PDA

View Full Version : will they write it off

graemewelch
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 12:25
whilst on my hols some one went in to the back of my car. its a 2005 t5 that id discribe as very good condition with 69k on clock. the rear panel has been pushed in, boot floor has crumples, rear light smashed, bumpers wreked. rear quater on pasanger side has moved and the panel between the floor and rear quater is crumbled to. my opionion is they write it off. ive got the option to buy it back if i want which ill probobly do. it will be a shame but if i do buy it i think ill end up breaking it for bit

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 12:46
Speaking from previous experience yes they'll write it off, must have been some serious shunt to do that to the boot floor!, hope everyone was ok.

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 13:07
Yeah sadly pal sounds like they will..i buy a few write offs and there getting wrote off for nothing. More money in the economy you see, makes you spend money on buying a new car etc if they write yours off

graemewelch
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 13:08
was in a 3 car pile up. luckily i was at the front. a van went in to the back of a lexus then it got pushed in to me. the lexus is a mess. no one badly hurt just a bit of whiplash. will be gutted if they write it off. ive been looking for simular cars ie milage year spec and condition and i cant even find a 2005 t5 never mind a se lux.

graemewelch
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 13:10
the insurance says i can buy it back for scrap value if they write it off. guess theyll be a few happy members on here getting some good parts

Tomcat
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 13:21
Glad nobody got hurt, when I had my 960 written off I bought it back for the princley sum of.....£25 lol. Let's hope they charge you a similar fee. If you buy it back and you can't find a similar car is it not worth getting it fixed yourself ( using the insurance payout), just because the car's written off by the insurance just means that it's not economicaly viable to repair it rather than it being dangerous.

ROZER
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 13:38
sorry to hear about yor car graeme you have done quit a bit of work to its a shame. gutted for ye, but i will take the intercooler off ye hands if you are breaking .

Yorkshiresxi
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 15:39
the insurance says i can buy it back for scrap value if they write it off. guess theyll be a few happy members on here getting some good parts

If you can at the rite price, buy it back and get stripping to see how bad the damage is, if its just the boot floor i have drilled holes in the rear panel and pulled the arse end out or some cars. its never going to be 100% or too neat but as long as it all lines up and is safe it will be ok. plus you know the car, as you own it, lol, u know its problems, you know its down falls. dont be put off pal, get it bought back and tart her up again - thats what some one else will do when it goes through auctions like copart etc

graemewelch
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 16:35
sorry to hear about yor car graeme you have done quit a bit of work to its a shame. gutted for ye, but i will take the intercooler off ye hands if you are breaking .

if you want to exchange it and can get to me tomora then you can have it for £200 car gose in on tuesday

T5R+
Saturday 3rd September 2011, 17:12
I am after a "winter project" - will send you a PM. :rolleyes:

MacXC60T5
Sunday 4th September 2011, 13:14
PM sent to you.

graemewelch
Monday 5th September 2011, 19:51
car went into arnold clarke today. they seem to think theyll repair it, i mentioned i was concerned about the rear quater panel and he agreed and said will put a quote forward to my insurance and put car on a jig to check the chassis. he did say it takes avery heavy impact to twist a volvo. they are disputing my drivers seat though. theres a gap between base and back reat. they are claiming wear and tear, i know for a fact it was never like that befor

LeeT5
Thursday 8th September 2011, 22:01
car went into arnold clarke today. they seem to think theyll repair it, i mentioned i was concerned about the rear quater panel and he agreed and said will put a quote forward to my insurance and put car on a jig to check the chassis. he did say it takes avery heavy impact to twist a volvo. they are disputing my drivers seat though. theres a gap between base and back reat. they are claiming wear and tear, i know for a fact it was never like that befor

M8, i know exactly what your going through as my R was rear ended in May this year. It was a 30 - 35mph impact in the rear and i was stationary. I had the same damage your talking about including a very slight crease in the roof 2/3s of the way down the car on one side.

To cut to the chase, the total repair bill came to £5580. The car took 5 weeks to repair by an very reputable body shop. they did an astounding job. New tailgate, rear bumper complete, Jigged the floor, roof and rear o/s quarter panel, window rubbers replaced o/s. All undersealed properly and all doors close perfect. Insurance company wanted to right it off but they got their figures wrong and valued the car at only £5000. Muppets! I had only had the car a few months and she was worth nearly £9k then.

All genuine parts used of course.

If the insurance company want to right her off because the repair just tips the scales, its worth finding out by how much. Could be just a few hundred quid. If you really like the car and don't wanna see it scrapped then offer to pay the difference and get it repaired.

As for the drivers seat....I guarantee you that in the impact the drivers seat lumbar WHIPS bracket would have collapsed. Don't panic, they are designed to do that in a rear impact. The seat probably moved backwards slightly too, mine did. I had to re adjust it. Anyway i had the seat checked out by my dealer, once the car was back on the road and they replaced the broken WHIPS bracket (part# 31101355 - service kit). There only £10.40 and take an hour to fit. Dead easy job, even with leather seats. What a difference now!!

Hope this helps you out in the difficult time.

graemewelch
Friday 9th September 2011, 19:23
cheers for that. ill pass the part numbers onto arnold clarke. ive got no intensions of parting with any money.

just been to view a v60r ex demomstrator. 18k for cash very tempting