PDA

View Full Version : Rim wax...is it worth it? One for Wobbly?

Flatout Phil
Monday 12th September 2011, 07:48
On the newly fitted Volans which have been powder coated having been stripped to bare metal and machined, I am keen to make sure the finish lasts as long as possible. I know some people use rim wax, is there any benefit over ordinary turtle was or similar on 'painted' rims - or am I wasting my money?

I think the only way to make sure they keep looking good is - of course - to keep them washed. Just wondered if there was any recommended ongoing treatment?

And finally...

Phil V70R and other, in advance, I await your interesting accounts of rim waxing :p

t5 pete
Monday 12th September 2011, 08:31
I'm sure there is some thing you can put on to help stop brake dust etc eating into the alloy

JelT5
Monday 12th September 2011, 09:31
Phil, I'm sorry but the title of this thread just sounds sooooooo wrong!!!!

Jaseb77
Monday 12th September 2011, 10:18
Having "waxe'd my rims" in the past with Chemical guy's wheel guard.

It is Ok , and does prevent stick on build up of brake dust.

As with any alloys its important to not allow the nasty stuff to build up.

A detailling spray (meguirs) is good enough for keeping wheel clean too.

gmain1967
Monday 12th September 2011, 10:42
Phil, I'm sorry but the title of this thread just sounds sooooooo wrong!!!!

Just what I was thinking - a product that might be useful in prison???!!!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th September 2011, 11:40
Given that you have just spent all that time getting them to look nice - sealing them with a decent wax will be worth it long term.

I bought an expensive wax but I am not that good with compliancy (don't do it often enough)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armour/prod_878.html

This stuff is supposed to last 12 months or more. I have used the glass cleaning stuff to great effect (lasts 2 years).

I have used RIM WAX in the past, but I gave my last pot to Bubba last year when we finished detailing his C70.

Any thing that makes cleaning easier is always a good thing in my book. Also it will make the colour pop more than leaving it flat.

I spray on bilberry wheel cleaner prior to applying the prewash (snowfoam/CG Hyperwash combo). On the rinse this means 90% of the dirt rinses away.

This is essential for me, especially on technical large wheels - if the basterds had not nicked 'em.

Flatout Phil
Monday 12th September 2011, 13:17
Jerry and Gmain, I was expecting JUST this sort of vulgarity... :p

Thanks for that Dave and Jase, I will follow these thoughts up. Very useful.

As I always saw, nothing like a well-polished rim...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th September 2011, 13:34
Brake dust comes out those pads at quite high temperatures - so having some extra protection particularly with new wheels you want to keep looking nice is essential.

I use 3 things to actually clean the wheels. A wheel brush - I have trialed many but found the EZ detail brush (look it up on CYC) to be the best. A wheelsmitt for the face - though any wash mitt would probably suffice & a hard nylon brush to clean the tyre face, as there is no point putting tyre dressing on a mucky tyre. Stubborn tar spots are zapped with the Tardis (it melts them).

If you want more links etc on these products or some detailing help then I am only 3 hours away LOL. All the gear & no idea ;)

t5_monkey
Monday 12th September 2011, 13:49
I was slightly dissapointed when I actually read this thread :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 12th September 2011, 13:52
Why do you not Wax your rim often?

Flatout Phil
Monday 12th September 2011, 14:50

Yer derty bloke!

JUDGENINJA
Monday 12th September 2011, 15:09
I applied quite a few layer of polish to my white wheels after powder coating...

They still discoloured and the brake dust still ate into to them. I think that possibly had to do with the lack of followup washing I did..

M-R-P
Monday 12th September 2011, 16:20
normally, I would have some kind of wize ass remark at this point. In fact, it's expected in many circles but to be honest, there's no need is there. ;)
That said, ClingTex 100 chainsaw chain oil, rubbed in, although will attract dust and dirt, will also wipe straight off with a cloth.
works for me. :)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 12th September 2011, 16:32
........That said, ClingTex 100 chainsaw chain oil, rubbed in, although will attract dust and dirt, will also wipe straight off with a cloth.
works for me. :)
....For some reaon the "I'm a Lumberjack" song just sprung into my head... Now I've got all sorts of thoughts going through my head!!!:rotfl:

martybelfastt5
Monday 12th September 2011, 19:08
lol!!:lol:

Flatout Phil
Monday 12th September 2011, 21:26

Just for you Monkey...http://brazilianwaxingstudio.co.uk/male_intimate_waxing.html

You could try it for the craic...

PHIL V70R
Monday 12th September 2011, 22:40
well what can i say about riming...lol..as i get around a bit and tend 2 use wax a lot..i think it needs 2 be put on by hand in a fast and hard way..i think a glove would be best phil the one we had a yours..lol..as 4 kerbing well i can only wait 2 see how this one turns out...i did notice u had soft hands phil...

Flatout Phil
Monday 12th September 2011, 22:44
well what can i say about riming...lol..as i get around a bit and tend 2 use wax a lot..i think it needs 2 be put on by hand in a fast and hard way..i think a glove would be best phil the one we had a yours..lol..as 4 kerbing well i can only wait 2 see how this one turns out...i did notice u had soft hands phil...

Oh dear, I could see that one coming... Not a happy thought....

M-R-P
Monday 12th September 2011, 22:49
....For some reaon the "I'm a Lumberjack" song just sprung into my head... Now I've got all sorts of thoughts going through my head!!!

Just for you Mr. Ninja...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZa26_esLBE&feature=related

t5_monkey
Monday 12th September 2011, 23:11
Just for you Monkey...http://brazilianwaxingstudio.co.uk/male_intimate_waxing.html

You could try it for the craic...

Is that the place you go to.. any good ? :D

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 06:36
Is that the place you go to.. any good ? :D

Well I have to say that on the hole, it has to be a no...:eek:

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 13th September 2011, 09:39
Well I have to say that on the hole, it has to be a no...:eek:

anything you would like 2 tell us all phil.....:worthless