PDA

View Full Version : sunroof glass swap

pigfight
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 16:44
hi folks,
looks like the sunroof seal on my 97 v70 is on its way out, where it meets the glass, cus its started letting in water.
i salvaged the full unit from from a 96 850r, and they look exactly the same, so hopeing to do a straight swap. (please feel free to tell me otherwise if you no better).
the problem i have is this: to access the screws to remove the sunroof glass, it has to be in the vent position, but the full unit from the 850 is shut, so would any of you have any tips on how i can get power to it so that i can get it into the vent position?
as always, super grateful for any help.

PHIL V70R
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 21:12
swap mine but it was like 4 like..v70r for v70r...had 2 remove the head lineing tho...

pigfight
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 21:29
thats exactly what im trying to avoid phil, swapping just the glass unit (which is the bit i need) seems to be simply a case of removing 4 screws, but it has to be in the 'vent' position to get access to them.
ive no problem removing the one from my car, but the donor unit was removed in the 'closed' position, i just some how need to figure out how to get power to it, so that i can open it to the 'vent' position.
and i dont think its possible to hack it out without damaging the piece i want in some way.
cheers anyway mate.

RTS70R
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 21:48
Can you not apply 12v to the correct terminals :hidesbehi

or remove the motor and hand crank it to the vent position

RTS70R
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 22:09
4 wires to motor

black (contact 4 ) is ground
blue (contact 1 ) is live from fuse box
green (contact 2) is live from switch (obviously one direction )
white (contact3) is live from switch ( opposite direction )

this is my interpretation of the haynes manual

hope this is useful

pigfight
Sunday 4th September 2011, 12:33
4 wires to motor

black (contact 4 ) is ground
blue (contact 1 ) is live from fuse box
green (contact 2) is live from switch (obviously one direction )
white (contact3) is live from switch ( opposite direction )

this is my interpretation of the haynes manual

hope this is useful

very useful indeed rt,
cheers for that.

The Flying Banana
Sunday 4th September 2011, 23:33
does the sunroof motor not have a hex shaft to put an allen key in for emergency closure?

pigfight
Sunday 4th September 2011, 23:53
never thought of that, ive not spotted one, but i will definately check and let you know.
good thinking, cheers.

The Flying Banana
Monday 5th September 2011, 00:07
looks like a big screw driver slot in it .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-ELECTRIC-SUNROOF-MOTOR-/320715425913?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aac210879

pigfight
Monday 5th September 2011, 00:45
looks like a big screw driver slot in it .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-ELECTRIC-SUNROOF-MOTOR-/320715425913?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aac210879

thats brilliant, wont be til tues/weds now til i can have a go at this, but will post how i go on.
really appreciate your help guys, thankyou.

woz
Wednesday 19th October 2011, 21:10
thats brilliant, wont be til tues/weds now til i can have a go at this, but will post how i go on.
really appreciate your help guys, thankyou.
Hope the job went OK

A quick ask - is it possible to get the seal on its own or is it only with the whole glass? (Same problem here and winter looms....)

CHeers
Woz