PDA

View Full Version : Newbie....Which Model

PADDYWAGON05
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 12:34
Hi,
We are hoping to buy a used V70 from the UK..we are in Ireland.
We would be in the market for 2003 diesel model as we have to pay vrt taxes ontop.
Firstly which models give the least problems.
What are the most common issues..if any.
If we can not find a 7 seat version, can a normal one be easily changed.

This will be our first Volvo, my mate had a S60 and told me to stay long way away as he had terrible clutch/flywhhel isses etc...

Cheers

Paddywagon

TheT6Kid
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 17:49
I've had two S60 D5, one MY03 and current MY05. The S60's share a lot of components with the V70.
I can honestly say they have both been excellent cars, a couple of little issues but I have managed to resolve most of them by myself and with help from this forum and 'touch wood' have avoided any significant bills.
I would have no hesistation in recommending the D5 engine, in my experience it is a strong unit, correctly serviced will manage many hundreds of thousands of miles.

I've had one manual and one geartronic, both seem up to the job.

The usual checks when your test driving should be sufficient, look for a good service history, regular oil changs etc.

Test drive a few, the D5 should be surprising off the mark for a diesel, it does have a perculiar engine note, but this doesn't sound like something is wrong.
Listen for suspension clunks, these are heavy cars, especially on the V70 it may have been used as a removal truck.
Make sure the interior reflects the mileage, check for wear on pedal rubbers and steering wheel. seat bolsters etc.
You may find a few parking dings/scratched on the bumper corners, this is prob due to the size of the car, rest assured the other car more than likely will have come off worse.

I have the 5 speed geartronic at present and on an average run expect mid to high 40's for MPG.

Make sure all the dash warning lights illuminate when you turn the key and go out when the engine is running. Electrical issues are sometimes the expensive things to fix.

If you know anyone that has one maybe they would be kind enough to take you for a drive in theirs so you would know what it should sound like, it may help.

Don't be scared, well maintained they're great cars.....

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 14th September 2011, 19:21
:welcome:

We run V70 petrol so can't help sorry.

Mooks
Monday 19th September 2011, 20:44
Hi.

Both myself and the mrs drive V70 D5's, one 2002 and one 2003. I have previously had a 740, 960 and a V70 2.5 turbo diesel (pre D5). The D5's are by far the best cars we have ever had. I am averaging just under 50 to the gallon on an 80 mile round trip to work each day, the mrs manages 42 to the gallon in rush hour traffic.

No problems other than usual wear and tear repairs.

M-R-P
Monday 19th September 2011, 21:40
The advice above is excellent so all I can add is this, 2000 to 2003 (pre 2004) have a well known fault with the DIM, others will have seen my rants about this in the last few months. First it will throw an SRS fault, giving a warning on the info screen and the dreaded orange triangle. It will then escalate into major problems - ending-up with a bill for at least 700 quid. You can get the problem bodged for a while (search DIM repair). It's fair to say only a small percentage go wrong but it really is annoying.
Our car is a 2003, it did 113k in 3 years with Leicestershire plod who treated her rough and gave her an obscene amount of hard work. So it has taken some TLC (and £735 for a new DIM!) but she serves us well and goes like a rocket! - Manual M56LK gearbox, T-5 147bhp + Plod remap. Take a punt, even on ex plod cos even if it has niggles, you will still own an excellent car.;)