side is the leak coming from bud

There fluids all over the back side of the sub frame but i think its coming from driver's side.

If you've got psf leaking out of the rack gaiters then it's knackered rack seals I'm afraid. The gaiters aren't designed to hold any pressure and will eventually let go so them leaking the fluid from the clips is preferable. My rack started leaking this way a couple of years ago. I chucked in a bottle of Lucas power steering conditioner (very thick stuff) and it quietened down the pump immediately (I didn't even know it was noisy !). The leak remained but slowed down, bunged in some more and after a couple of months the leak practically stopped. I don't have to top it up any more and after a quick jet wash around the rack gaiters/ subframe the MOT tester isn't too suspicious !

This is the stuff. You can buy it from Wilco as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-OIL-POWER-STEERING-STOP-LEAK-FLUID-SEAL-355ML-/120749360638?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1d3905fe

Cheers fella. Might give some of that stuff ago. I am getting a bit of whining at the min when steering at slow speeds.

smithson007
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 22:05
Thats the problem when you like cars, they are always costing you in one way or another.

Yes they can soon start getting expensive but hey you only go to work to make money to spend it. Lol

merc85
Tuesday 20th September 2011, 23:07
Thats exactly where mine is leaking over, Let us know if you find the bugger lol

smithson007
Wednesday 21st September 2011, 17:22
Thats exactly where mine is leaking over, Let us know if you find the bugger lol

Will keep you posted mate.

smithson007
Wednesday 28th September 2011, 20:12

Well ive found my leak finally. It is the rack. Drivers side. Pulled the gaitor off and the fluid poured out of it.
I got some gear the other day thats meant to stop leaks by (Revitalisling the rubber and neoprene seals) or so it says. Think its actually made it worse. It just got poured in to the resevior and mixed in with the fluid.

So now its what do i do?

Do i try and find some of that conditioner that was mentioned and hope that plugs the leak, do i get a repair kit for the rack or try find a good condition second hand rack?