PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control

Louie
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:02
Hello all, I have bought an S60 2001 T5 recently to replace my old 850 T5 :( The cruise control doesnt work. I am new to cruise control and therefore have no idea how it works or how to test components etc. any help would be great. Thank you in advance. :icon_soap

Just to add, If i click cruise on steering wheel before starting car it lights up on the dashboard.

Lee.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:10
Ok, let's see if you're using it right. Drive at 30mph or over, press cruise then press +. This is how mine works (yours is earlier but should work the same) once active, stay away from the brake and clutch. Pressing the throttle will accelerate until you let of the throttle and then the car will coast back down to the preset speed.
Cruise won't work under 30 in 5th 0r 20 in 4th and if the car struggles to get up a hill, it will automatically cancel cruise.
Hope this helps :)

Louie
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:13
Ok, let's see if you're using it right. Drive at 30mph or over, press cruise then press +. This is how mine works (yours is earlier but should work the same) once active, stay away from the brake and clutch. Pressing the throttle will accelerate until you let of the throttle and then the car will coast back down to the preset speed.
Cruise won't work under 30 in 5th 0r 20 in 4th and if the car struggles to get up a hill, it will automatically cancel cruise.
Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that, I was worried that's what you'd say. The cruise doesn't light up at all when driving. Therefore It must be broken :( any common faults to look out for.

Lee

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:23
Hmmm, my cruise konks-out now and again and the code reader says "clutch position sensor circuit fault" I clear the code and it's fine for a few months. Have you had your codes read? it may be worth it. :)

t5_monkey
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:25
clutch sensor stopped mind working a while back.

Louie
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:26
Hmmm, my cruise konks-out now and again and the code reader says "clutch position sensor circuit fault" I clear the code and it's fine for a few months. Have you had your codes read? it may be worth it. :)

Think that would be the safer option. My passenger window has a mind of its own too and I have alot of DTCs stored on the car so that might have to go on my to-do list. Thanks for the quick reply. Nice signature. lol

Louie
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:28
clutch sensor stopped mind working a while back.

Did you have the codes read or just change the sensor?

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:36
Think that would be the safer option. My passenger window has a mind of its own too and I have alot of DTCs stored on the car so that might have to go on my to-do list. Thanks for the quick reply. Nice signature. lol

Thanks, first stop for most problems with these cars is usually the code reader.
It's more than likely that somebody will pop-up sooner or later with better advice than me as my experience doesn't go any further back than 2003 P2 V70's ;) Still, check your codes to get a better idea of your problem. (be grateful you don't have a P2. I just blew 735 quid on a bloody speedo! :eek:)

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:38

I got access to a basic reader/clearer. The symptom suggests a dodgy connection rather than a sensor so I just wipe the code and carry on. Works fine for a while then goes again then back to the reader etc.

Louie
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:43
I got access to a basic reader/clearer. The symptom suggests a dodgy connection rather than a sensor so I just wipe the code and carry on. Works fine for a while then goes again then back to the reader etc.

Didn't think a basic reader would show anything as I haven't got an engine light on or anything. (I only know there are stored codes from the Read/fog light test). I think I'll look at getting it booked in. Until I do any advice is welcome. Thanks all.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 23:52
Didn't think a basic reader would show anything as I haven't got an engine light on or anything. (I only know there are stored codes from the Read/fog light test). I think I'll look at getting it booked in. Until I do any advice is welcome. Thanks all.

Mate, don't get a garage to read your codes, they will bend you over! :sheep: readers are cheap as chips nowerdays...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=obd+reader&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Failing that, there is a VPCUK reader floating around, all it costs you is postage to send to next member. Look for the who's got the code reader thread and put your name down.;)
EDIT cruise control/elec window problem won't throw a light but will store a code:)

t5_monkey
Thursday 15th September 2011, 00:35

garage did it under warranty

t5 stealth
Thursday 15th September 2011, 00:43
as advised...get codes read 1st,that will tell you more........
but also on the servo on these is a (pressure sensor).
its linked to the cruise,
iv had cars with this sensor mucking about,
it senses brake pressure,if it mucks about then it thinks the brake is being applied so keeps cruise off,
possible dicky sensor,also sensors on clutch and brake pedal,worth a check of plugs and wireing to it,
but get codes read 1st.

p fandango
Thursday 15th September 2011, 04:13
i've gone thru 3 clutch position sensors which has stopped the cruise working, but this has always thrown a "engine service required" light on engine start. The master cylinder weeping is a common problem & leaks down onto the clutch switch, what i did in the end was put the switch into a plastic sandwich bag to keep the fluid out. Think the switch is £30 from Volvo

Louie
Friday 16th September 2011, 17:23
Took my car to David Pengelley today who read the codes for me. (Free) It is a clutch position sensor as a few of you expected) Booked in for monday to have the work done. Much cheaper than I'd expected. :)

Louie
Friday 16th September 2011, 17:24
Just to add I didn't have a light on the dashboard either, these sensors don't always show a light. hope this helps people in the future. :)

M-R-P
Friday 16th September 2011, 18:09
Glad you're getting it all sorted. Did the guy clear the codes and try the cruise? that's all it takes to get mine going again, for a while. ;)

Louie
Saturday 17th September 2011, 12:09
Glad you're getting it all sorted. Did the guy clear the codes and try the cruise? that's all it takes to get mine going again, for a while. ;)

They cleared the codes and 2 cruise control codes were still active on the list. Told me its a common fault with these cars. Really decent bloke. Most places charge £40 just to read codes. So saved there already. No complaints from me.