PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to change engine top mount

theflyingbrick
Monday 5th September 2011, 20:01
a simple question really just got a polybush replacement and thought id just "pop" outside and whip it in but i cant seem to get the old one out!! is just a case of brute strength,or am i missing something :frown:

claymore
Monday 5th September 2011, 20:25
The outer part of the mount will need prizing out (hammer and screwdriver) it's only plastic so shouldn't be to difficult.

t5 pete
Monday 5th September 2011, 20:55
Best way is get a hack saw blade and saw through your old bush then it will tap out easy then to fit the new one get a bolt to slide through the poly mount with a large washer either side then a nut on either end and wind them in and finally fit the metal sleeve.

merc85
Monday 5th September 2011, 21:31
a simple question really just got a polybush replacement and thought id just "pop" outside and whip it in but i cant seem to get the old one out!! is just a case of brute strength,or am i missing something :frown:

Should be able to push it out with a couple of G clamps, thats how i done mine.

It's getting the new one back that's hard. But seeing you have a poly bush it should be a whle lot easier.

theflyingbrick
Monday 5th September 2011, 23:06
cheers guys funny thing about these forums is that in your head you know what to do,but find yourself looking for advice anyway lol it is nice for a little reasurance though ;) thanks again gentleman helpfull as always.

woz
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 00:25
Anyone else have trouble getting the new one to stay in place?? I put new Volvo one in, simple as per all the tips offered, hacksaw first, then hammer and screwdriver, then a couple of clamps or a tool I bought off Ebay.

BUT three weeks later, rumble and roar under acceleration! Some like that, I dont! It had slid out sideways. Had to keep clamping it back in again every week! Then tried silicon bonder which helped. Now I have tapped a small screw in through the metal collar into the plastic sleeve just to stop it moving, so hope problem solved. Just wonder if anyone else had similar issues?

woz

t5 stealth
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 00:38
Anyone else have trouble getting the new one to stay in place?? I put new Volvo one in, simple as per all the tips offered, hacksaw first, then hammer and screwdriver, then a couple of clamps or a tool I bought off Ebay.

BUT three weeks later, rumble and roar under acceleration! Some like that, I dont! It had slid out sideways. Had to keep clamping it back in again every week! Then tried silicon bonder which helped. Now I have tapped a small screw in through the metal collar into the plastic sleeve just to stop it moving, so hope problem solved. Just wonder if anyone else had similar issues?

woz

i prised mine out with a big pair of grips,then the new one fitted realy easy,
only took 5 or 10 mins,
mine hasnt moved since i fitted it couple of years ago.
strange yours slips out,maybe large washers each side would hold it ?

bigrotch
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 00:49
Easy gettin old one out cos it was split poly bush gos in easy just tryn to get the mount arm back over it as it fouls up as poly bush is wider than standad and I couldn't take it off from the bulk head as the bolt dosnt come out as there is a aircon pipe right underneath, so it's a lil bit of brute force and ignorance!!! Defo worth doin the sound difference in side is pukka the 5 cylinder grawler lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 00:50
Just a semi-topical question, how much more noise do you get from the poly top mount? I like the car to be quiet and restrained until you unleash it but am p1ssed off with changing cr@ppy volvo top mounts.

bigrotch
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 00:59
When ya driven normal it's a little bit lounder and u canfeel the engine more. When u give it the beans then it's alot louder and feel of the engine more , I deffo prefer it. But I used to have a complete decated wrx import with u needed earplugs for nearly inside lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 01:05
Hmm, gotta keep the car family friendly! might stick to cr@ppy volvo bushes!

bigrotch
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 01:11
I've got 3kids fella and moany missus toboot lol and she dosnt moan about the noise (makes a bloody change lol) I'd deffo get one... On fleabay under 20 deliverd if it ant yr thing u can sell it and basically get ya money back maybe loose a couple of quid that's it. Defo worth a try

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 01:15
I've got 3kids fella and moany missus toboot lol and she dosnt moan about the noise (makes a bloody change lol) I'd deffo get one... On fleabay under 20 deliverd if it ant yr thing u can sell it and basically get ya money back maybe loose a couple of quid that's it. Defo worth a try

Local europarts quoted about 14 quid but I only barely got away with the cone filter;)

3 more posts...:)

bigrotch
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 01:20
Mate at that price I'd say go for it change it on the sly and see if she notices the diff if not happydays

M-R-P
Wednesday 5th October 2011, 01:27
Good point;) think I'll do that, cheerz bud!
And with that.... MY 1000th POST :thewave::thewave::thewave:

I am off to bed!