PDA

View Full Version : horrible tapping/gringing feal on break pedal

bigrotch
Thursday 15th September 2011, 16:59
hi at slow speed 5mph say, i put my foot on the break and i get a horrible tapping/grinding feel and noise you take foot off then put it back on and its gone. ive had new rear discs and pads there is plenty of meat on front pads. a friend cleaned the front abs ring yesturday, backs hAVE got tobe done at the weekend. noticed there was some movement in the abc ecu so wedged it to stop movement just incase of dry soulder joints, but still dos it any ideas would be apprieciated

nobananas
Thursday 15th September 2011, 20:34
Usually kicking/vibrating through the brake pedal at very low speed or just as the car is drawing to a halt is low speed firing of the abs. Usually the cause is a faulty reluctor ring on one of the wheel hubs or C/V joints. This can be either a cracked ring that's partially de attached from its mount, an excessively corroded ring or (as I had at work today) a C/V boot metal band clip that had broken and slipped between the abs ring and the sensor , this caused the abs to pulse through the pedal at very low speeds but no fault lamp.

bigrotch
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:09
Thnks for the reply will have a look at the wkend and yes very slow speed pulling up to ie junction etc will let ya know the findings

merc85
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:19
Thnks for the reply will have a look at the wkend and yes very slow speed pulling up to ie junction etc will let ya know the findings

She still doing it Bud?

bigrotch
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:28
Yeh Gav thought u had sorted with ya lil trick but it happend again later today gggrrr

Flatout Phil
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:46
Mine is doing this intermittently - did it tonight in fact. Very annoying but Volvo abs is something I have lived with since 2005 so treat it as a way of life! But I do need to take a look soon.

nobananas
Thursday 15th September 2011, 23:01
Mine is doing this intermittently - did it tonight in fact. Very annoying but Volvo abs is something I have lived with since 2005 so treat it as a way of life! But I do need to take a look soon.

My old Laguna's been doing it for a couple of years now (very badly rusted abs rings), started just occasionally when the weather was wet but now does it all the time (but on mine it actually brakes harder as it happens and kicks back quite hard!). I've learnt to live with it but it is funny when a mate occasionally borrows it and I have to explain my comedy abs to him !

Flatout Phil
Thursday 15th September 2011, 23:21
My old Laguna's been doing it for a couple of years now (very badly rusted abs rings), started just occasionally when the weather was wet but now does it all the time (but on mine it actually brakes harder as it happens and kicks back quite hard!). I've learnt to live with it but it is funny when a mate occasionally borrows it and I have to explain my comedy abs to him !

It's a funny thing but I find it is worse in the damp/wet too. Very odd.