PDA

View Full Version : 12v / Cigarette Lighter

Kent Canary
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 11:11
Having got a funky new phone I want to get an in car charger - however am I right in thinking Volvo still have a non standard cigarette lighter socket?

I bought a standard phone charger for another handset when I had my 440 and it didnt fit - im sure the S70 is the same as I had to replace one recently from main dealer.

Are there any solutions for this or am I restricted to only lighting fine cigars or just having it there while I smoke my pipe?

Many thanks

KC

Martinr
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 11:22
Before fitting my car kit into my 850 I used a plug in charger. There was no problem. The socket looks perfectly normal to me. How was it 'none standard' on the 440?

Kent Canary
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 11:26
The actual socket was smaller than the plug in connector, I thought I had heard somewhere that the Volvos had a 12v socket (with a cigarette lighter in it) rather than a 'cigarette lighter socket' where other devices can plug into.

Hopefully Im totally wrong!

Martinr
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 11:31
Sounds like a power take off as opposed to a cigarette lighter.

As I said mine fitted no problem. Do you have any other accessories that you could try in the socket or do you know someone who has?

Alternatively, try the element from another vehicle in the socket. If it fits its's likely as not standard. I worked for 20 years in the vehicle manufacturing sector and this along with radios and bulbs was one of the few standard parts.

Straker
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 12:37
On this theam has anyone tried fitting a 12V socket into the boot of an estate (mines an 850). I would like to run a cool box for a France trip and i was wondering what wires you could jack into? Much neater than trailing wires through to the front.

Cheers

Straker
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 12:39
That was the 100th post, I am now a senior member !

:worship: :bounce: :Handshake

S40 T4
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 13:34
I know some of the cd multi changers take there power from the rear lights, so a possabilty there maybe?

p fandango
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 14:58
On this theam has anyone tried fitting a 12V socket into the boot of an estate (mines an 850). I would like to run a cool box for a France trip and i was wondering what wires you could jack into? Much neater than trailing wires through to the front.
its easily done, all you need is a positive wire from the battery fed thru the bulkhead & down the sill then to a panel mount socket you can buy from most car accessory shops, the earth for the socket can go straight to the metal body so you won't have to feed 2 wires down the car

I know some of the cd multi changers take there power from the rear lights, so a possabilty there maybe?
you won't get a very high current from the rear lights, think cigeratte lighters normally have 25/30amp fuse, you'll just blow the fuse & have no lights (cd changers are only 3amp)

chriskay
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 16:20
Having got a funky new phone I want to get an in car charger - however am I right in thinking Volvo still have a non standard cigarette lighter socket?

I bought a standard phone charger for another handset when I had my 440 and it didnt fit - im sure the S70 is the same as I had to replace one recently from main dealer.

Are there any solutions for this or am I restricted to only lighting fine cigars or just having it there while I smoke my pipe?

Many thanks

KC
I'm sure there's nothing different about the lighter socket. I bought an accessory extension & found that it was hard to get in cos the -ve. terminals stuck out a long way, but it went in.
Cheers, Chris.

Kent Canary
Wednesday 10th August 2005, 21:44
Bought it, and it fits fine! thanks for all the replies. Lord knows what was in the 440..!