PDA

View Full Version : need a new clutch!!

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 15:32
as above really after getting all the running problems sorted and then some ;) i now have a very slippy clutch :( obviously my new found power was too much for the old clutch so im after a new one,mr clutch have quoted me 415 ish supply and fit a new one,but is there anyone a bit more car specific so i know its done the best it can be rather than a place that just churns out 100 clutchs a day? or does anyone know if mr clutch are any good?? any feedback or help much appreciated

lee.

merc85
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 15:49
Just Done mine, It's bloody big job, Drop the whole lot out of car on the subframe, Tricky bit i found was making sure the rack didnt come out of the column.

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 16:45
how long did it take? problem is i have no where to do it thats why ive turned to the "professionals" much to my disgust lol,and did you go for a standard replacement ive read about people fitting r clutches!!

JT
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 17:01
I have no idea whats involved in changing a clutch! lol
but yes, I too upgraded to an "R" clutch,meaning I have my old 1 sitting around if its any use?

JT

shrekblackR
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 20:23
not sure if they do them but see if ya can get hold of a twin plate mmmmmmmmmm so much more take of and quicker gear change lol ,,,do you have a formula 1 car center near you .they have always done me a good job , and at good prices ,, if you want i can ring my mate at f1 here and see what he can do for ya wink wink

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 20:36
not sure if they do them but see if ya can get hold of a twin plate mmmmmmmmmm so much more take of and quicker gear change lol ,,,do you have a formula 1 car center near you .they have always done me a good job , and at good prices ,, if you want i can ring my mate at f1 here and see what he can do for ya wink wink

yes please mate that would great would really appreciate that :)

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 20:37
I have no idea whats involved in changing a clutch! lol
but yes, I too upgraded to an "R" clutch,meaning I have my old 1 sitting around if its any use?

JT

appreciate it mate but i think ill go with a new one possibly an upgrade aswell as i have a taste of what these engines can do but enough is not enough so im gonna need a stronger clutch for future ;)

merc85
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 21:23
I Upraded to a R clutch Cataloged by LUK. My Original clutch failed because someone had fitted a To smaller one for cost reasons i presume.

Time taken Roughly was 6 - 7 Hours as we were working on the floor with axles stands and two jacks lol.

They way (Autodata) says is to leave one side of the x member hanging, After tryin this we found there was not enough space to get the box out.

So, We lowered the whole subframe complete with engine, then took the box off.

Also check the drive shaft oil seals, Rear Main Crank Seal while your there, also the condition of the Flywheel, as you dont wanna be doing this job twice. lol

theflyingbrick
Thursday 15th September 2011, 15:32
I Upraded to a R clutch Cataloged by LUK. My Original clutch failed because someone had fitted a To smaller one for cost reasons i presume.

Time taken Roughly was 6 - 7 Hours as we were working on the floor with axles stands and two jacks lol.

They way (Autodata) says is to leave one side of the x member hanging, After tryin this we found there was not enough space to get the box out.

So, We lowered the whole subframe complete with engine, then took the box off.

Also check the drive shaft oil seals, Rear Main Crank Seal while your there, also the condition of the Flywheel, as you dont wanna be doing this job twice. lol

fancy doing it again?? lmao. i spoke with shrek and his mate can supply and fit a performance sachs clutch for 518pound but i really dont wanna spend that much on a car that only cost me 600 quid id rather buy another one and just swap my bits on to it!! and sell the spares off of this one,or keep them for future but i dont know im sort of at a crossroads now and not sure which way to turn:(

Mongo
Thursday 15th September 2011, 16:39
Mr cluth are good were i am in basildon quick to they done my renault 21 turbo wich was thesame sort of presidure as the volvo only took a day aswel same day drive off. My volvos 280whp and i just went for a pattern part cluth from gsf and its fine i bin nerburgring for 4 days then straight after santapod done 10 runs down there been fine. I think the 3peice kit was around £250 and mr clutch like cash deals on a friday lol. All the best

t5 pete
Thursday 15th September 2011, 16:46
Thats a very good price from mr clutch its a lots of work changing a clutch and if you dont know what your doing or are unsure ide take it there for that price

theflyingbrick
Thursday 15th September 2011, 16:46
so if i supply the clutch will they fit it? coz i can go gsf thurrock on way to basvegas get the clutch done and pop in see me uncle lol

shrekblackR
Thursday 15th September 2011, 17:46
lee i wouldent but a to cheap one as it will only last you a week lol

The Flying Moose
Thursday 15th September 2011, 18:16
A genuine R clutch kit including thrust release bearing will set you back around £150-£200 alone. As mensioned its a big job but one that can be done in a single day by a competant home mechanic. Ive done three gearbox's and two clutches now on these and it gets easier each time.

Total cost your self would be around £250 if you buy the genuine R clutch, thrust release bearing, clutch plate, new rear main seal and a gearbox oil flush (worth doing).

merc85
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:15
You really wanna put a Decent Clutch in there bud, You will regret it futher down the line buddy if you are planin on big mods.

Sachs or LUK,

The times ive spent out on cheaper parts then wished i'd just paid abit more.

theflyingbrick
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:26
oh yeah im not going for a cheaper clutch just trying to find someone who will fit it a good price!!

Mongo
Thursday 15th September 2011, 21:58
I think gsf ones a sachs clutch kit! Not 100% tho but 60% lol

T5frankie
Thursday 15th September 2011, 22:02
mr clutch done mine and it was £580 plus a flywheel mate