PDA

View Full Version : how much can you weight can you loe for a car

leet5r
Thursday 8th September 2011, 11:47
areet lads , had the car on a weight bridge and its 1460kgs , would it poss to get the car down to 1300 or 1350kg . whats the best stuff to remove , pedro this does apply to you lol

p fandango
Thursday 8th September 2011, 12:10
areet lads , had the car on a weight bridge and its 1460kgs , would it poss to get the car down to 1300 or 1350kg . whats the best stuff to remove , pedro this does apply to you lol
seats are the main one, but here's a list for you LINK (http://www.box.net/shared/5u97u5h3j9)

what condition was your car when you weigh'd it, ie how much full, isn't yours an estate? I've estimated BT's original weight as 1436 & trying to get to 1100kg

leet5r
Thursday 8th September 2011, 12:53
car is a t5r saloon with 7gallons of fuel in , spare wheel , cds etc etc
cheers

i dont want to g to extreame if i do decide to strip her

antz
Thursday 8th September 2011, 13:09
To be hoenst I think you are going to struggle to get the weight down without losing ride comfort, increased noise levels or some big bits of trim from the car.

The standard seats are extremely heavy so a good comprimise would be a pair of Recaros on some stripped down runners as they always have more levers and crap than you really need or some aftermarket bucket seats. Depending on your cash flow you could anywhere from a pair of cheap Cobra Clubman fixed back buckets right up to Recaro carbon kevlar backed seats which ive heard are extremely light.

Then you could ditch the spare wheel 7 tool kit for a can of tyre weld and hope you dont get a flat tyre.

After that you are entering the realms of ditching the carpets, bin the rear seat, lose any unnecessary trim you dont NEED, chip off any sound deadening in the car, cut the dash apart to virtually nothing that just holds your clocks in place, lose, the door cards for some carbon fibre ones and become best friends with a circular hole cutter on the doors to lose some weight but this can comprimise strength and I wouldnt recommend it. I have seenr ally and drag cars do it though.

If you dont fancy any of that which will basically ruin a road going car and make it a weekend/track toy only then if you can find someone who does fibreglass bonnet and boot lids you could try that to save some weight.

leet5r
Thursday 8th September 2011, 13:15
tbh i had in mind was replacing the front seats with a cosworth recaro (if poss) remove the carpets and back seats all the boot trim and just leave the front door cards in with the centre console and speakers , just so it isnt to harsh for everyday

danny-R
Thursday 8th September 2011, 13:17
You could just cut down on them pies a bit mate :P just kiddin

antz
Thursday 8th September 2011, 13:30
tbh i had in mind was replacing the front seats with a cosworth recaro (if poss) remove the carpets and back seats all the boot trim and just leave the front door cards in with the centre console and speakers , just so it isnt to harsh for everyday

They are a nice seat! I do like a nice pair of Recaros.

I think youll find that not having carpets for a daily will create a lot of road noise and even removing the rear seat will.

leet5r
Thursday 8th September 2011, 15:30
if its too much a could always put it back in

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 8th September 2011, 17:15
seats are the main one, but here's a list for you LINK (http://www.box.net/shared/5u97u5h3j9)

what condition was your car when you weigh'd it, ie how much full, isn't yours an estate? I've estimated BT's original weight as 1436 & trying to get to 1100kg

And no mention of an angle grinder either :hidesbehi

p fandango
Thursday 8th September 2011, 17:21
And no mention of an angle grinder either :hidesbehi
lol, some of the things on the list can only be removed with an angle grinder ;)

T5frankie
Thursday 8th September 2011, 18:10
dont wreck another "R" they are dissapearing too quickly, buy a t5 and do it lol

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 8th September 2011, 19:24
You can remove 150kgs easily, by just removing all the roof lining, carpets, dash, heating system, sound proofing, door linings, glass....

pigfight
Thursday 8th September 2011, 22:46
ive heard that the wheels engine and gearbox are quite heavy!!!!!!!!!

Tomcat
Thursday 8th September 2011, 22:59

OFFS!!.....he'll only start blathering on about which parts to get the grinder on, ok if you want a kit car but not for a daily driver....:biggrin:

t5_monkey
Thursday 8th September 2011, 23:08

Jump out ....

but seriously :) on a daily... replace the spare with a can of foam and run with a fuel tank never over 1/2 full.

spare is 12kg and 20kg from not having a full tank.

Then you could remove and store the back seats ... that would probably save another 30kg

THEN you could put some serious light weight wheels on (16" if they fit) that would save 2-4kg per corner (Lotus says unsprung weight is 6 times more effective than sprung... so the car may feel up to 90kg lighter)

all told, on a good day your car will FEEL 150kg lighter doing that.

Good dampers also make a car feel less wallowy and taughter

leet5r
Thursday 8th September 2011, 23:23
okay lads, every thing that gets takin out will be able to go back in ,if i do decide to strip her, am after a set of coilovers 1st tho as the car will look to high other wise , and probs uprated roll bars and a rear strut brace