PDA

View Full Version : Some technical help

stirtog
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 09:27
I have just joined the forum and looking for some help. Recently bought a V70(07 car last of previous model) with 90k milage on clock and it has started to lose brake fluid. I put it into a local garage and they cannot see any visible signs of loss, they think it is leaking in gearbox but are not sure. They say only way to find out is to strip it at considerable cost. Is there any way I can check if it is losing fluid here without getting it stripped? Are there any other hidden components where the fluid could be lost? Thanks

Vikingxl
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 09:31
Get ready for the considerable cost

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 09:50
Get ready for the considerable cost

I feel the Nordic one may be right, palm it off to a dealer while you can mate.

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 10:20
I'm confused as to how the guy who looked at your brakes could say that fluid is leaking into the gearbox!

The braking system is closed and runs through the car via hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder and a reservoir that holds the fluid. To my knowledge at no time does it pass through the gearbox, why should it?

There could be a loose union at any of the wheels or joints through out the car, get her up in the air and go through all the pipes looking for breaks, cracks and any sign of fluid on the underside of the car. Take off the wheels and check all the unions to the discs and make sure that they are tight. You could get the system pressure checked, this involves getting the fluid in the system put under pressure as in having them bled through, then while it's under pressure get underneath and follow all the break pipes this could show up where the leak is.

The master cylinder could be leaking and would need replacing, or even the reservoir could have a small hole in it.

Are your brakes spongy, or do they have a lot of travel?

Again I can't see how the garage guy can say the brake fluid is leaking into the gearbox, unless they are after lots of money!

p fandango
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 10:34
I'm confused as to how the guy who looked at your brakes could say that fluid is leaking into the gearbox!

The braking system is closed and runs through the car via hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder and a reservoir that holds the fluid. To my knowledge at no time does it pass through the gearbox, why should it?

There could be a loose union at any of the wheels or joints through out the car, get her up in the air and go through all the pipes looking for breaks, cracks and any sign of fluid on the underside of the car. Take off the wheels and check all the unions to the discs and make sure that they are tight. You could get the system pressure checked, this involves getting the fluid in the system put under pressure as in having them bled through, then while it's under pressure get underneath and follow all the break pipes this could show up where the leak is.

The master cylinder could be leaking and would need replacing, or even the reservoir could have a small hole in it.

Are your brakes spongy, or do they have a lot of travel?

Again I can't see how the garage guy can say the brake fluid is leaking into the gearbox, unless they are after lots of money!
on later cars the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 12:27
on later cars the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox
Thanks Pedro, shows why I stick to older Volvos, these new designs are Bloody Insane, why the hell would you put part that would leak an incompatible fluid into your gearbox if it goes wrong ??

Oh wait, it's not a Volvo design is it, it a Fud, that well-known company that screw up any company they get their hands on.

Nothing like making a simple job like changing a slave cylinder into a virtual stripdown. :cussing:

stirtog
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 13:18
Thanks for replies. the slave cylinder is inside gearbox so wondered if there is any way of finding out if it is leaking here without committing to a full stripdown? Garage has checked for any visible signs. Is there any other place it could leak without being visible? No signs of drips on ground and I have put in over 0.5 pints in 6 weeks so any external drips should have been visible

Louie
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 14:03
Thanks for replies. the slave cylinder is inside gearbox so wondered if there is any way of finding out if it is leaking here without committing to a full stripdown? Garage has checked for any visible signs. Is there any other place it could leak without being visible? No signs of drips on ground and I have put in over 0.5 pints in 6 weeks so any external drips should have been visible

I had a similar problem on my 850. Turned out that it was leaking from the "brake switch" attached to the master cylinder. as it was leaking very slow it was being burnt away by heat from engine. Almost impossible to trace. I found out by simply unplugging it and seeing the fluid. Hope this helps.

Lee

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=306&pictureid=2153

MAKE SURE YOU PLUG IT BACK IN BEFORE YOU DRIVE OR YOU WILL GET AN ABS LIGHT!!!!!

Niles
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 16:43
I had exactly the same problem. Fluid leaked out and was causing the sender unit to signal the abs/brake system was on the blink. If you unplug the plug/sensor, just have a quick look to see if its wet.
If you need a spare, i have a couple. good luck in your search.

I had a similar problem on my 850. Turned out that it was leaking from the "brake switch" attached to the master cylinder. as it was leaking very slow it was being burnt away by heat from engine. Almost impossible to trace. I found out by simply unplugging it and seeing the fluid. Hope this helps.

Lee

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=306&pictureid=2153

MAKE SURE YOU PLUG IT BACK IN BEFORE YOU DRIVE OR YOU WILL GET AN ABS LIGHT!!!!!